Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

I had a friend who got super drunk one night and tried to walk home. He became disoriented and went to the wrong house, which happened to not have locked doors because :canada:.
Anyway, the couple there were really nice and he spent the night on their couch and brought him water and ignored his yelling for his girlfriend throughout the night.

He thanked them and left in the morning.

In the US he would have been shot by some nut with a shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009
When you look at satellite images of a city like Houston (or any larger US city, really) you see miles upon miles of the same type of suburbs. I find that oddly disturbing and I cannot look away.

It's also weirdly paradoxical, considering that the US puts so much value on individualism and freedom but then most people live in, for all intends and purposes, copies of the same house and are so very dependent on their cars. It's such a waste of space and resources.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Fasdar posted:

If you like sprawl, check out Phoenix or Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs somehow managed to be 100% suburbs due to the large military presence in the area, with almost no high density residencies and a footprint the size of cities many, many times its population.

Yeah, I've seen those because I spend way too much time looking at satellite images. Phoenix is insane, for a lack of a better term. The south west of the US is especially interesting because it's mostly desert but then you have sprawling suburbs everywhere. It attracts and repulses me at the same time, like a train wreck. I would consider those the real architectural failures.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Try Bryn Mawr, PA. More 5+ way intersections than there are normal 3 or 4 way ones, in a packed urban setting. Some of the buildings tucked into the acute corners are just ridiculous (like our old doctor's office, which was less than a foot wide for more than 5 horizontal feet at one corner). gently caress ever driving through that town again.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong photos but it doesn't look very packed to me. The main road is even a wide two-lane road. When I think of "packed" I think of any of the old city centers in any European city or in Japan/China/Korea etc..

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Roy posted:

I don't know if I'd call it a failure, because it's one of the most popular housing modes in the world.

European cities 100 years ago had a LOT of negative aspects but they're still considered a successful form, mainly because they were cleaned up and modernized without sacrificing the architecture.

I'm sure if America manages to adopt electric cars while retrofitting suburbia a bit you can have all the good parts of the suburbs without too many negatives.

Popular doesn't mean it cannot be a failure.

How would replacing one type of car with another car change anything? The way I see it the problem is the car dependency, not the type of fuel it uses (although that is an issue, too, of course).

And what does retrofitting suburbia mean?

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Roy posted:

Well, if the cars are electric that opens up the possibility of powering them using green energy, and you minimize local pollution.

Retrofitting means turning old strip-malls and such into small-town centres, increasing density, increasing walkability and adding public transport so that you get less car dependence, and an environment that at least opens up the possibility of not having to drive everywhere.

That's going to take a lot of work, considering how widespread the suburbs are, and I am not sure that is realistic.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Roy posted:

Well, if the cars are electric that opens up the possibility of powering them using green energy, and you minimize local pollution.

Coincidentally, I stumbled upon this article today:
http://www.voxeu.org/article/measuring-environmental-benefits-electric-vehicles

(No idea how reliable their analysis is, though)

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

The Skeleton King posted:

How good is public transit in most of Europe?

Prettu good overal and in comparison to thr US. That's because there is less sprawl and the cities are more compact.

I used to live in a city of less than 100,000 and I took the bus every day to uni. If you want to travel between cities you can take one of the frequent trains. Of course, if you live in a rural area you won't find too many buses and the trains may not stop but that's to be expected.

The difference to the US is that in Europe you could take a car, if you wanted to (car isn't necessarily faster), while in the US you pretty much have to, even in larger cities.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

88h88 posted:

I was just about to mention the cabin inside the cabin. :v:

cabinception

Inception references are still cool and hip, right?

Captain Postal posted:

And for reference of just how poo poo the building is, and how poo poo Seidler is, this is the penthouse balcony (with owner):

That looks really lovely for what I assume is a luxury penthouse.
Also, I don't know if it's the perspective but the vertical and horizontal lines don't look straight to me. It looks like non of the parts fit together and everyone just went "Eh, good enough, mate".

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

MrMenshevik posted:

Here's a real gift for the thread, a collection of pictures from the former East Bloc. Including my personal favorite:

The Office of Street Construction in Tbilisi, which may have already been posted, but man is that some sweet, sweet crazy.

I like how nature is slowly taking over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Pead posted:

They replaced it with a terraced park / shopping arcade now . It's a mall so its not all that great, but it ends up being a pretty cool way to add usable greenspace to the city

I've been there. It's pretty cool. I vaguely remember that some random Japanese guy bought me coffee icecream.

• Locked thread