Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
The Stage One Gallery of designs for a new Guggenheim art museum to be built in Helsinki is a treasure trove of insane architecture.

Because these are concept designs, they're don't need to care about pesky distractions like laws of physics:

Some are pretty cool, like the volcanic island and the alien joyride machine:

But then there's stuff like the golden M&M

The Interior Butt

And my favourite: the Glass Turd

The gallery is HUGE if you want to take a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
This box o' beauty is the finely named Finlandia-house, a congress and event center in Helsinki:

The three towering boxes were built to get deeper cathedral-like acoustics for musical displays.

(the other side actually looks sorta nice)

The failure here was that the designer, Alvar Aalto, absolutely needed the building to be clad in the purest white marble.
The building was finished in 1971, and ten years later they noticed that the Carrara marble couldn't withstand the weather conditions in Finland. The constant freezing and melting as well as the fact the marble slabs were leaning into each other caused the marble to start deforming and bowing outward.

Talks were started on what should replace the material when they'd eventually need to strip the marble and redo the outsides. Several different kinds of white stone were discussed as a replacement, especially a kind of white granite from China that could actually stand against the weather. As the damage became worse year by year, In 1991 a net was installed to stop falling slabs of marble from killing people.

Finally, after more than 10 years of bickering, the committee came to a decision and the building was reclad 1998-1999 ... with the SAME GODDAMN MARBLE that failed in record time in the first place.
That durable Chinese granite? Not white enough.

The new slabs were made slightly smaller, so that when they started weathering, at least they wouldn't lean on each other and make the damage worse!
No surprise, the new slabs are well on their way to deforming by now. The picture here is of the new slabs in 2005, less than 8 years after they'd been installed.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
This is the Futuro, the coolest cabin ever and I would so live in one! Presented first in 1968, it came in baby blue, yellow or white.
Note the outside door opens up as stairs.

It was designed to be a ski cabin that could be constructed and heated as quickly as possible. It was made of fiberglass-reinforced plastic (plastic being the cheap, durable material of the future). Delivered in prefabricated pieces, you could easily put one up in hard-to-travel terrain in just a few days, or even air-drop a completed one on a helicopter.

So why was it a failure? Well, for one, the price was too steep. The price of oil jumped in 1973 and tripled the price of plastic.
That, and there was really very little usable space inside one because of the shape. The plastic would scratch up something fierce.
No storage really, and hardly any room to move. The chairs would pull down to be beds during the night:

The kitchen was small. Yes, this is the kitchen.

Every one came with a fireplace/bbq spot in the middle.

People also protested on the building of these "unnatural" ufo's into their lovely untouched woods. The design was too eccentric to really break into mass market.
The license to build them got sold to 25 countries, only 10 of which actually built any. Less than a hundred of these cabins ever got made and production ended in 1978.

I would still pay any price to live in that.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Fojar38 posted:

where are you supposed to poop

There's a small alcove on the side you can't see

Don't ask me if the poops would just fall down out of the ufo or what. I don't know. It would be pretty rad to piss on the bears in the woods though.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

My absolute favourite thing about this can even be seen in the picture: look through the facade to the roof of the building. See the glass ceiling there? You're looking at the the giant space-wasting hallways that extend from top to bottom to crisscross the building, making sure to divide any usable space into odd angles.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Wanna live here.

Is it some kinda law that art museums must be, by definiton, really weird buildings?

Arterie pillow.

"We really wanna incorporate nature in our building"
"I got you fam"

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
It's the kunsthaus graz in austria. Designed by Peter Cook and Colin Fournier, it's supposed to be some sorta friendly alien or something?
Here's another view:

It can look cool when it's lit up:

But drat if it isn't like some sort of technological tumor in the daylight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Ahaha please tell me those are noses on the side of the building. I also appreciate the giant eggs. Wonder if he was hungry when designing that. At least this one seems to have actual space you can use inside.

• Locked thread