Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Phanatic posted:

The Shard's gotten a lot of bad press but when I was there I thought it was a pretty loving cool building. I mean, yeah, it's pretty aggressive and if *every* building looked like that it'd probably hurt your eyes to look at. But in and of itself I like it:

The Shard Ain't That Bad by Phanatic, on Flickr

do people hate on this one a lot? im only looking at your pic but my negative assessment of it would be "slight wankery in the direction of artsy geometric-ness" which is not really the most withering critique of an exterior

e: i do actually think it's alright, i was just playing devil's advocate. i get kind of a sci-fi dystopian vibe, like the HQ for an amoral corporation that clinically carries out evil high-tech experiments in stark, cold white laboratories

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Komojo posted:

I can't remember if this has been posted before, but I just saw this lovely earth ship on Facebook:

this looks like it's straight out of a claymation film

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Is it bad if I think the concept art for that NYC tower is super rad? Because drat, it's like they took the generic glass & metal buildings of the last decade or so and made some kind of retro-futuristic art deco monolith out of it.

also i loved grinding down that huge sloped side of the LA park building in tony hawk 3

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

joat mon posted:

e: The Dec. 21 shadows are the worst case scenario.

the bottom center one is like a big middle finger lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

a more civilized jewelry box spaceship, from a more funky time

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Uncle Enzo posted:

Definitely not failures, those are 5 story mixed use buildings with a strong sense of style. The only interior pictures are from lobbies and stuff though I think, I'd love to see what an actual dwelling inside looks like.

remember the acid trip space voyage from 2001? pretty much that

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

That building was clearly something before the Scientologists bought it, but I can't figure out the right search terms to find out. Anyone have an idea?

it was a hospital, apparently

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedars-Sinai_Medical_Center

it's in the "history" section

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Jorghnassen posted:

My favorite "this was supposed to be a hospital in the desert" building, where they recycled the design for a boreal college...

i'm sure the college custodial crew loves springtime :(

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the laws and regulations in america for parking and parking lots are often hilarious and sad

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

As someone that now designs parking structures I can back this up.

plz post about this :allears:

we have so much lovely parking in my town, especially downtown. i think it was even mentioned a few dozen pages back (minneapolis). there are a ton of these crappy surface lots with crumbling asphalt/concrete, ugly wastes of space that are bad for the environment, both the natural environment and the human one. they also must be incredibly profitable, because you can usually find a lot near your destination where you can park for literally nickels per hour. it seems like there are a lot of contributing factors to this status quo, though: the property tax system, mediocre public transportation, lingering effects and attitudes of white flight

the only other thing i really know about this issue is that sometimes businesses are required to provide parking, often regardless of how much parking there is in the area otherwise, or how much their customers even use cars. and there often isn't an upper limit to the requirement, or proper incentives to discourage over-building, so you end up with these huge asphalt seas that barely ever show any significant percentage of spaces filled.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

CampingCarl posted:

What are those panels sticking out of it? Are they to block the sun at some certain angle or just for show?

it might give you a little ledge by the window you could keep plants on. wouldn't surprise me if it's also for the "lol how wacky" factor, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

some Dubai douchebag named their building The Torch, used lovely materials, and welp :(

• Locked thread