Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
That looks like a somewhat blander version of the Helsinki railway station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
That has to be taking the piss.

quote:

31 Rooms, extends the network using the architectural technologies that construct Helsinki’s interior citizenry: i.e. walls, doors, windows, and the machinery that defines atmospheric conditions.

quote:

Interior Citizenry - Collection of Atmospheres - Curatorial Hygrometry

quote:

The rest [of the rooms] offer an alternative notion of flexibility based on a rigid set of spatial conditions rather than temporal partitions. Over time, the rooms' dimensions won't change while the way they are used will, opening to new uses not prescribed in the design.

It uses architectural technologies such as walls to partition rooms in space and not time, and the walls... stay the same over time.. whoa.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Captain Cool posted:

You could rebuild the inside structures more cheaply than you could rebuild a normal building since you don't have to worry about redoing windows, ventilation, and uh a roof I guess. Not that it's ever going to happen.

I also like the concept because it's genuinely different otoh literal tech bubble
This is actually an interesting idea - you build an environmentally-controlled area to to build buildings in - but how much energy does it waste to do heating and all the things you normally do for buildings for the entire giant bubble?

Elukka fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 3, 2015

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Victory City posted:

If a resident living in one of the wards, where he will have only a bed and a locker, suddenly found himself in a financial position where his bank balance had dropped below the minimum required for a ward, then that resident will have to be put out.
Great word choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WynKKY1uPwo
Citizen 5169-Kappa, report to expulsion processing for financial malcompliance.

"Yes, yes, I know it seems harsh... It's just the way it has to go. Don't worry. You won't feel a thing."

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

newreply.php posted:

sure it's easy to mock big government's projects, but let's not forgot the common man's real estate:

I built this in The Sims 1 as a kid.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
All Concrete is Beautiful

I think brutalism toes a very thin line between cool and depressing. It really needs greenery, I'm not sure it can work well in wintery places.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
80's Houston kinda resembles 40's Hiroshima at a glance.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Millions of Crows posted:

Any time we see stairs without a railing a bunch of you turn into bitchy old grammas screaching "DEATHTRAP!" Ate you too fat or shaky to navigate stairs unassisted?
People in a hurry bumping into each other

People not paying attention

People trying to pass each other while carrying something big or being giant and fat

People tripping on something on the floor

Kids running about

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Angela Christine posted:

Uncle Enzo and the Tire Fire Crew
I'd join this post-apocalypse posse.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The way it terminates in the sea and sky gives the impression that it's somewhere high up. At first I thought it was on a roof. The Registan in Samarkand has a similar effect and it's really cool.

Just nothing in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
That's one of those buildings where the coolness/lameness quotient hangs on whether it works and is practical.

• Locked thread