Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

Have any of you ever lived in a place like this? I always wondered how the hell you give people directions to your house, or find it when you're walking home from the bar after one too many.

Places like that honestly fill me with dread. There's a place near Nashville that has row, after row, after row, after row of absolutely identical poo poo looking houses that I'm sure it would take months for me to figure out which one was mine without staring at the house numbers that were in a really lovely location that I would hate to rely on for an ambulance to find were there an emergency. I'm going to try and find it and get back to you.

King of the Hill was a documentary I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Frosted Flake posted:

One of Canada's best museums was thoroughly ruined.

Before

After

It's hard to find photos that truly convey how awful the ROM is now. Especially the interior, which is huge and ugly and doesn't actually have any exhibits in it.

Someone turned on noclip

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Fojar38 posted:

I noticed Canada seems overrepresented in this thread.

The Queen decreed that we had to build lovely buildings.

I think they're cool in a Cyberpunk way

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ambrose Burnside posted:

the ROM's giant crystal is extremely stupid and impractical but its grown on me b/c 1) it unduly upsets people and 2) as far as deliberately-jarring melding of classical and modern architecture goes it's balls-out full-throttle full commitment, which is cool

It's full of wasted space though

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm really disappointed by how well represented Canada has been so far.

Towns in Ontario used to have very nice mixed use spaces downtown. Nearly all of these towns were built between 1890 and 1930 so there's a nicely consistent look to them too.

Then all the retail moved out to giant, ugly unwalkable sprawl (i.e Vaugn) and killed a lot of those downtowns for years. Now some of those downtowns in the larger towns are getting turned into, you guessed it - Condos.

Can't loving wait for the condo market to crash

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

RandomFerret posted:

I've been trying to find a futuro house to buy for years. Apparently somebody has the moulds and is setting up to make new ones, but he wants $200k a pop.

That's goddamn ridiculous

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Chinatown posted:

"Goons Bitching About How Goons Don't Like Brutalism: The Thread."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, he probably at least went over the whole thing with Nuln Oil

The real question is whether or not they drybrushed them and where

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

EoRaptor posted:

The buildings are supposed to be modular stacks of whatever shape is needed, like giant piles of end tables. Like most of their peers, things like plumbing, heating, cooling, lighting, security, access or functionality are for others to draw in, and are below the consideration of true architects.

The tent seems big enough and high enough that rain noise probably won't be a big deal, but watering the plants is going to suck.

I would think the PCBs are a bigger problem since, IIRC, that's going to be the google compound that's on a superfund site. It had a big controversy because the poor ventilation was probably slowly killing everyone in the building.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tochiazuma posted:

I don't know what the gently caress the OP is on about and most of this thread is full of architechtural goodness as far as my untutored eye goes, but I think many will agree that this is an eyesore:

Mississauga (Ontario, Canada) city hall. Horrific.

Mississauga is mostly boring-ugly apartment buildings and condos. But drat is that city hall awful

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tochiazuma posted:

I like to imagine that it gives people in Mississauga something to do. Like, stand there and examine the layers of ugly. Because I'm sure there's gently caress all else to do there.

Yup

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

paperchaseguy posted:

haha just kidding! these shots are from the next Bioshock game

Not enough steam punk or heavy handed mosaics, sorry

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

netally posted:

And here's a Brutalist favourite of mine; the Alexandra Road Estate. Perfect for filming a 70s scifi movie:

Oh hey, those were a lovely ghetto in The Kingsmen

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

wayfinder posted:

"So Mr Jillette, what kind of house would you like"

"Just gently caress me up

He does have a bondage chamber hidden in it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Komojo posted:

I like reading about far-fetched city planning ideas that will never see the light of day.

First, we have Sky City in Changsha, China, which would be the tallest building in the world if it actually gets built.

The construction company wants to build it from prefabricated parts and do all of the construction in 90 days. Apparently that's not even enough time for the steel to settle properly. Also there doesn't seem to be any plan for dealing with wind or fire evacuation.

Next up, Freedom Ship, a 10-billion dollar Libertarian paradise that will never be built:

In addition to being huge and impractical, the design would fit right in this thread if it were real.

Finally there's 8-City, the 280-billion dollar floating city in South Korea that will never be built:

featuring the giant dildo building:

There was a thread about this earlier. I may have said this last time, but I think it would actually make a pretty cool level in a video game. That would be a feasible way to make back the money that was put into this, as opposed to the actual money that was probably spent on hookers and drugs.

You should play Brink. Well, actually you shouldn't since the AI is terrible and no one plays it online anymore.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ghosthorse posted:

Thought maybe that was the 401 in Ontario. Welcome to North America's widest/the world's busiest highway!

Marvel at its 18 lanes of traffic!

Gaze in wonder at its seemingly nonsensical design!

Get stuck on it for hours after regular 40+ car pile-ups (available between Windsor and London on a 200km stretch of road hell during the 90's)!

See it with only one car after they begrudgingly closed it only because a giant propane factory exploded!

Be caught in its endless road widening and resurfacing!

But seriously, getting stuck on the 401 heading through or into Toronto for like 2 hours is something almost every Ontario driver gets to experience at least once.

The 401 is the purest form of driving in Ontario

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

cheerfullydrab posted:

It's still a sickness. You could post a rendering of a 10x 10 metal and glass cube in a woodland setting on your Facebook right now, and it would get 50 likes. Even if you only have 10 friends. People just love that poo poo.

That type of contrast triggers something in our ape brains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

A Winner is Jew posted:

That might be so, but I can 100% guarantee you that every Intel chip plant is designed and fully laid out in feet and inches, including all the piping/conduits/ducts going to all the tools.

Take that metric system!

How much is that in Hogheads

• Locked thread