Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Still nutty they turned the Danvers State Hospital (which is packed to the gills with ghosts and was a mad popular "urbex" location) into condos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Proposition Joe posted:

replaced a vibrant mixed-use district called Scollay Square.

lol that's an interesting way of describing it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I loathe driving so suburbs are the worst invention in human history to me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MikeJF posted:

I don't have much experience but I really do feel like all american suburbs need is decent cheap fast train runs into the city.

yeah it sucks that the closest stop on our high speed rail/subway is about as long a drive as it takes to drive into Boston itself, and that city has TWO stops on the T. Massachusetts is tiny that poo poo should go through the whole state, or at least the eastern part.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 17, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Skeleton King posted:

Honest question. What cities in the US are actually good for people who don't have cars? How good is public transit in most of Europe?

boston, but you actually have to live IN the city. You can walk most anywhere, the T just makes it easier.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they're stupid the brutal explanation makes a lot more sense/sounds cooler

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

peanut posted:

In Japan, apartment/office buildings need names because the address system is unfriendly to new structures. Offices are usually like "Suzuki Building #2" but apartments get creative.
The Royal, Lovely Garden, Atlantis 21, Eclaire, Excellent Corn...

i'm curious how the address system works.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"The Japanese system is complex and idiosyncratic, the product of the natural growth of urban areas, as opposed to the systems used in cities that are laid out as grids and divided into quadrants or districts."

uh i live outside of one of the older major cities in the us and it's still numbered normally despite growing naturally over time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

anyone link penn jilette's house

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also he has a weird sex dungeon in there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cultural Imperial posted:

If so, why is he so highly respected?

you've seen what high paid and respected architects have done over and over in this thread and yet still pose this query.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's insane that the civil investigator can't do anything if the bad guys just don't respond. and lol at the fact there are no lemon laws for loving houses of all things.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Computer viking posted:

While I understand and to degree agree with your point, consider this:

Sometimes, a city or organisation wants a large decorative statement that doubles as a museum or airport or whatever. For these occasions, form might well be more important than function - so effectively they want a sculptor who works in the medium of buildings. We tend to call those people architects.

how do you people grasp that the issue folks are having is that the buildings look cool but are useless and thus they failed as architects.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bogan Krkic posted:

I think he's disagreeing on what the fundamental purpose of an architect is

he's wrong.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 6, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Default Settings posted:

All I can see is this:

the real arkham asylum is/was near me and is now condos.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Accretionist posted:

A strikingly large parking lot.

I hate that parking lot.

why build a parking lot that could fit everybody in your state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gorilla Salad posted:

"Hey Bob, those drat liberals say our panopticon prison is a gross violation of human rights, but we spent so much time on the design. What should we do with it?"

"I know, turn it into a school!"

they rebuilt our school during my freshman year and everyone said it looked like a prison:

it's a hexagon, only that central building is the high school to the left is the middle school/junior high (same thing here) building and the right is the gym/cafeteria/etc building

• Locked thread