Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Architect being all "lol, gently caress you, Fachwerk!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Omi-Polari posted:

If anyone here ever visits Houston I'd recommend the Rothko Chapel, which is weirdly plopped in the middle of a suburban neighborhood:

Is this speculative architecture from an alternative timeline where churches double as air raid shelter?

Actually, after writing this line I did a bit of research. Every building on this website is a WW2 air raid shelter ("Hochbunker") in the German town of Trier.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Ease of construction. At that point they didn't expect that anything but a direct hit could seriously damage the larger shelters.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Blistex posted:

Holy poo poo, this doesn't appear to actually add any usable space whatsoever!
i've been to the dresden military museum - that wedge seems to have added an admittedly nice panoramic platform, and a lot of light to the interior of the museum. I'm quite sure it actually reduced exhibition floor space, though.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Vienna is a very scenic city.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

I've seen my fair share of gothic and neogothic buildings, but those have to be the worst. I think I'm actually getting a bit offended by their mere existence.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

I don't think I'm the only European who gets creeped out by aerial photography of US cities.
It all looks so unnatural and unsustainable.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Hey guys, let me link you to The Something Awful Forums Discussion Ask / Tell › Ask me about being a Traffic Engineer! for all your road planning needs.

And let's return to the finer details of post-soviet DIY architecture.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Angela Christine posted:

What happened there? Did the building owner decide to build an extension with whatever he had lying around?
No, I am sure this has all been thought through well, and permitted by proper authorities.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think an important point here is that Brutalism is in the danger zone for architecture: so old that people are used to it and tired of looking at it, but not so old that it's become classic and beautiful.
It is just now that 1950s architecture receives protection.
And guess what - if it's actually being taken care of and restorated, it doesn't look half as dirty-glass-panes-and-tacky-gold-lovely as we are used to.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Thought I'd just drop this link here: http://www.sosbrutalism.org

quote:

#SOSBrutalism is a growing database that currently contains over 700 Brutalist buildings. But, more importantly, it is a platform for a large campaign to save our beloved concrete monsters. The buildings in the database marked red are in particular jeopardy. This is an unprecedented initiative: #SOSBrutalism is open to everyone who wants to join the campaign to save Brutalist buildings!

It's got a nice gallery with all sorts of concrete crazyness.

Edit: Especially nice: The Timeline of Brutalism

Default Settings fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 23, 2015

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

gender illusionist posted:

which episode of star trek is that from?
It's from the fifth movie, "What does God need with an apartment block".

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

In my opinion, a good architect should also be a good engineer, good designer and good artist.
Not all of them are.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Architist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

All I can see is this:

• Locked thread