Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Phlegmish posted:

looks like the kind of pyramid i'd build, i don't understand this spergy tryhard obsession with straight lines and geometrical shapes

If you want to be the only guy in the afterlife that lives in a bent pyramid go ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

netally posted:

Not sure why I've never heard of this one until today. The Garden Bridge is planned to open in London in 2018.

It's a cool concept, but apparently is already having financial problems, won't be accessible by cyclists, and will be closed during nighttime hours. On the plus side, I'm sure tourists will love it.

The funny thing about this was that when they first announced it everyone thought "oh that's a good idea" but then as soon as one iota of thought was put into the practicalities and the stuff about charging for access and poo poo came out the entirety of London did a 180 and it's now regarded as a shambles.

It's such a mess now that I think it'll probably be viewed as toxic to any politician that backs it, plus some rich guy nearby has taken it to the supreme court on the grounds that it got circle jerked through the planning process and never should have got off the ground.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

What in the gently caress this is a bar called Topolski near London Waterloo station.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

What do you suppose the sriracha of architecture is?

Taking old buildings and needlessly covering them in glass. It's ok a few times but not all the time everywhere on everything.

Tunga posted:

I work near London Bridge and have to look at this thing every day and...I like it. It's modern, simply, and because it's all glass it doesn't stand out against the sky, it just sits there being all tall and pointy. It's massive and yet it doesn't impose itself like One Canada Square does.

Same. I like the cheesegrater one as well. The walkie talkie is loving dumb though.

Speaking of dumb ideas, there's a tower in south ish London that has three wind turbines in the roof but theyre permanently disabled because the transient vibrations pissed off the people that owned the penthouses. So they're left with three motionless turbines as a monument to incompetence.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 12, 2015

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

The thing about the Shard is how out of place it is: that part of London is mainly typical 3 - 5 storey mixed use buildings dating from Victorian to modern. The Shard comes erupting out of that low-rise sprawl like a zillion meter high alien spacecraft. It really is strikingly incongruous.

Ehhh, not so much. St Thomas's hospital is right next to it and is maybe half the height and thats a grey brown concrete monstrosity. Most buildings along the river around there are about 10 floors, then there's the cluster of towers around the natwest building and bishopsgate.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I do actually like the way it looks but the failed turbines are just hilarious. I can just imagine some poor turbine engineer trying to explain why it wouldn't work and being told they had no vision.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Lt. Tanaka posted:

Its a house designed specifically for humans who live with twenty cats.

http://dornob.com/remodeled-house-has-insanely-fun-cat-centric-interior/

And one perpetually terrified goldfish by the looks of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

RE: Concrete, a colleague who used to be a civil engineer was saying that part of the reason that loads of tower blocks built in the 60s and 70s in the UK are being demolished is that (in addition to being terrible fire hazards) the concrete slabs were pre fabs that were layed next to each other with the steel rebar sticking out then joined on site by pouring concrete into the gap between slabs. Great in theory as you get one continuous slab without having to form in place but apparently the gaps were used as dumps for whatever rubbish the builders had lying around they couldn't be bothered to take down x levels so the joints aren't contiguous and are filled with coke cans and shite .

Next time I see my friend thats a structural engineer now I'm going to tell him this and it'll probably give him nightmares.

• Locked thread