Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

It was originally supposed to be half as tall but the developer couldn't sell any units so naturally the police and fire pension fund was like "Rich people will love this, build it twice as tall!" They named it Museum Tower.

The design of the tower focused light on a museum next door that has a glass roof founded by one of the most powerful and wealthiest families in the city and made it where they had to put a lot of their art in storage, destroyed another piece of art and killed a few trees so no rich people wanted to buy units in a building that ruined a museum and seriously loving pissed off one of the most influential families in the city.

It's been open like 2 years and I think they have sold like 30 of over 100 units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Volcott posted:

I dunno, I kind of like the design.

The real problem with Dallas City hall is it was specifically designed to be really unfriendly. I mean not in the brutalist "It is what it is" statement, it was an implicate "If we make it looks really imposing and unfriendly people won't want to protest here" . Designing a city hall to be intentionally vaguely threatening and unpleasant to it's citizens is problematic.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Kavak posted:

i like how there's no trees and half the fences are missing

Lower middle class neigborhood, privacy fences are actually surprisingly expensive so tract home builders in cheap neighborhoods will make them optional, especially since you can't cover up shoddy rear end construction with drywall like you did in the house.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

Have any of you ever lived in a place like this? I always wondered how the hell you give people directions to your house, or find it when you're walking home from the bar after one too many.

I know someone, he and his husband bought like a 2,000 sqft house house in a new sub-division, it was close to one of their work places, far from the other but he could take the train to work after a short drive.

They broke up, my friend kept the house, his work transferred him to a one hour commute that you couldn't take the train to. His cats died. He now lives along in a big house, all his friends live in the city, all his neighbors are young families. Every street in his neighborhood is named after a Monopoly street. I believe it is my personal hell.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

made me realize how much I want a balcony gardening area in a house. ( I realize drainage and blah blah reality but it would be cool to have a lawn on your second floor for goofs)

I have one of those fake dog grass patches on my balcony, I thought about doing fake grass in the whole area but I figured I could keep my dogs confined to the one grass area that they are allowed to pee on so I haven't. I do garden out there though, can't wait for it to warm up a little bit and replant.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Libelous Slander posted:

let me just lay this skyscraper sideways above your property. hope you don't mind!

This kind of reminds me of Citigroup Center:

To build the building they bought the air rights from a church (pictured left) and cantilevered the skyscraper above it. Everyone thought it was super cool and it was studied in architecture school for how initiative it was. Then one day a student called the architect and was like "Hey, we are studying your building, it is super cool but every time I do the simulation of it it looks like it would fall over if it got hit by a 70 mile hour wind from the corner. Obviously this isn't the case because you aren't staggeringly incompetent, how did you guys solve the problem? Anyways, super cool, I really want to know because it's really impressive, k bye tnx."

Yeah, not so much, they never simulated it from the corner, it would totally fall over and kill thousands of people if it got hit by a storm from the corner. They secretly fixed it in the middle of the night by welding on a bunch of supports. Secretly because people would obviously freak the gently caress out if they found out they worked in/worked next to/live next to a sky scraper that could actually blow over from a wind gust.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

fyodor posted:

seriouspost: if you love brutalism, have you actually lived amongst it? i grew up around that poo poo and it is the antithesis of joy and corrosive to the human soul. it's the kind of thing that you would line up your leaders against and have them shot in the back of the head. human bloodstain silhouettes would make a lot of sense on the sides of brutalist buildings.

I live in a brutalist building, it has nice huge bay windows in every room but it is vaguely threatening from the outside.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Noggin Monkey posted:

TBF it's a pretty sexy building. They're also supposed to be renovating the facade soon to help deal with the reflectivity issue, after several years of throwing tantrums at the Nasher. They still continue to sell units, albeit at a very slow pace.

Apparently both parties have agreed on a "solution" and it will be announced soon, I can't imagine it is limited to adjusting the Nasher roof. Regardless the pension fund is going to take a huge bath on the building because of gross negligence.

quote:

This building is such a poo poo show, but the "civic plaza" out front really takes the cake. It's one of the most brutally oppressive public open spaces in Dallas.

Completely by intentional design, that's what gets me.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I've heard numerous, numerous people say they like it but god this thing is a turd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

From an ascetic standpoint this is ugly as poo poo, but from a functionality one it's actually really clever since they're using the mechanics of suspension bridges to remove all the structural elements from the interior. All the structural/MEP elements being on the exterior means you get a massive amount of unobstructed factory/warehouse space so you don't have to design the poo poo you're putting inside around columns that are usually holding the roof up.

There of ways of doing it that don't make it look like a complete turd though.

• Locked thread