Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

and they're all made out of ticky-tacky
and they all look just the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

As a Millennial I posted:

in Scott Adams' utopia, they would use a new form of Miracle-Gro that had no negative impact on the environment.

thats the best part, his entire scenario is basically "what if everything that causes problems in civilization was changed so it didnt cause problems then everything would be awesome wouldnt it"

it also ignores how much slack the outside world has to pick up to make and deliver your self driving cars, identical wifi routers, astroturf and various sauces and condiments

sorry about seriouspost

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

lol

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
so what happens when your neighbor decides that he wants his communist greenhouse contribution to be durian. or poppies. or he wants to tan his own leather in the communal backyard

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
can i beat my wife in dilbertopia. i mean not hard just enough to remind her that shes not as good a human as me

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

whoa when did logansryche start writing for dilbert.com?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
“If you’ve ever taken advice from a cartoonist, there’s a good chance it did not turn out well. For starters, it’s hard to know when a cartoonist is being serious and when he or she is constructing an elaborate practical joke. I’ve crafted pranks that spanned years, sometimes when no one was in on the joke but me. Some of those pranks are still percolating.”

I was the victim of one of those pranks. And until reading this introduction, I did not know it. Here is what happened.

When I launched IT-Harvest, my industry analyst firm, I had a brilliant idea for making my website “sticky”: publish a security themed cartoon every day. Adams had blogged frequently about helping beginner cartoonists launch their career so I sent him an email.
I have to paraphrase these emails since I lost several years’ worth of email records, thanks to Yahoo.

To: scott

Hi Scott: I am launching a new website and I wondered if you could point me in the direction of a cartoonist who would like to create a daily security themed cartoon? I could work out a payment scheme whereby he/she got a penny per page view.

I was quite amazed when the great man himself responded to my email, although disappointed by his reaction to my idea:

To: richard@it-harvest.com

Richard: This is a horrible idea. It will never work. No cartoonist who is any good will ever work on these terms.

-Scott

Talk about balloon deflating. Oh well on to other things.

But then a week later, on a Friday, I got the following email from Scott Adams.

Richard: I have been thinking about your proposal. I have become very bored with Dilbert and have been looking for something new. I will write your security cartoon.

-Scott

Wow! Pop the Champaign corks. This is HUGE! I am embarrassed to admit that I was truly excited. Not since the first time I got an email from a friendly business person in Nigeria has my head spun with the possibilities. I immediately shared the good news with my wife and kids. I forwarded the email to my brother who used to be a cartoonist. I started making bigger plans for the web site.

After a weekend of cooling off I responded to Scott, accepting his offer and asking what the next steps should be. His response:

Richard: This is a scam, my email was hacked.

-Scott

I was shaken with disappointment. I was also impressed with the cleverness of hackers that target Scott Adams. Wow, they read and responded to his emails. That is pretty funny, even if I was the victim of the joke.

I never published this story, even though the fact that Scott Adams’ email was hacked was news worthy. Until reading his admission that he has practical jokes that have been “percolating for years.” This was one of them! I was still falling for it eight years later because I took him at his word.

That is how I was duped by Dilbert.

• Locked thread