Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GTGastby
Dec 28, 2006

davey4283 posted:

That's actually pretty crazy. I know people at work that do that but had no idea there was an industry term for it. I'll probably just call a financial advisor.

I was hoping someone in here had run into this before.

I work abroad and transfer large sums back to the US on occasion. As other people have said, don't worry about the amounts unless you are doing something illegal. If you are earning the money legally and are filing the proper tax forms (actually not as important as like you won't owe any taxes anyways, hence shouldn't have any fines for not-reporting - though you are still technically required to) then there is absolutely nothing for you to worry about. Your bank will have to send in some extra paperwork, but you shouldn't even notice. Lots of people do this every year, nothing will happen unless you randomly get audited or whatever automatic system they use flags you for some reason.

At any rate, as the person above said, even if you do get audited, it's simple to show you earned the money legally, so there's no problem.

You should be more concerned with trying to save a few bucks during the actual transfer by checking out various banks/services than the amount you transfer.

A much bigger issue to to make sure you are filing your local bank information with the US (FBAR) every year.

GTGastby fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread