Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6780810

A homeless man was shot to death in LA today. Video looks like he's being tazed at the same time by multiple officers and then they step back after one yells he has a gun and they just blow him away while he's on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Looks like the narrative's already been changed to "reaching for the officer's gun":

quote:

While on the ground,suspect and #lapd officers struggled over one of officer's handgun at which point an officer involved shooting occurred

Since this is supposed to be about worldwide police issues, let's bring up a couple from the UK. Last year was a record breaker for police complaints, either due to a change in what the regulatory commission could examine, or knock-on effects from the US scandals.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/feb/02/police-complaints-rise-15-percent-in-a-year

quote:

The Metropolitan police, the UK’s largest force, had the most complaint cases made against it last year, with 7,115, IPCC figures show. It was followed by Greater Manchester police (1,536), West Midlands police (1,473), Devon and Cornwall police (1,364) and Kent police (1,200).

The largest percentage increase in complaint cases, year on year, was recorded by Northumbria police, which went from 401 complaints to 794, a rise of 98%, followed by City of London police, where complaints rose 90% from 123 to 234 between 2012/13 and 2013/14.

Dame Anne Owers, the IPCC chair, said the 15% rise in complaints “would not be a cause for concern if it reflected a greater public confidence in the complaints system or improved access to it. This is unlikely to be the case. The rising number of complaints makes it all the more important that the system is, and is seen to be, fair, accessible and transparent. Better public confidence in policing crucially depends on confidence that, where things may have gone wrong, appropriate action will be taken as soon as possible.

“It is clear from these statistics that forces still struggle to get it right first time, and there are now serious questions about whether they get it right the second time either. We will continue to work with them to improve complaints handling. But that is not enough. We urgently need radical reforms to the system as a whole, to make it more accessible and straightforward, and to strengthen independent oversight. That is why the current review of the system is welcome and overdue.”

Oxford joins the list of areas with a history of covering up child abuse because doing your job is hard regrettable failures in procedure which have since been rectified.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/mar/01/gangs-abused-hundreds-of-oxfordshire-children-serious-case-review

quote:

Police and social services in Oxfordshire will be heavily criticised for not doing enough to stop years of violent abuse and enslavement of six young girls, aged 11-15, by a gang of men. Such was the nature of the abuse, suffered for more than eight years by the girls, it was likened to torture. All of the victims had a background in care.

A serious case review by the Oxfordshire safeguarding children’s board, to be published on Tuesday, will condemn Thames Valley police for not believing the young girls, for treating them as if they had chosen to adopt the lifestyle, and for failing to act on repeated calls for help.

Oxfordshire social services – which had responsibility for the girls’ safety – will be equally damned for knowing they were being groomed and for failing to protect them despite compelling evidence they were in danger. One social worker told a trial that nine out of 10 of those responsible for the girls was aware of what was going on.
[...]
The case echoes the child exploitation scandals in Rotherham, Rochdale and Derby involving gangs of men of Asian background targeting white girls in care. In Oxford, however, the grooming, sexual torture and trafficking took place on the streets of the Cowley area of the city, in churchyards, parks, a guesthouse and empty flats procured for the purpose of drugging the girls and handing them around to be gang raped and brutalised.

A 12-year-old victim was branded by the men and, when she fell pregnant, subjected to a backstreet abortion in a house in Reading. Over six years, she was repeatedly raped by groups of men in what she described as “torture sex”.

Key findings in the serious case review will expose how police officers and social workers did not listen to the girls when they spoke of the abuse they were suffering, did not believe them and dismissed them.

The girls and some of their abusers crossed the police and social services radar multiple times. In 2006 alone, the police received four complaints from the young girls about the men, with their accounts corroborated in some cases. One victim reported the abuse twice to police in 2006. She told officers: “They are doing it to other girls, little girls with their school uniforms on.”

There were thousands of contacts between both agencies and the girls and they were reported missing at least 450 times. One victim, known as Girl C, has spoken of how her foster mother reported her missing 80 times.

The number of young people identified by the report – more than 300 – as victims of child sexual exploitation in the last 15 years is considered a robust figure because the girls have all been spoken to by police or social services.

But the numbers are likely to be an underestimate. Figures from Thames Valley police reveal that 220 of the 2,000 child abuse cases reported across the force in 13 months from July 2013 to August 2014 involved child sexual exploitation.

And lastly an old story, mostly to give a bit of context on the differences in policing over here, controversy over police in Inverness carrying guns on duty. Whole article is worth a read, has some good statistics and info on police firearms use.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28656324

quote:

In addition, Dr Mick North, whose five-year-old daughter Sophie died at Dunblane Primary in 1996, hit out at the force for citing the tragedy in support of its policy. He said changes to the system would not have helped as "the incident was all over in three minutes".

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
Shooting itself looks legit to me but I question how exactly he got his hands on someone's gun considering there was no reason for the cops to have a gun drawn during that fight. Countdown to someone posting about how brawling with the cops is a normal everyday occurrence and totally not relevant to the shooting, though.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

semper wifi posted:

Shooting itself looks legit to me
Well that there is a statement.

Like, you agree that a shooting happened?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I really don't know how you can reach or struggle for a gun with multiple grown men on your back and being tazed at the same time, that's just me though.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Ytlaya posted:

After all court proceedings, right before deliberations began, I was chosen as one of the two alternates (14 are chosen for the jury, with 2 randomly being chosen as alternates after the court proceedings and right before deliberations). In a way I'm kind of relieved that I won't potentially be involved in ruined this guy's life, even if he is guilty. On the other hand, I'll be really upset if the defendant ends up being convicted of attempted first degree murder, when I definitely wouldn't have settled for anything above attempted second degree murder (there was basically nothing proving that the shooter wasn't intoxicated or acting in the passion of the moment or something).

At the end, I'm left just feeling sort of empty about the whole thing. Even if the defendant was the shooter (which he probably was), the victim had specifically said that he didn't want to ruin his life or anything, or even prosecute in the first place. So given that prison isn't really rehabilitative, what is him being convicted of this crime going to accomplish? I guess it might prevent him from committing some other crime, but I have a strong feeling from watching the video that the defendant (if he was the shooter) was drunk or under the influence of something when he shot the victim.

Everything considered, being on a sequestered jury was a very unique experience. You end up talking with a bunch of strangers a whole lot when you don't have any internet access or TV. We got a lot of free food and the hotel they kept us at was nice. I'm still pretty relieved it's over, though.

edit: As a side note, I was kind of amazed at how similar the court proceedings were to the sort of stuff you see on TV and in major cases. Not in terms of having DNA evidence and stuff (our case only had the video and 4 witnesses - the victim + 3 police officers involved in the investigation), but in terms of the defense and prosecution giving these really involved speeches and objecting to things and what have you.

Thanks for posting this, I'm always fascinated to hear about people's experiences as juror in criminal (or civil) juries.

What were your impressions of the defense attorney and the prosecutor? Was there anything they said in particular that you found particularly persuasive? How did you feel about the constant objections and the dramatic speechifying? What was the defense's argument--that the shooter was someone else?

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

FUN TIME

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I really don't know how you can reach or struggle for a gun with multiple grown men on your back and being tazed at the same time, that's just me though.

If the four grown men rely on pointing guns and yelling rather than armlocks, maybe. I remember getting out of being wrassled to the ground when I was about 12 by three or four of my friends, because they weren't very enthusiastic and got in each others' way.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Excited Delirium makes people do crazy things, man. Like be shot.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Everyone knows that homeless people synthesize oxygen into adrenalin.

The hungrier they are, the stronger they are. Those cops should have called for backup, he could have gone SSJ2.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

semper wifi posted:

Shooting itself looks legit to me but I question how exactly he got his hands on someone's gun considering there was no reason for the cops to have a gun drawn during that fight. Countdown to someone posting about how brawling with the cops is a normal everyday occurrence and totally not relevant to the shooting, though.

You already set off the countdown, you do not have a right to set a new one.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Going to take the bold stance that brawling with four cops shouldn't end with a shooting even if you're a UFC heavyweight high on PCP.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Going to go with the assumption that there was, in fact, no reaching for any gun.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

A little older, but a good thing to send people who say "why don't people just file a complaint after the fact if they feel they were harassed by the police?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8v7lF5ttlQ

Also last week's This American Life is a pretty pro-click, it's honest without being the sloppy blowjob of cops they usually get (though it shows them as beleaguered servants rather than power-tripping oppressors)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

prussian advisor posted:

What were your impressions of the defense attorney and the prosecutor? Was there anything they said in particular that you found particularly persuasive? How did you feel about the constant objections and the dramatic speechifying? What was the defense's argument--that the shooter was someone else?

I was kind of mixed about the "speech-ifying." I understand that both sides are trying to give their view of what happened and using tools of persuasion to try to convince the jury. While it felt a little bit like I was being sold a used car or something, it wasn't that bad. That being said, your average juror might be a lot more susceptible to believing a prosecutor/defense attorney just because they give a pretty speech, so it might be more harmful than I think.

The objections weren't really "constant"; I was just surprised that they weren't super rare. Every single one was done by the defense and all were also pretty valid and upheld by the judge (the prosecutor did a lot of questioning where she'd go "So you're saying ______ said/did ______?" to witnesses, particularly the victim, basically suggesting stuff to them).

The defense's argument was more just trying to create doubt about anything and everything. Like, the defense attorney would talk about how there's no evidence but the victim that the defendant was the shooter, but then also point out that, even if the defendant was the shooter, there was nothing showing it was premeditated. A lot of the stuff he said was kind of dumb and grasping at straws (like the defense claiming that he only fired the bullet that hit the defendant and the bullet that you could see hit a code bottle, when it's pretty obvious he fired 6 shots in the video), but it doesn't bother me as much when the defense does that; it's their job to give you some sliver of doubt.

Ultimately, since the defense was pleading "Not Guilty", I guess that the argument was that the shooter was someone else entirely (with no specific person in mind). But I think the defense understood that there was a pretty high chance that the jury would think the shooter was the defendant, so he also spent some time addressing the issue of pre-meditation (which I found pretty persuasive; the prosecution was just sort of blindly claiming that the defendant acted with premeditation and didn't have any evidence).

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ytlaya posted:

At the end, I'm left just feeling sort of empty about the whole thing. Even if the defendant was the shooter (which he probably was), the victim had specifically said that he didn't want to ruin his life or anything, or even prosecute in the first place. So given that prison isn't really rehabilitative, what is him being convicted of this crime going to accomplish? I guess it might prevent him from committing some other crime, but I have a strong feeling from watching the video that the defendant (if he was the shooter) was drunk or under the influence of something when he shot the victim.
I'm interested in why you feel this way. Do you feel like being intoxicated diminishes his responsibility for his actions? Should society at large (via the State) not seek punishment if the victim is uninterested in cooperating with police? Is there something to be said for removing the notably shooty members of our society, if just temporarily, to someplace where they can't get drunk and pop off a few rounds in a convenience store?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Murderion posted:

Looks like the narrative's already been changed to "reaching for the officer's gun":

quote:

While on the ground,suspect and #lapd officers struggled over one of officer's handgun at which point an officer involved shooting occurred

By the way, I just love the new levels of passive voice achieved in "at which point an officer involved shooting occurred."

Murderion posted:

Oxford joins the list of areas with a history of covering up child abuse because doing your job is hard regrettable failures in procedure which have since been rectified.
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/mar/01/gangs-abused-hundreds-of-oxfordshire-children-serious-case-review

quote:

:barf:

I don't even know what to say about this. I'm afraid to even open my mouth because what's going to come out is going to be a bunch of dry-heaving and incoherent screaming. Maybe that's what they were counting on. That the scale of of the brutality inflicted and their staggering failure/complicity in it would just render people beyond the capacity for coherent criticism.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I got a really long monologue from a prosecutor who was fairly surprised that I did not want excessive harm to my stabber. Since I was on-duty and was attacked, the prosecution was fairly harsh and aggressive. I ended up being requested by the defence attorney and I gave a short speech about leniency and forgiving, especially for someone I view to be my patient and thus a person of special connection as a Firefighter.

I sure as gently caress wasn't going to give that lovely prepared tirade on behalf of tve prosecution. "Hero blabla duty blabla honor blurhhh valor blurgghhh heroism bleegghhh life and death blooogghh every day"

It was funny though to see the faces of many people. Many of them are so oriented to their draconian world views. I just fail to see how a deranged and mentally ill man drugged out of his mind who stabs a firefighter benefits from being thrown into jail for something so severe as attempted murder. loving retarded.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Vahakyla posted:

I got a really long monologue from a prosecutor who was fairly surprised that I did not want excessive harm to my stabber. Since I was on-duty and was attacked, the prosecution was fairly harsh and aggressive. I ended up being requested by the defence attorney and I gave a short speech about leniency and forgiving, especially for someone I view to be my patient and thus a person of special connection as a Firefighter.

I sure as gently caress wasn't going to give that lovely prepared tirade on behalf of tve prosecution. "Hero blabla duty blabla honor blurhhh valor blurgghhh heroism bleegghhh life and death blooogghh every day"

It was funny though to see the faces of many people. Many of them are so oriented to their draconian world views. I just fail to see how a deranged and mentally ill man drugged out of his mind who stabs a firefighter benefits from being thrown into jail for something so severe as attempted murder. loving retarded.

Leniency? Um, you left him alive, didn't you?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

Leniency? Um, you left him alive, didn't you?

He said he was a firefighter, aka the people who actually help you in an emergency.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Everblight posted:

He said he was a firefighter, aka the people who actually help you in an emergency.

Yes, my point was that guy would have had 30 bullets in him if he hadn't attacked a firefighter.

I also think Vahakyla has a pretty good stance on that guy, I agree prison is probably not going to help him in any way.

vvvv Well cool beans, One Of The Good Ones

Zeitgueist fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 3, 2015

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
We had a cop with us. Cop was an old guy and helped to restrain him, and calmed the ill guy down with soft speech when other firefighters were attending to him since also had self-inflicted knife wounds in his body. The stabber who was laying next to me was writhing in pain groaned and I asked him if it hurt really bad and told me "you tell me". He also said he's sorry so I told him "we cool". The scene was pretty comical to be honest.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 3, 2015

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'm interested in why you feel this way. Do you feel like being intoxicated diminishes his responsibility for his actions? Should society at large (via the State) not seek punishment if the victim is uninterested in cooperating with police? Is there something to be said for removing the notably shooty members of our society, if just temporarily, to someplace where they can't get drunk and pop off a few rounds in a convenience store?

The golden example of why the state should press forward even if the victim doesn't want to is domestic abuse.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cichlid the Loach posted:

By the way, I just love the new levels of passive voice achieved in "at which point an officer involved shooting occurred."

These threads have actually done a rare thing, and changed my opinion drastically. As much as I'm a fan of the right to keep and bear arms, I no longer think American police officers should be allowed to routinely go armed. They are clearly, as a profession, incapable of responsibly exercising the necessary self-control required to go about bearing a deadly weapon.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 3, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

These threads have actually done a rare thing, and changed my opinion drastically. As much as I'm a fan of the right to keep and bear arms, I no longer think American police officers should be allowed to routinely go armed. They are clearly, as a profession, incapable of responsibly exercising the necessary self-control required to go about bearing a deadly weapon.

I think the bigger issue is that they know there just won't be any repercussions no matter how many people they murder. Start punishing the ones that just outright murder people and suddenly you'll see a lot less of it happening. Though you're right, beat cops just walking the streets really don't need to be heavily armed. The police most certainly don't need to be buying literal goddamned tanks for regular use either. Sorry but your average, bog standard police department doesn't need an APC. That's for the special units that get called in in the rare event that poo poo actually does get that bad. Which for your average cop is, you know, not every day.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Cichlid the Loach posted:

I don't even know what to say about this. I'm afraid to even open my mouth because what's going to come out is going to be a bunch of dry-heaving and incoherent screaming. Maybe that's what they were counting on. That the scale of of the brutality inflicted and their staggering failure/complicity in it would just render people beyond the capacity for coherent criticism.

It's what a massive institutional and cultural failure looks like. It's understandable that the officers and social workers involved had a hard time believing the stories of the girls - after, it's hard for us to believe it. If you're in a culture that doubts victims of rape, and writes off young people in care as lost causes, insane sounding stories are going to get lost in the white noise of crazy poo poo you have to deal with every day. Targeted by muslim rape gangs? :rolleyes: I'll get right on that after I find that baby that was stolen by gypsies.

What makes it unforgivable is the failure to write up reports or collate data on a basic level, especially in the digital age when it's piss easy to do. If you have multiple, unconnected youths coming forward with stories that match up, there's a pattern that can't be ignored.

Connected to the current discussion, here's an old bbc article on why the British police don't go armed, along with a silly quote from an American officer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19641398 posted:

What does a British police officer do if someone comes out with a knife? Is he supposed to get out his knife and fight him?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Considering Britain has taken the common-sense step of banning the carry of any knife longer than 3" or a knife with a locking blade of any length without a court-approved "good reason", I'd say they have that covered too.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

lmao if american cops are bitch made enough that you can't handle a guy with a knife with nothing but a club and gumption.

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 3, 2015

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

FUN TIME

Forums Terrorist posted:

lmao if american cops are bitch made enough that you can't handle a guy with a knife with nothing but a club and gumption.

I like the implication that the cop should pull a gun if the other guy pulls a knife. The American police attitude to me seems to be to escalate force until either the suspect capitulates entirely or is completely incapacitated. Which is the opposite of what should be done; no-one in a rational frame of mind thinks that attacking a cop would do them any good, therefore the first step is to try to put them back into a rational frame of mind.

Back to the cavalcade of horrors that is Oxford.

:nms: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/mar/03/professionals-blamed-oxfordshire-girls-for-their-sexual-abuse-report-finds :nms:

I advise those of a nervous disposition not to read further.

Don't say I didn't warn you posted:

Police and social workers in Oxfordshire perceived that girls as young as 11 had consented to sex with men, an independent report into the failure to stop their exploitation has said.

Throughout their interactions with six young girls in Oxford, professionals struggled with the law on consent, failing to understand that such was the power of the grooming process the children had no power to say no to gang rape, sexual torture and violence.

The serious case review, commissioned by Maggie Blyth, independent chair of the Oxfordshire safeguarding children board, said there were grounds for believing that 373 girls had been sexually exploited across Oxfordshire in the past 15 years.

One police officer recorded that a 13-year-old having sex with an older Asian man was in an “age-appropriate relationship”. Another sergeant described how a 14-year-old girl had initiated sexual intercourse with two men. Social workers, the report said, appeared to tolerate the under-age sex the girls were having with much older men.

The report called on the government to examine whether its guidance on the age of consent fed attitudes that made it easier for perpetrators to abuse victims.

“The overall problem was not grasping the nature of the abuse – the grooming, the pull from home, the erosion of consent, the inability to escape and the sheer horror of what the girls were going through – but of seeing it as something done more voluntarily. Something that the girls did as opposed to something done to them,” the report said.
[...]
The report said key failings by police and social workers included:

A culture of denial;
Blaming the girls for their precocious and difficult behaviour;
Blaming the girls for putting themselves at risk of harm;
Tolerance of underage sexual activity by the girls with older men;
A failure to recognise the girls had been groomed and violently controlled.
Such was the nature of the sexual exploitation and abuse suffered by the girls, who all had backgrounds in care, that it was likened to torture. The abuse took place in Oxford, in a guest house or in parks and churchyards, and the girls were plied with drugs and subjected to gang rape and sexual atrocities for more than eight years between 2004 and 2012.

The report highlighted multiple missed opportunities by Thames Valley police and Oxfordshire social services to act rigorously.

These included a neighbourhood city council official who in February 2007 raised concerns with senior police officers and children’s social services manages about a 13-year-old girl. He reported “men going into the flat every night” and said he saw the child lying under a cover with an adult male. But he was reprimanded by city council officials after an intervention by the head of child social care in Oxfordshire county council – who was not named in the report. The then director of children’s services in the council – also not named in the report - was copied into the emails.

Not to worry, though. We can put it all behind us and there is no reason for heads to roll among dedicated public servants who did what they thought was best at the time.

quote:

Despite damning findings in the 114-page report, no one has been disciplined or sacked over the child protection failures.
[...]
The report failed to hold any senior managers or directors accountable, saying there was no evidence of “wilful professional misconduct” and senior managers were not made aware of what was going on. Instead she blamed lack of knowledge and understanding and organisational failings.

Middle managers in social services, however, gave evidence that they were afraid to escalate concerns amid an “oppressive culture” within the council at the time.

None whatsoever

Next week's nightmare schedule posted:

:nms:
"I went to the police, blood all over me, soaked through my trousers to the crotch. They dismissed it as me being naughty"
-Sex abuse victim

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Forums Terrorist posted:

American cops can't even handle people sitting down without escalating to pepper spray.

"A club and gumption" is the response for "made eye contact during a traffic stop". A knife is generally 2 guys unloading a magazine.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This dude had a hissy fit about being equal with the common man.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-31709454

quote:

"A Finnish man has been handed a whopping 54,000-euro [60,357$] fine for speeding, it's reported.

Finland's speeding fines are linked to income, with penalties calculated on daily earnings, meaning high earners get hit with bigger penalties for breaking the law. So, when businessman Reima Kuisla was caught doing 103km/h (64mph) in an area where the speed limit is 80km/h (50mph), authorities turned to his 2013 tax return, the Iltalehti newspaper reports. He earned 6.5m euros (£4.72m) that year, so was told to hand over 54,000 euros. The scale of the fine hasn't gone down well with Mr Kuisla. "Ten years ago I wouldn't have believed that I would seriously consider moving abroad," he says on his Facebook page. "Finland is impossible to live in for certain kinds of people who have high incomes and wealth.""

Best part, on the Finnish news site, was the top comment. Loosely translated:

A great philosopher posted:

"Suck that social democracy you whiny fatty"

Every fine assigned for an individual is assigned in values of "days". They are called "day fines" and roughly meant "days spent in jail" 100 years ago and now they may "days of lost salary".

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 3, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

What are the laws surrounding the amount of time you can be held in jail?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Nonsense posted:

Do you mean in terms of how long a jail term you can receive as a sentence, or how long you can be held in jail without bond pending trial?

The former is effectively limited only by the length of your life, although jails are holding facilities for short sentences and for people awaiting trial, with sentences longer than a year typically being served in state prisons. For the latter, it depends how quickly the defendant is willing to go to trial. Defendants being held without bond can demand a speedy trial, the federal right to a speedy trial is functionally meaningless and vague but every state usually sets comparatively strict specific limits. For example, in Florida it's 90 days from arrest for a misdemeanor, 175 days for a felony. However, it's very common for defendants to waive their speedy trial rights to get more time to prepare. It's common for accused murderers to sit in jail for years (at their own attorney's request) as their defense is prepared.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Nonsense posted:

I was arrested Last sunday, and it all depends on the nature of the charges you have against you when you are brought in, you'll usually have first appearance at 9am the next morning, the judge decides your bond and whether or not to ROR you. Some cases get an ROR (Released on Recognizance), others have a bond amount. If I hadn't been ROR'd I would've been in jail until my court date because my Bond was 25,000.00.

Edit: It depends entirely on the nature of the charge, and how many offenses you've committed prior to being arrested.

Modulo16 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 4, 2015

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

If anything, the percentage of arrests and offenders seems low. Where i'm from, black people bat at least double their population percentage in crime representation.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

on the left posted:

If anything, the percentage of arrests and offenders seems low. Where i'm from, black people bat at least double their population percentage in crime representation.

Well they might but they're already running against the 100% cap.

It's hard out here for a racist PD.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

on the left posted:

Then good news for you! Because when 33% of your population is non-black, having only 7% of arrests being non-black means that the police force is targeting blacks 300% harder, and not just double.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Devor posted:

Then good news for you! Because when 33% of your population is non-black, having only 7% of arrests being non-black means that the police force is targeting blacks 300% harder, and not just double.

The black population is almost certainly a lot poorer than the white population, and committing crimes at a much higher rate. Also, when it comes to traffic violations, police target poorly maintained cars, because they are easy targets for tickets and outstanding warrants. These poorly maintained cars are going to be disproportionately owned by the poor black residents.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I would be damned willing to put money on the numbers being very close to comparable if they eliminated the confounding variable of wealth disparity by only looking at low income arrests and comparing race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Nonsense posted:

You mean before trial? In New York it's something like 6 months, but delays and adjournments can "stop the clock," so you end up with cases like Kalief Browder, who was wrongfully arrested at age 16 for stealing a backpack, and subsequently spent three years at Rikers Island without trial (huge chunks of it in solitary confinement). Finally the charges were dropped when the alleged victim left the country and was unable to be contacted. Kalief had just turned 20. He believes the prosecution deliberately kept setting up delays in order to push him into a plea bargain. (I'm inclined to believe it.)

• Locked thread