Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Taeke posted:

I'm doing a course on language and power/politics and I have to write a short paper (1500ish words) in which I apply some of the theories I learned (Critical Discourse Analysis and stuff.) I already used the whole Lee Atwater/Southern Strategy thing for a Language and Society course I did last year, otherwise I would do that, but I was thinking of doing a short and simple analysis (it's an elective, after all) on the event a while back with the NY metro worker being assaulted by an off-duty cop which is interesting in light of the change of language used in reports of that event before and after it became clear it was a police officer.

I remember it being talked about how some news agencies changed their stories, first talking about a senseless assault of a government worker by a thug, editing it to an essentially unfortunate incident (for which the transit employee was implicitly to blame.)

I'm really not asking you guys to do my homework for me but I'm (1) not from the US so I'm not all that familiar with US newspapers and (2) not as engaged as I know a lot of you are, so if anyone could link me some articles on this I would really appreciate it. Preferably it would be a (mirror of the) original report and the edited version without too much analysis, because I want to do the analysis myself, but really even a nudge in the right direction would be a big help.

Like I said, I'm not entirely familiar with all the journals and I'm sure some of you have exactly what I need bookmarked or at least know which papers I'm talking about, so it would save me a lot of googling/scouring through archives (if I could even access them) if you could help me out. I really only just need one or two examples of newspapers changing their story after it became apparent it was a cop that did the assault.

Thanks in advance.

Critique your own Language and Society paper. It'd be the perfect pure application of critical analysis. Also, the perfect crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Lemming posted:

The bag is the black man's, sorry about your racism.

I'm the dark haired woman reaching for the bag and I can tell you that's actually an intro for a Brazzer's clip we shot later.

• Locked thread