Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Cichlid the Loach posted:

Do not read if you have blood pressure issues. I'm serious.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/a-seven-year-search-for-justice/2015/03/12/b1cccb30-abe9-11e4-abe8-e1ef60ca26de_story.html
11-year-old girl reports being gang-raped twice in succession; gets positive rape kit (twice); cops convict her for filing a false report because her interview answers were "inconsistent" and she was "promiscuous." Case closed.

Ugh, that's so disgusting. I'm reminded of the case in Texas a few years ago where an 11 year old girl was gang raped on camera by 20 guys and everyone in town was angry at her for ruining the lives of so many nice young men. But at least in that case, they were charged and convicted. No girl is too young to be called a slut, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

So today a white supremacist went on a shooting spree in Arizona, but the police were actually able to arrest him by tasering instead of shooting. Obviously it's not the same exact cops involved, so you can't make a direct comparison of the situations, but it still makes a pretty sharp contrast with the guy who was shot for having a screwdriver and not dropping it fast enough, or the one last week who was shot for being naked in public. Clearly it is possible to use non-violent means to subdue even extremely violent people if the police are actually willing to try.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Taxi drivers have a MUCH higher risk of being murdered at work than cops do (source [pdf]), but taxi drivers in many places are not allowed to carry guns on the job, if not by local law then by the companies they work for. If cab drivers started regularly shooting unarmed black people because they found their existence threatening, I'm pretty sure they would actually be prosecuted.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

:stare: I'm preserving a few of the more, eh, unhinged CNN comments before they're gone.

You should check out the Michael T. Slager Support Fund.

quote:

My contribution was provided because I believe that everyone deserves legal counsel when appearing before a court of law despite my opinions toward the accused. Walter’s family deserves it just as much as Slager.

Of course everyone deserves a lawyer when they are charged with a serious crime. But wouldn't it be a better use of your money to donate it to people who actually can't afford a lawyer instead of someone who until recently had a well-paying job?

quote:

its unfortunate for both as they are both victims. i know its going to be tooo hard for the dead and even harder for slager.

Yes, let's not forget the real victim here: the murderer.

quote:

He made some horrible decisions. No ifs, ands or buts about it. But he was trying to keep the streets safe. I believe that was his goal. He shouldn’t be with cold-blooded killers and psychopaths. I don’t know this officer, but I’m guessing he’s feeling really bad about this time.

Well, as long as he feels bad about it.

And then you have the people who are donating just so they can comment on the other comments.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Here's a story out of VA.

A mentally ill woman was in a jail cell with her hands handcuffed behind her back, leg shackles, and a protective face mask, and was tasered to death because she refused to bend her knees to be put in a wheeled restraint chair.

Such a completely unnecessary death. Police are investigating, no charges filed yet, etc.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Shouldn't this be taken down based on their new rule where you can't start one for people currently under investigation?

Edit: Holy crap asking for $600k.

It's down already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Branis posted:

Why is a school calling the police on a 5 year old?

Happens more often than you'd think.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/17/justice/georgia-student-handcuffed/

quote:

According to their report, when the officer arrived, he observed kindergartner Salecia Johnson on the floor of the principal's office screaming and crying.

"The child was then placed in handcuffs for her safety and the officer proceeded to bring her down to the police station," said Chief Dray Swicord.

edit: This one's from today

quote:

Florida police arrived to a school in Manatee County after they were called to investigate two 7-year-olds who kissed “on the lips."

Fortunately, no arrests in this case... yet.

Florida Betty fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 5, 2015

• Locked thread