Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Do your police have a corrupting level of power, influence, and mythic hero status?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Upon re-watching the Fredericksburg video I noticed that one of the officers is wearing a Power Balance bracelet. Just in case anyone needed more evidence that they were idiots.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

I imagine they're peculiar to each department, though it's entirely possible for one to make a really good version and others nearby to simply crib it and put their own name at the top. I'll see if I can find one of ours.

I don't understand what all the complaining's about. If you're even going to pretend to be accountable, you need to document what you're doing, especially when what you're doing involves violating someone's right to liberty and security of their person. If it takes you countless hours to fill out UOF reports then you are either illiterate, inarticulate, dishonest or unacceptably forgetful.

I suppose it could be a violation of the officer's 5th amendment rights to compel them to make inculpatory admissions about exactly how far away they were from that unarmed black man's back before their weapons went off 62 times; I don't know enough about how US constitutional law works to have any answers for how one might legislate that problem away. Up here we just compel the statements anyway and put them in the same basket as inculpatory verbal testimony and all those other things that are inadmissible against you in court :canada:

Unless you have specific legal advice from a lawyer who is physically sitting across the table from you and tells you to skip out on a subpoena with those exact words, never ever ever skip out on a goddamned subpoena. That's as good as a "Get Into Jail Free" card on your next trip to court.

He said earlier that going into court when certain judges were presiding was a get into jail free card unless you had cash in hand in full.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

I remember that story. That was really sad. Hell of a way for it to end.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

If someone is filming a police officer, and the cop says "surrender your phone I need it for evidence", is that a cue to just run away as fast as possible? Does trying to perform an unlawful order give you any right to refuse?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also, watch the documentaries and Frontline episodes highlighted in that episode because they're eye opening and soul loving crushing.

This. I think the one they cited a lot was Gideon's Army, wherein a completely innocent kid was forced to take a plea deal because the DA hosed around and got someone to falsely accuse the guy, and then he had to sit there and listen to a judge rail into him for how terrible he was before getting a maximum sentence when they were hoping for probation. That poor kid was a lot stronger than me because I would have lost it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Next time, on how not to behave when you are a public spokesman...

• Locked thread