Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah somebody dropped a saline bag out of a lifeflight carrying a motorcyclist. its all over the place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

my bitchin tes-la has ludicrous speed
i fol-lowed tra-ffic, into a tree
i got a power chair, ridin' up high
a lukewarm piss bag taped to my thigh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im in the tesla
im at the overpass
im at the combination tesla and overpass

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jonny 290 posted:

im in the tesla
im at the overpass
im at the combination tesla and overpass

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Dislike button posted:

"Honey you're going so fast, it's scaring me please slow down!"

"Trust me babe, I'm a computer programmer. Top 50 bs cs." *puffs ecig and accelerate*

"Trust me babe, I'm a computer programmer. We only care about errors, not warnings."

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

~Coxy posted:

"Trust me babe, I'm a computer programmer. We only care about errors, not warnings."

:thurman:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

------------8<-------------

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Sagebrush posted:

huh, that's odd. i thought colorado only used sand on their roads, but i'm detecting a massive volume of salt coming from that direction

its concentrated beet processing byproduct with the same consistency and color of diarrhea

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

you guys see the 15 million that volkswagen is going to pay to the usa govt plus they have to fix all the cars currently on the road. there are still lawsuits pending in various states.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

15 billion :pseudo:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i can't believe they just made cars with emissions cheater software for 15 years or whatever, it's nuts

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

C.H.O.M.E posted:

i can't believe they just made cars with emissions cheater software for 15 years or whatever, it's nuts

Good thing they make everyone get emissions checked every other year and caught the millions of cheater cars a decade ago huh

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

maniacdevnull posted:

Good thing they make everyone get emissions checked every other year and caught the millions of cheater cars a decade ago huh

wish we could filter your emissions in this thread

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

maniacdevnull posted:

with the fact that it was an awful and unethical thing to do, their cheater firmware is neat: https://media.ccc.de/v/32c3-7331-the_exhaust_emissions_scandal_dieselgate

edit: before you start the video, there's a sun-shaped button to switch it to english

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i should get a 'busa

i already have the flip flops, backwards cap and tank top w/jean shorts

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Willing to bet the money they saved/earned over that fifteen years exceeds the $15b they have to pay

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

emissions checks are just shoving a thing in the obd-ii port and returning "YES EVERYTHING IS NORMAL."

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Endless Mike posted:

emissions checks are just shoving a thing in the obd-ii port and returning "YES EVERYTHING IS NORMAL."

Yeah it's dumb as heck

Apr 7, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

In PA they hook your exhaust up to a machine and run the vehicle in neutral. In some other places they run it on a two-wheel dyno, which is why Opel's emissions-defeating system ran in reduced-emissions mode when only one axle was spinning.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

eh, depends on the car and the jurisdiction. some places still measure the actual emissions at the tailpipe. california does the tailpipe the first time you bring a car into the state and/or the first time it's tested, then the OBD checkout every time after that.

california also requires your engine bay to look 100% stock, which is super lame. my measured emissions were fine, but when i first went in i had repaired a small crack in the PCV breather filter line with silicone self-fusing tape, which is like, a MILSPEC quality repair. but noooooooooooooooo you have to have the stock stupid rubber fitting where it plugs into the air filter with no cracks and no repairs. and nooooooooooo you can't buy that part on its own, you can only buy it from ford in this $85 assembly that includes a bunch of junk you don't need :argh:

i gotta find one of those shadier shops where you can just slip the guy a 50 to overlook your exhaust pipe butterflies

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Citizen Tayne posted:

In PA they hook your exhaust up to a machine and run the vehicle in neutral. In some other places they run it on a two-wheel dyno, which is why Opel's emissions-defeating system ran in reduced-emissions mode when only one axle was spinning.

I'm glad they changed the processes in light of this new development to help do the thing they're supposed to do. It's cool and good that government agencies are responsive!

Apr 7, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

I'm glad they changed the processes in light of this new development to help do the thing they're supposed to do. It's cool and good that government agencies are responsive!

PA has measured the actual content of exhaust gasses for as long as I've held a license (since 1996).

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Citizen Tayne posted:

PA has measured the actual content of exhaust gasses for as long as I've held a license (since 1996).

Yeah and they didn't catch the cheaters and are doing nothing to catch them in the future

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

the ECUs were programmed to detect the test cycle conditions and adjust the engine parameters accordingly. the only way to avoid that sort of cheating is to make the test cycle secret (or random), which defeats the whole purpose

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wonder if it would be legal to sell a car that has an "eco" mode where it passes the emissions tests but only makes partial power, and a full-power "race" mode that's dirtier than allowed, if the car defaulted to eco every time you started it up and had to be manually set to sport mode with some kind of disclaimer shown on the dashboard ipad?

the manufacturer isn't responsible for someone who reflashes the ECU and starts failing e-tests, so maybe they also aren't responsible if someone puts it into RACE ONLY MODE (which is, through a terrible UX oversight, available from a button on the vehicle's main menu) *wink wink*

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

the manufacturer isn't responsible for someone who reflashes the ECU and starts failing e-tests, so maybe they also aren't responsible if someone puts it into RACE ONLY MODE (which is, through a terrible UX oversight, available from a button on the vehicle's main menu) *wink wink*

the most recent boss 302 had a "track key" that did just that

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
in waco they don't give a poo poo. 15 dollar inspection, in and out in 10 as long as nothing's falling off. hollow out your cat and run race gas, the lead you spew into the minivan behind you probably won't hurt their test scores

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol the only test in pa "inspections" is having enough social skills to meet a guy who you can slip $50 to to get your stickers, otherwise you get charged $300 for some bullshit even if you drove it off the lot brand new the day before.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

well yeah, motorcyclists can afford to run out of gas. its not a big hit to society. oh darn the fry cook's gonna be late

Jonny 290 posted:

100000000 parts you are now comprised of scattered across the road

RIP freckles, thought of a oil patch on the road and died

lmao

Apr 7, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

lol the only test in pa "inspections" is having enough social skills to meet a guy who you can slip $50 to to get your stickers, otherwise you get charged $300 for some bullshit even if you drove it off the lot brand new the day before.

I've literally never seen or had that happen to me in twenty years of driving. I've never once had any "bullshit" called other than tires that were clearly unsafe. Everyone is so cynical.

Panty Saluter posted:

in waco they don't give a poo poo. 15 dollar inspection, in and out in 10 as long as nothing's falling off. hollow out your cat and run race gas, the lead you spew into the minivan behind you probably won't hurt their test scores

Texas is a filthy disgusting place.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i should get a 'busa

i already have the flip flops, backwards cap and tank top w/jean shorts

make sure to stick a turbo on it when you do. don't want to look like a pussy

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

I've literally never seen or had that happen to me in twenty years of driving. I've never once had any "bullshit" called other than tires that were clearly unsafe. Everyone is so cynical.

lol literally everyone i know in pa (including everyone i talked to while living there) talked about how they had a friend/knew a guy/paid the guy off for inspections since they all knew it was a bullshit scam to get mechanics business that didn't actually keep lovely cars off the road

(va is the same fwiw)

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i was in my friends car in texas and he hadn't had it inspected in like 8 year or something nuts and a we got pulled over and he got a fixit ticket and went to one of those former gas stations that are now inspection places and just told the guy he owned a bar and would give him a big party tab if he just passed the car. he got the stickers and we pulled out.

Apr 7, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

lol literally everyone i know in pa (including everyone i talked to while living there) talked about how they had a friend/knew a guy/paid the guy off for inspections since they all knew it was a bullshit scam to get mechanics business that didn't actually keep lovely cars off the road

(va is the same fwiw)

In twenty years of driving and thirty-five years of living here, I have never once heard of or seen this happen. Of course, people like to make up stories, and what people say happens isn't necessarily what does happen.

In my entire life, I've paid for my inspection sticker + my emissions sticker (forget how much, less than $100) and been fine unless something on my car is really hosed up, like my tires once were.

Making sure your car isn't unsafe to be around isn't a "scam", contrary to what 48 year old broke dad might tell you.

Apr 7, 2003

I can't imagine what a massive loving bitch you need to be to be mad at paying less than a hundred bucks total for an emissions and inspections test once a year. If your car doesn't pass, don't drive an unsafe piece of poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i think you'll find that driving is a natural right, enshrined in the constitution, and furthermore

Apr 7, 2003

*car fails inspection because you're driving on a doughnut spare and three carbonized lumps of coal, and your springs rusted away long ago*

"The government is so loving corrupt!"

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i am sure there are ways to do it but the machine in texas SHOULD get all the info from an obd port and have the license number on it and all that. it SHOULD cross reference the license with the vin the obd port (the car) gives it vs the vin in the database, i tried to get an inspection the other day and they couldn't do it because their internet had been backhoed.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i am sure a shady shop can find a way to get around it but the system is designed to enforce the emissions test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hawaii's inspection is a pain in the rear end but i knew a guy through some biker buddies that i could just drop a $20 on top of the inspection charge and he'd give me my stickers.

• Locked thread