Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Citizen Tayne posted:

I can't imagine what a massive loving bitch you need to be to be mad at paying less than a hundred bucks total for an emissions and inspections test once a year. If your car doesn't pass, don't drive an unsafe piece of poo poo.

I'm more annoyed that the test to catch cars with bad emissions didn't catch millions of vehicles with design features that knowingly pushed the emissions past any legal quality threshold (mlmp)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

I'm more annoyed that the test to catch cars with bad emissions didn't catch millions of vehicles with design features that knowingly pushed the emissions past any legal quality threshold (mlmp)

you mean cars specifically engineered to pass those exact tests?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in colorado they got the sniffer vans with super sick cameras looking across the road; if you drive on enough onramps where they are set up, like 3 times in a year or whatever, you get a little thing in the mail that says "congratulations you don't have to go get emissions tested next round". it's really cool

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

no vehicle inspections here. just pay your fees and put the new stickers over the old ones on your plates. no silly windshield stickers either :banjo:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Yeah, I worked in Alabama where they have no inspections, and the rickety trash I saw on the freeways there was horrifying.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

Yeah, I worked in Alabama where they have no inspections, and the rickety trash I saw on the freeways there was horrifying.

around here people with poo poo cars who can't turn off the check engine light will disconnect the battery before going to the emissions test because if the obd ii returns "not ready" they just do the tailpipe test. except they often can't even do that since, unsurprisingly, most of those cars have such lovely tires and suspensions that they can't keep them on the rollers long enough to run the test.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

LastInLine posted:

you mean cars specifically engineered to pass those exact tests?

Yes.

Look, the anti doping agency is always developing new tests and techniques to catch cheaters, the idea that vw outsmarted the test for decades is a crime but it's also lovely that neither the feds nor any of the state level agencies figured it out.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

its tracks pretty well with our lovely neoliberal future where corporate regs are self-enforcement until the offenses get too obvious to ignore. the guy who broke the vw thing got wise because every time he took his car in for regular maintenance the DEF usage was a tiny tiny fraction of what it should have been for miles driven

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wait i thought the whole thing was that the smaller engines didn't use DEF and no one else could figure out how vw managed that

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

there were two things going on. in places with lovely emissions regs that didn't require def at all they put the engine in a sort of limpmode during a testing cycle that reduced emissions to their rated numbers but not under normal driving conditions. if places that do require def, the def system basically only turned on during the testing cycle and outside of that it injected the absolute minimum amount of def possible. over-injecting is also bad but it stank of lazy loving engineering

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's a righteous punishment and a powerful lesson for all car manufacturers who would dare to usurp the queen of liquid fuels, gasoline.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The_Franz posted:

around here people with poo poo cars who can't turn off the check engine light will disconnect the battery before going to the emissions test because if the obd ii returns "not ready" they just do the tailpipe test. except they often can't even do that since, unsurprisingly, most of those cars have such lovely tires and suspensions that they can't keep them on the rollers long enough to run the test.

can you explain this more? how do they drive the car into the testing facility with the battery disconnected?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

can you explain this more? how do they drive the car into the testing facility with the battery disconnected?

on most cars the results of the emissions self-test are stored in volatile memory which is cleared if the battery is disconnected. the tests are then run at different times during different driving conditions and normally it takes a couple of drive cycles for everything to run. if you clear the memory and go straight to the test center the car will fail because most of the tests will still be incomplete. in many cases though it will still pass the tailpipe test, especially if the cause of the check engine light is something like a malfunctioning post-cat o2 sensor which doesn't actually control any emissions hardware.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

Yes.

Look, the anti doping agency is always developing new tests and techniques to catch cheaters, the idea that vw outsmarted the test for decades is a crime but it's also lovely that neither the feds nor any of the state level agencies figured it out.

i was going to say something about how you wouldnt expect a multinational company to actively attempt to subvert the tests and that the tests themselves are only to detect cars that have fallen out of spec over time but

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

its tracks pretty well with our lovely neoliberal future where corporate regs are self-enforcement until the offenses get too obvious to ignore. the guy who broke the vw thing got wise because every time he took his car in for regular maintenance the DEF usage was a tiny tiny fraction of what it should have been for miles driven

this is actually accurate

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

LastInLine posted:

i was going to say something about how you wouldnt expect a multinational company to actively attempt to subvert the tests

Lol without ceasing, ever

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

"the corporations have our best interests at heart" lol

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/turning-off-red-light-cameras-costs-lives-new-research-shows

it turns out letting people drive like they are dale earnhardt on the last lap of the 1999 daytona 500 is actually dangerous, and traffic laws should be obeyed. #wow #whoa

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dislike button posted:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/turning-off-red-light-cameras-costs-lives-new-research-shows

it turns out letting people drive like they are dale earnhardt on the last lap of the 1999 daytona 500 is actually dangerous, and traffic laws should be obeyed. #wow #whoa

*extremely nerd voice* actually its safer to move with the flow of traffic, red lights cause speed differential so you should just run them

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

why the motorsickle hate itt

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a ten year old car and the exhaust is leaking! why isn't my exhaust made out of carbon nanotubes. car talk.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

I have a ten year old car and the exhaust is leaking! why isn't my exhaust made out of carbon nanotubes. car talk.

Exhausts are a wear item in the north and midwest

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Infinotize posted:

i post about motorcycles a lot and it makes jonny prickly.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I am beginning to suspect that my pickup has had something wrong for years with the fuel pump, or some other part involved in getting the fuel from the tank to the engine. I inherited it from my dad when he got a new car and he claims that the problem is the gas gauge is inaccurate, but I've tested this and found that the pickup starts acting really weird when it still has about four gallons left in the tank. I know this number because it has a 20 gallon tank and on the couple of times I've rolled it into the gas station hacking and coughing, I couldn't put in any more than 16 gallons. It has also, twice, exhibited symptoms consistent with a fuel pump problem in really hot weather. I am writing this because I think this the first time I've had a good hypothesis about a semi-mysterious car problem, and I'm quite chuffed.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sounds like water in the tank. Fuel pump problems probably should be happening regardless of level.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

might be the pump. most fuel pumps are liquid-cooled through immersion in the fuel, and if the level is low the pump might be overheating. that could cause problems if it's already on its last legs.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Sounds like water in the tank. Fuel pump problems probably should be happening regardless of level.

I do live in Minnesota, and I don't have problems in the winter. We also have mandated E10 fuel, I'm not sure if that means it's less likely to be water.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

fill it, dump some heet red in there, run though the tank and see if it gets any better. and probably keep a small gas can in there in case it keeps having problems at the 4 gallon mark

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 29, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I do live in Minnesota, and I don't have problems in the winter. We also have mandated E10 fuel, I'm not sure if that means it's less likely to be water.

more likely than pure gas, actually

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Infinotize posted:

They're vehicles for people without families, and yospos is aging out of that a bit. NBD

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

ugh I'm still hip

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

ow! my hip!

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

ugh I'm still hip

bet you kids think yer ol dad is pretty cool now huh

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

do trikes generally have a differential on the back or is it single wheel drive like old tractors or is the real axle locked on the assumption the old operator will never turn that hard?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they have a diff and even with that they are super hard to turn. theyd literally never leave a straight line if they were solid axle

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

there are people with families who bike that's nonsense. sorry for those whose wife/hubby cut their balls off :rip:

hmm perhaps thats too inciteful but certainly the risk tradeoff for different ppl will be different

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 29, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ugh I'm still hip

NO

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

ugh I'm still hip

HERE COMES A SPECIAL BOY!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

this is you in 11 years after you have your big wreck and your knee renders you unable to Ride but you still want to "ride". I hope you know that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

i just liek that the ad copy includes the target demo (doughy old white dude who apparently doesnt own clothes that fit)

• Locked thread