Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Antifreeze Head posted:

It really depends on the type of job/industry you are in. I work in radio, where the preferred time to fire someone is immediately after they finish their shift. For rather obvious reasons they don't want you going back on air once you know you're getting the ax. Sales is pretty similar, they don't want client lists going anywhere. You get a cheque for your severance and away you go.

When I was afraid I was going to get fired I used to regularly download my outlook contacts into a spreadsheet and email it to my personal address in case I was suddenly axed and lost my access. Man, that was fun, living like that for three years, let me tell you.

I wasn't in sales, but I worked with a lot of outside firms within my industry, and in my naive fantasy world, if I ever got fired maybe one of them could help me get a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Spook posted:

I disagree; we don't know why the employee was late to work each day, so you can't call it incompetence. Perhaps she has a child that needs to go to school in the morning and the bus is regularly late to pick the child up. But the organization cannot let the employee have flexible time because then it would have to address the issue with all employees in that business area.

No one else has a life that they need to manage. Only her.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

The (Metaphorical) Explosion: Imagine the most stressful project of your life. The days when you start off in the morning getting yelled at, eat lunch and dinner at your desk, and at some point stumble out of work and close the bar down knowing you have to do it all again tomorrow. Then do that for nine months straight. Some people crack. The project manager for this fun little project lasted about six months. Then one day he snapped. By now the project was a real shitstorm. Senior VPs for my company and the customer were in town, and there were meetings to try to salvage the project. Well, in the meeting with the VPs, the project manager lost his poo poo. It was ugly. He was sent home the next day. Luckily he wasn't fired, but just reassigned. After that they tried to rotate personnel out of the pressure cooker, but people still quit over this deal. Anyone who didn't burn out ended up getting nice promotions in the end.

I wore tons of different hats at my last job, managed vendors, products, platforms, handled reporting, data validation, systems development, on and on. No job sucked half as hard as project management. I still have nightmares about project spreadsheets. I work for a firm with notoriously insolent workers too, so you can just imagine what a joy it was.

Not even in a pressure cooker kind of way. More of a no resources, no cooperation, no support (even from your own manager) spin your wheels endlessly kind of thing.

If I can help it, I will never do project management ever again.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Why does life always seem like a giant sex party that I'm not invited to?

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

Then, at a leadership retreat over drinks one evening, the toxic manager was mouthing off in their general big ego manner to someone who turned out to be the president of another division. Oops. The manager had to be taken outside and told not to come in tomorrow and that they were fired. Unfortunately HR was not consulted before the summary dismissal, got involved, and oh boy, the manager could not be fired after all. Instead this person was given a raise and promotion into a position that did not have direct reports or management responsibility. Yet still worked with the same team they managed a few days before. Can you say, "AWKWARD"? I wish I could say more.
Don't fire someone in a position of power in an emotional moment without calling HR. When it backfires, it does, it does so spectacularly.

Also, I don't understand this at all, my industry must work very differently, because where I work, if an employee is not within your reporting structure, you simply have no authority whatsoever to fire them. And everyone drat well knows the management structure between themselves and the CEO.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Sure. But he said "hotel party" which makes me think it's after hours, with whatever alcohol and other substances being paid for by individuals. In that situation, how is a company going to tell me who or what I can't do?

Edit: or coming at it from the other direction, if the company is so concerned with people doing things which could cause harm or disrupt the workplace, why provide/allow alcohol at all?

Sounds like an industry/company conference at the hotel, so it's kind of a gray area, but yeah, it did sound a little weird grabbing people and telling them who they can't go home with.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Zo posted:

Usually those no dating rules are just there so that IF a big drama bomb explodes and gets dragged into the office, the company can just fire everyone involved. They are not enforced against reasonable adults for obvious reasons.

This happened at my last job. Guy and girl hook up, girl's boyfriend overseas is spying on her facebook and finds out, calls and harasses the company, who decided to just drop them immediately.

Lots of other people date, breakup etc with no repercussion.

WHAT no dating rules? FFS, can someone point me to a 'no dating' rule? Like, how would that even work, what if you went on a date, but didn't kiss her, then it's just a couple of co-workers having a drink after work, no? I've had corporate jobs since I graduated college like 10 years ago, but I've never heard of any 'no dating' rule, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Those rules have to do with conflict in the reporting chain and extend to non-romantic relationships, at least as far as I understand them. i.e. you can't report to your girlfriend, or your sister, or one of your parents. That's not the same as a "no dating" rule. And I have heard of people getting moved around when a relationship develops, but again, that's not a "no dating" rule.

• Locked thread