Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dazzleberries
Jul 4, 2003
At my last job I had to let go maybe 6 people over the course of the years, pretty much all performance related. My old boss used to say that it should not be a surprise to them, but no matter how much you've worked with them, and even if you tell them that they will lose their job if things don't improve, it'll be a surprise to them every drat time. Everyone reacts differently, some just are matter of fact about it like Ok and that's great, but I've had people cry and beg.

The easiest way is just direct, saying that your skills don't align with what the company needs (even if the person has no skills), and we're going to have to let you go. And then just shutup, it's not worth debating the merits of what they do or what not because things aren't going to change. Just shutup and let them work it out in their head.

We revoked all network/building access during the firing process, but we did allow them to collect their things, with a manager watching them within reason.

Another thing to consider is how you're going to deal with letting multiple people go. Having been in situations where people were being called in to be let go one by one, it's terrifying and can hurt morale for everyone even in situations where everyone knows those people are dead weight. When we had to let go groups of people, we did it all at once (each person released separately) with a close following or simultaneous meeting with everyone else explaining it and assuring them that they were all fine. People still worry but it helped a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread