Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
2012 335d m-sport fully loaded.

drove it for a year before my life got slightly more complicated and I had to get rid of it. Just amazing, nothing else like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Hands down my 87 Wrangler. It's a heap but it has withstood far more torture than a car should and I'm still driving it. There's really nothing that compares to top and doors off in the summer too.

Short of that? My 2002 Mazda Protégé 5spd. It was zippy enough, good on fuel and had plenty of room in the back seat and the truck. I'd still be driving it if the unibody didn't rust in half.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
^ :wtf: are those WRX wheels?!

dissss posted:

I had one for six months or so but it never really clicked with me - sure it was great to drive with the top down, but the whether round here meant that was a rare occurrence. Also not being able to take passengers (or indeed any luggage) got old fast.

It taught me that I'm more of a hot-hatch guy - for me it is the one category of car that can do it all.

Where are you located?

I'm lucky -- I rarely have passengers and the most I need to haul is typically food or my gym bag. I can get around on a motorcycle most of the time :)

Blaise fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 23, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Honestly, my old E36. It handled better than my current E39, was cheaper to maintain, and looked fantastic in alpine white. It had such an excellent combination of reliability, power, handling and fuel economy and I miss it all the time. A woman turned in front of me and it got totaled with a mere 225,160 on the odometer. Bad accident (I hit her at nearly full speed on the highway) and I was completely uninjured, so it was safe too.

I had that thing for five years and put 100,000 miles on it. I loved that car.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 24, 2015

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

Douche Bag Extraordinaire
Best: 2005 Evo VIII GSR

Totally stock/clean/low miles. Bought it for a steal on CL, didn't own it that long because I flipped it for a decent profit after driving it for 6 months.

Most enjoyed owning:
1. 1995 Miata 5spd

Came with suspension work, torsen diff, and a grenade in the engine bay. I bought a used 1.8l, had a little head work done, swapped it in, and drove the poo poo out of it. Managed to fit 4 people in it once and used it to move all my poo poo to and from school. Taught me a ton about working on cars.

2. 2002 WRX 5spd

Bought it with like 100k on the clock, owner and put a new shortblock from outfront motorsport but it was stock besides a STi uppipe. I put on a turboback/opensource tune/EBC/etc... Ended up blowing up the transmission after I put in one step colder plugs and took it on a test drive. Found a used transmission from a chop shop and spent a really cold weekend swapping in in. Taught me to hate working on cars.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Blaise posted:

Where are you located?

I'm lucky -- I rarely have passengers and the most I need to haul is typically food or my gym bag. I can get around on a motorcycle most of the time :)

Wellington, New Zealand. It's not that cold here but it also seldom gets very hot and even when it isn't raining everything is generally grey and unpleasant and windy

It's a pity because for the nice days nothing beats an MX5 - definitely the car I ended up doing the most detours in

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I've been going over this in my head since the thread was started. I've enjoyed every car I've ever owned and my current car just barely lost out in the end, but the best will always be the first love.

1990 Honda Civic Si.

Bought that car from my grandfather with 47 thousand miles in 99. I put well over 140k in the following years until I sold it (2006-ish). It and some friends got me into cars, modifying them and just driving the poo poo out of them. It carried EVERYTHING, and did so without ever truly stranding me aside from when I was an idiot (dead battery, etc). It is my unicorn car, and I will have another dammit.

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008
It's really hard to say, everything tended to be a superlative in at least one category. Looking back, I miss at least one thing about pretty much every car I've had, and it's hard to pick apart whether it was something about the car that I miss, or how the car fit into my life at whatever point I had it. Sometimes the nostalgia isn't about the car at all, but about who you were as a person.

89 civic hatch I bought for $300. It was a massive pile of crap in every sense of the word, but it was a special kind of awesome to have something truly disposable. I cared not one bit about this thing, and it rewarded me with getting no less than 40mpg all the time and never breaking down. Made terrible noises, with the cacophony of a bad throw out bearing, the d15 wheezing out 70hp through a stupid exhaust, and the clunks and rattles of having no interior. Throwing a dollar's worth of walmart spray paint on it every time I got a door ding was hilarious every time I did it. Bought it while I was doing engine work on the Corrado so I could have a backup car to run to the parts store with, ended up keeping it for a year and a half because it was so drat reliable.
The best at being the worst

90 VW Corrado with a VR6 swap. The fastest, loudest thing I've had. I've never owned something that has garnered so much attention. Owned it for about 4 years before it got hit, the damage being probably reparable, but I decided it was time for it to go. I was at a strange time in my life and was somewhat depressed, and the combination of positive attention and having a constructive project to work on (ALL THE TIME THIS THING WAS HORRIBLY UNRELIABLE) really helped me out. This was also the car that cemented that I am a "car guy". Before this I had tinkered around with whatever I owned at the time, but this was the first car I did real work on. There wasn't a bolt on this thing that I hadn't turned, and I loved that it was the first car that I felt was fully "mine".
This is the car that I'm always driving when I'm dreaming.

96 Audi A6 Quattro. Automatic transmission plus the crappy 2.8 V6 means I never had any fun with it. On paper, this was the best normal person car I've had. It was big, boring, comfortable, sedate, reliable, economical, and grown up. It took me a while to get used to it, as the Corrado was what I had just before this. Bought it for $2200, replaced tires and suspension for maybe a grand or so, sold it three years later for $3000. Absolutely nothing broke on this car outside of the CD changer getting jammed a time or two.
Going into my late twenties, this car made me feel like I was making progress and maturing. Was I more responsible because I was in an old man's car, or did I buy an old man's car because I knew I wanted to grow up?

90 Audi 90 Quattro 20V. Maybe I shouldn't have bought a car with 300K miles. Objectively, the worst car I've ever had. In the year and a half I owned it, I probably pissed away 6 grand or more on repairs. Radiator popping 1000 miles from home, coolant tank, water pump, fuel pump, shift bushings disentegrating while I'm driving it, rear suspension collapsing, 5 caliper rebuilds all on the back, heater core blowing up, probably other stuff I've blocked out of my memory, all within that year. It was constantly broken, wasn't very practical, but good god did it make an awesome noise. With the locking diff and studded snows, it was incredible to drive through the crappiest conditions in complete control.
I'm still fairly certain I bought this because I wanted to "recapture my youth" or something equally silly. Chasing the magic of your first fast car with something old and unreliable as your only car is a terrible idea. Someday, I'll own another 5cyl powered Audi.

And the car I have today, 2000 Audi A6. Quattro, 2.7TT, 6 speed. It's relatively quick in stock form, has the potential to be super quick if I decide to add power later on, big, supremely comfortable, has been super reliable so far, still looks grown up, has a bitching stereo, and actually gets alright gas mileage for how big it is. There is absolutely nothing bad I can say about this car. It's also nice to have something that's a bit sleeper-ish. It's pretty drat fast but doesn't shout about it.
I'm keeping this one for a while.

Other stuff not worth talking about :
96 Explorer. Boring
00 Focus ZX3. Kinda fun but not really great at anything in particular.
00 Grand Prix. Boring and terrible and already falling apart with less than 100K miles
60 Triumph TR3. I've put maybe 50 miles on it in the 10 years I've owned it. Maybe someday I'll put it together

geforce
Nov 19, 2014

You may be cooler than me IRL, but I have crippling anxietyTM
:parrot:
For the cash/comfort ratio, my 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL was really hard to beat. This car was a moving couch, with air conditionning, cruise control, electric seats&windows, automatic lights, etc!

It was the 3.3 liters, pretty smooth car. Near the end, I think the catalytic converter was giving up, and the exhaust sound was good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEVHoScLzcs

For the fun driving, the unique experience, the full frame tank-on-wheels, my 09 crown vic:

This car is unlike pretty much anything else I've tried.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

geforce posted:

For the cash/comfort ratio, my 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL was really hard to beat. This car was a moving couch, with air conditioning, cruise control, electric seats&windows, automatic lights, etc!

It was the 3.3 liters, pretty smooth car.

:hfive: A-bodies forever! I had a '92 Century with the 3.3 and a three speed. That has been the most reliable car I've had. in seven months of ownership I put nearly 19k miles on it and did not have a single issue with it. With a mild hybrid retrofit, aka stop-start technology*, it even got 25 mpg in the city.

Here it is looking its best with some 15s from a Silhouette. Click for big, if you so desire

As for the best, it has to be my first car, which was also an A-body. 1984 Pontiac 6000. Bought for $20 with a full tank of gas and a clear title in 2002. I drove it for a year without putting more than $100 into maintenance, and it just didn't die, even though it should have. Haggled a full set of brand new tires out of Discount Tire for $102. Suspension completely blown so it bounced off the bump stops when going over speed bumps, no muffler, X-code 2.8L 2-bbl V6 with 110 hp, 3 speed auto without lockup. I learned so much from it, like how a transmission without a service history should not have its fluid changed, or it could die (it did).

* When sitting at a light, I would stop the engine, then start it when the light turned green.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Probably my 2002 Miata:

Sure, it had no cargo room, and only sat two; it was slow as balls in a straight line and the short wheelbase made it hard to hoon around in; it had tons of body roll for a sports car, and the wheel gap made it look like a Jeep.. I've owned faster cars, and more expensive cars, and faster, more expensive cars. BUT, it made me feel the most connected to the car, to the road, to the driving experience. Every extra half-second I pulled out of that car was a triumph, and I could throw it around like a pro (or at least, it made me feel like I could).

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Best car hands down was my 1986 mazda 323 affectionately named 'lil red.

I bought the car for $600 at a very low point in my life. After replacing most of the front end I put about 30,000 miles on it traveling around the country working on getting my feet back under me. If not for this peppy little automobile that was willing to do anything I asked with no complaints I don't know where I would be.

This is the car that got stuck in the mud on my wife and I's first date. Apparently chicks like to watch you try to dig an old hatchback out of the devil's own rut.

I asked my wife to marry me while sitting in the rain in this car. I had planned on doing it at the beach and the weather did not comply.

This is the car that I brought my first child home from the hospital in.

This was the one car in my yard full of projects that I could always count on to go on parts runs and get me to work.

I sold it to my buddy's girlfriend a couple of years ago and she still daily drives it. I told her that the only stipulation was that she had to give me first dibs on it when she was ready to sell it.

Scrodes
Oct 18, 2003

LOL RACISM!
My current toy is the best. It drives exactly how you would want a car to drive and as long as you replace the ridiculous plastic coolant overflow tank which shatters and keep the vacuum lines in good shape, they're actually really reliable. Yes they burn oil - but they're designed to.

RX-7 Cruise

While on said cruise, I went to find a washroom, and annoyed my wife by coming back with a Muskoka chair instead.

Car I miss the most

God was it comfortable and with the Greddy exhaust it sounded great too....if loud on the highway.

My current DD, Focus ST. great car. Needlessly quick, decent on fuel, nice Recaro bum holders, reasonable price.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Am I the only person that still can't decide? I feel like I could list more than 5 cars that I've still got stockholm syndrome for. :)

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Mat_Drinks posted:

Am I the only person that still can't decide? I feel like I could list more than 5 cars that I've still got stockholm syndrome for. :)

I'm kind of the opposite, I've never been that satisfied with any of my cars. The Miata will probably come closest once I figure out how to adjust the pedals so as not to destroy the tendons in my foot anymore.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Blaise posted:

^ :wtf: are those WRX wheels?!

I had to take a moment and figure out that you were talking to me.

Nope- they're ford explorer rims. I got em pretty cheap from a we-pull yard too.

geforce
Nov 19, 2014

You may be cooler than me IRL, but I have crippling anxietyTM
:parrot:

Left Ventricle posted:

:hfive: A-bodies forever! I had a '92 Century with the 3.3 and a three speed. That has been the most reliable car I've had.

Yes. These cars were really reliable. I'd probably still have it if it wasn't that it does from rust. loving Canadian winters...

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I'm absolutely loving my G37 Anniversary Edition. Comfortable, fast, handles really well for a heavy car and it looks mean in black without being too noticeable

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 25, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'd have trouble figuring out which of my cars has been objectively the worst but nah, the best is pretty easy.
(that said, there's a lot of people posting more than one car so you're clearly not alone)

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I loved my beat to poo poo Mazda 3

Cost me $5000 with 90k on it when I started college, finally died at 170 when all the rust and abuse caused the transmission mounting brackets or whatever to give up. It got me from CT to CO and everywhere in between, and I really do miss it.

Now I think given enough time my Outback might surpass it. Idk what it is but even with the little 2.2 liter engine its just much more loveable than it has any right to be :)

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Is that Outback photo taken near Morrison, right at the base of the foothills?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
E92 M3 6MT, without a doubt the best driving car I have ever owned or will be capable of owning financially. Hearing this V8 roar as it approaches 8k rpm is just amazing every time.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Tremek posted:

Is that Outback photo taken near Morrison, right at the base of the foothills?

It's in Golden on 6 right before 58

JamesMxP
May 6, 2007
Up until a month ago my best was my 2003 civic ex coupe with a manual transmission. Got it with around 43,000 miles and traded it at over 150,000 only because it started consuming a quart of oil every day or two. Spent the entire time driving the crap out of the poor thing.

Just picked up a 2011 Corvette Grand Sport, so that's now number 1.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

I still miss her

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I hate to say it because all I wanted to do was hate on this car so hard when we bought it, but the 2012 Scion XB has been a loving fantastic car. Put 35k miles on it in the past two years and it hasn't skipped a beat. We wanted a hatchback/wagon in manual but the Mazda 3 and everything else in that segment was way too expensive. 28mpg on average, and goddamn cavernous inside, great for taking our dog places and camping and mountain biking and poo poo. Only complaint is it could use a bit more ground clearance, but that's what the jeep is for.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
My 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis is my favorite car so far. It's comfortable and hasn't needed much but basic maintenance. It's kind of a dog for a V8, the paint has some kind of defect and is chipping off a little on the c-pillars and the roof and the gas millage sucks. But it's easy as poo poo to work on and gets me around. It has a lot more character than a Camry or Accord. If I had to replace it I honestly don't know what I'd get.

The car I miss the most was the 95 mustang I had when I was 19. I saved up to buy it, learned how to drive stick and I had a blast driving it. Sadly stupid younger me pulled a bonehead move in traffic and it was totaled.

My first car, a 93 corolla gets an honorable mention for the sheer amount of abuse it took. My uncle bought it off a rental company in 94 and beat the poo poo out of the poor thing until 2000 when he gave it to me. My dad and I fixed a lot of the broken poo poo (busted interior door handles and a window that wouldn't roll up) then we gave it a tune up and installed a sweet CD player. It reeked of stale cigarettes and faintly of weed, When I got my mustang I sold it to my parents for $500 and both of my younger sisters learned to drive on it. My youngest sister killed it around 07 when she rear ended someone and totaled it. 160k on the engine and I don't know if it had ever had a transmission flush.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

2009 CRD Grand Cherokee. That Mercedes diesel hauls rear end and I've never had any mechanical issues. That jeep was a dream to drive.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

NyxBiker posted:

I still miss her

Yessss

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
My 87 XJ Wagoneer.

(Sadly, I couldn't find any photos of mine, but it was this exact model and exact paintjob, I just had better tires.)

I got it with 147,000 miles on it for about 3,000 bucks.

I sold it for $500 at 300,000 miles.

It took me all over the state, on all sorts of crazy off-road trails, and never once failed me. I sold it because the heater core needed to be replaced, and I wanted something a bit bigger for hauling stuff when I went off-roading and camping. Replaced it with a 99 Cherokee for my daily driver, then promptly replaced that with a 2002 WJ Grand Cherokee for my daily. Loving the WJ a ton, but god drat that 87 XJ was like a faithful dog, never let me down.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's gotta be my 2000 Peugeot 406 TS4:

1400kg of the finest French steel, made for long distances, long service intervals and longevity. Mine has the 156hp 2.2L 4-cylinder, which has gobs of midrange torque for an engine of that size, and it shares most of its parts with the base 1.8L and 2.0L engines, making it super cheap to maintain.

The suspension is on the firmer side of French comfort, but that's still much more on the comfort side of things than the comparable Germans, so it rides superbly on the highway. It's not Citroën-smooth, but it soaks up even really nasty bumps very well. It also handles so much better than a FWD family car has any right to.

This car has single-handedly converted me to a lifetime fan of of large French cars.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

It's gotta be my 2000 Peugeot 406 TS4:

1400kg of the finest French steel, made for long distances, long service intervals and longevity. Mine has the 156hp 2.2L 4-cylinder, which has gobs of midrange torque for an engine of that size, and it shares most of its parts with the base 1.8L and 2.0L engines, making it super cheap to maintain.

The suspension is on the firmer side of French comfort, but that's still much more on the comfort side of things than the comparable Germans, so it rides superbly on the highway. It's not Citroën-smooth, but it soaks up even really nasty bumps very well. It also handles so much better than a FWD family car has any right to.

This car has single-handedly converted me to a lifetime fan of of large French cars.

angryhampster fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 3, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

angryhampster posted:

*ENORMOUS GIF*

The 406 was the last great Peugeot, from before they decided to only build cheap "voitures tres terribles". Everything that has come since is poo poo.

(The current x08 models may be OK, but the jury's still out)

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

KozmoNaut posted:

The 406 was the last great Peugeot, from before they decided to only build cheap "voitures tres terribles". Everything that has come since is poo poo.

(The current x08 models may be OK, but the jury's still out)

I was about to argue with you until I checked and found the 306 died first.

Carry on! :v:

Canned Ham Radio
Feb 4, 2009

Long range, Mobile,
And Delicious!
Pillbug
My first and favorite vehicle was a 1979 Ford F100. 300ci straight 6, three on the tree. Converted it to 4 wheel drive and in a fit of teenage stupidity, welded the rear diff. Horrible gas mileage, was nothing but a pile of rust, and was just plain ugly. But I had bolted on every aftermarket doodad my Taco Bell paycheck could buy off of the shelf at Discount Auto Parts. Chrome things, under car neons, useless led lights everywhere.. Looking back, I am almost embarrassed. Almost..

But my new favorite is my daily driver. After my last vehicle blew a head gasket, I found this gem.

2001 CVPI
Picked it up for $1800 at a local car lot with 94,000 on the clock. Replaced the brakes and a new set of ebay COP's and she is the most reliable thing I have ever owned..

Still in to novelty bolt on stuff though..
(I live in Florida)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I was just thinking that I miss my '95 Maxima SE. Dark green (that was an early/mid '90s color), tan cloth interior, lots of options. A smooth shifting five speed gearbox and a smooth running VQ30DE. The interior was plenty large, and it weighed only 3,000 lbs. Great car. The stereo was an unreliable piece of poo poo BOSE unit that had also been wired for a carphone but other than that, very few problems.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
We met on the internet.

It was a short courtship but after the first time we met I convinced her to come back to Canada with me.

I loved her personality. She was soft in all the right places but a lot of strength too. She wasn't perfect, a couple gaps here and there really stood out if you looked closely.

But to me they didn't matter. She was the whole package and we were inseparable.

After a few years we started to drift apart. She was drinking a lot and couldn't really stop. I didn't mind so much but it was hard on the budget. We decided to part ways.

A couple years later I ran into her again. She was a little wider in the back, a little droopy in front. She had met someone with kids and was feeling a little neglected. He understood that she wanted to get out and play again so they parted ways and she came home with me.

They were living in the country so she had picked up smoking, but everywhere in the city was no-smoking so we got her on the patch and she stopped cold turkey. Amazing how much better she smelled in short order. It was strange for the first little while, she seemed so familiar but yet different at the same time.

After a while our relationship again started down that same road of stagnation but this time we talked about it. She had some ideas to spice things up.

She got leaner. More taut. After her bolt-ons things were never better, more exciting. And boy-howdy she was loud when we really started romping! It was a turning point. We would spend more time together than ever.

She even enjoyed coming to work with me, and dressing up for the holidays.

But then tragedy struck. Something in her nervous system went. It was like one wire fried after the next. I tried to save her but it was too late.

She was gone.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Holdbrooks posted:

I don't get cut off, turn signal seem to exist again, and people don ride in the left lane when you are behind them.

I should have bought one of these, I really should have... loving Toronto drivers.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Seeing a lot of p71s in here, I'm in the market but for some reason they got really scarce around here lately.

• Locked thread