Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've had a lot of fun, rare or special cars but my best car would be my 2000 VW Golf TDI. It's slow, boring and not that great looking but it's perfect. It gets 50mpg commuting, it pulls a trailer for motorcycles (@40mpg), the hatch lets me use it like a pickup truck and it is cheap as poo poo to run. I paid $3k for it in 2009 and the only things it's needed are the usual consumables (tires, brake pads, fluids), it's never left me stranded and I never have to worry about jumping in it and taking a road trip. If it gets a door ding oh well, if it's dirty I don't care and I'll let nearly anyone borrow it. It's been a great car and every time I think about replacing it I realize I'm going to drive the fucker until it falls apart around me. 255k miles and running strong.

On the other hand the car that taught me the most was my first E30, a 1988 325is. Drove a thousand miles to go look at it (in the 2000 TDI, Dad's at the time) and decided to buy it. Drove back with no issues. The following weekend I changed the timing belt and replaced the GDCS, by far the most in depth repair/maintenance I'd ever done. The next weekend I gutted it as it was destined to be a track toy. That summer I replaced every bushing, upgraded the suspension, replaced a transmission and did 100 other little projects. Before buying that car I was timid about tackling certain projects on cars, within the first year I had nearly rebuilt the entire car. Armed with nothing but a basic tool kit, a haynes/bentley manual and blind stupid ambition that car taught me so much. It was also my first RWD track car (coming from a 1996 GTI) and my driving and instructing skills grew so much thanks to that car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread