Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I miss my Bogan Bus :australia:
2007 Holden Commodore SV6 6MT

These are the photos I took when I put it up for sale, as I was leaving Australia

The ride was firm yet compliant, rocked 18" wheels (with expensive rubber) and had a traction/stability control you could totally disable. Proper Bogan territory.
The SV6 boasted an engine with 195kw (261hp) at the crank, and though it was the fattest Commodore ever, its handling really defied its heft - this was helped by wheels that were further forward and an engine further back than older Holdens.

...And (like any Commodore should) it had a propensity to break rear traction the second there was a hair of moisture on the street. This behaviour is despite being one of the first Commodores to feature ESP; it really did let you get away with a lot before intervening - I am not sure if this makes it good or bad ESP. I remember one particular roundabout in St. Leonards that was cambered so poorly that I would need to crawl through if it was raining or fear slamming the tail into a traffic island.

The gear shift was just a touch on the rubbery side, but was otherwise very satisfying and encouraged you to row up and down. The interior was quiet and very comfortable, and an awesome place to eat up miles.

And it had a tow bar, which I used to move house 5 times in 4 years due to Sydney's hosed rental market.

Now, I drive this guy in 'MURICA :911:

This is a 2015 Forester XT, which is simultaneously smaller (footprint) and larger (volume) than the Commodore, as well as being both faster (to 60mph) and slower (everywhere else). It's basically what I got because I wanted to buy a new WRX wagon - but Subaru killed it. I love the huge open fishtanky cabin and redonkulous moonroof (the A-pillars must be like 1/3rd as thick as the Commodore's are) and I love the fact that it's fast - but doesn't look like it is. It's got a happy little turbocharged whistle whenever you hit boost (which you do, often), and the CVT isn't the penalty box you might expect (especially in Sport or Sport # modes). It effortlessly conquers the frozen Wisconsin hellscape, and is just as happy with a trunkload full of skis or pavers or dead bushes or bikes or whateverthefuck. And it's fun as gently caress to disable* the traction & stability control and slide around snowy parking lots. I really like my Forester XT.

But I loved my Commodore. I miss my Commodore.

*you can't really disable it, it just gives you a longer leash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Das Volk posted:

You went from Australia to Wisconsin? I'd take the spiders over Hoth, personally.

Yeah. Long story. I don't miss the spiders though. Here's a photo I took of a Huntsman in my kitchen:

Bonus Pics:
Bad times with the Commodore (this happened at about 75mph):

Good times with Fozzy on a car ferry:

I like comparing it to the size of the Suburban on the left

• Locked thread