Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Everyone always talks about their dream cars or what their next car will be, but let's be realistic..poo poo doesn't always go the way you planned. Up to this point, what car that you've owned is the best? ..and why?

You can take "best" any way you like. Most expensive, fastest, most luxurious, best reliability, whatever.

For me, it's our 2008 Focus coupe. It looks geeky and boring, it's slow, and the stereo really isn't very good. However, I bought it in 2010 for $7000. A 2-year-old car for $7k. I couldn't believe it. It had 89k miles on it though, so I figured maybe there's expensive maintenance coming up. None whatsoever. I've owned it for 4.5 years and 35ish thousand miles, and the only maintenance we've done is a battery and oil changes. Best MPG on a single tank..39. Call me boring, but drat this is a good transportation appliance.

It's comfortable, unbelievably cheap to maintain and operate, and at 2600lbs it's reasonably entertaining to drive on its pizza-cutter tires and 140hp wheezer.

Goons..what is your "best" car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

mr.belowaverage posted:

Definitely my 1994 Celica. It has 407,000km on it now, and everything works. Power windows, locks, sunroof, a/c. I have done minor maintenance almost exclusively. It got a wheel bearing a few years ago.
It is fun, and hauls cargo, too. I don't have pictures of this, but it carried my old motorcycle 500km in the hatch, and it carried a full size stainless steel electric range across town.

Is this photo current? Because holy poo poo that car looks new.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

It's gotta be my 2000 Peugeot 406 TS4:

1400kg of the finest French steel, made for long distances, long service intervals and longevity. Mine has the 156hp 2.2L 4-cylinder, which has gobs of midrange torque for an engine of that size, and it shares most of its parts with the base 1.8L and 2.0L engines, making it super cheap to maintain.

The suspension is on the firmer side of French comfort, but that's still much more on the comfort side of things than the comparable Germans, so it rides superbly on the highway. It's not Citroën-smooth, but it soaks up even really nasty bumps very well. It also handles so much better than a FWD family car has any right to.

This car has single-handedly converted me to a lifetime fan of of large French cars.

angryhampster fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 3, 2015

• Locked thread