Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PantsBandit posted:

But here's the question: Is it more important that he can go super saiyan or that he can regrow limbs like a boss?

A wig of Goku's super saiyan hair is a head item

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

PantsBandit posted:

But here's the question: Is it more important that he can go super saiyan or that he can regrow limbs like a boss?

I think CoCks can only go up to SS2 so you don't get that much of an advantage to being a Sayian that you wouldn't get in other races.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Crabtree posted:

There's gonna be like a hundred thousand Ghost Nappas and Weedlord Gokus by day one and I will grade all of them harshly. :colbert: I can't wait for the Goon World Tournament where we can all pit our abominations against each other.
There will be 2v2 matches of everyone screaming about dairy squad.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Can I absorb other Namekians that I beat up online?

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Pre-ordered this game for PS4. The streams of the Japanese version have looked pretty fun.

Evil Canadian posted:

Yeah I am pretty hyped for this silly rear end game. Finally you can have Special beam cannon and Kamehameha on the same dude called Gokulo or perhaps Pikkolu.

Clearly the answer is Mr. GoSataniccoloku

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Will there be a random CaC Orion for vs. mode? That's the best part of Soul Caliber.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Will there be a random CaC Orion for vs. mode? That's the best part of Soul Caliber.

both random CaCs and the CaCs of people on your friends list spawn in the hub and can be fought so there's that at least

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I updated the OP with a few FAQs. I'll try and answer any other questions that I can.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I've been sharing the gospel of Xenoverse with all the friends I played Budokai 3. I've been describing the play style as "Kingdom Hearts with the fast forward button stuck on" and that seems to do the trick of selling people on it every time.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Evil Canadian posted:

Yeah I am pretty hyped for this silly rear end game. Finally you can have Special beam cannon and Kamehameha on the same dude called Gokulo or perhaps Pikkolu.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

-Fish- posted:

I've been sharing the gospel of Xenoverse with all the friends I played Budokai 3. I've been describing the play style as "Kingdom Hearts with the fast forward button stuck on" and that seems to do the trick of selling people on it every time.

Dragonball + keyblades = a license to print money????

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Static Rook posted:

Pre-ordered this game for PS4. The streams of the Japanese version have looked pretty fun.

Clearly the answer is Mr. GoSataniccoloku

Super Satan 3

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

:eyepop:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
torn between Majin and Freeza Clan

yo Firstborn you know stuff how cool are their normal attack string this will probably be my deciding factor

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Blockhouse posted:

torn between Majin and Freeza Clan

yo Firstborn you know stuff how cool are their normal attack string this will probably be my deciding factor

Male Majin have really good attack strings. They stretch, and their hands and feet (and thus those attack's hitboxes) get bigger like Battletoads. Freeza Clan's strings remind me of Muay Thai - lots of knees and elbows. Also some headbutts and tail whips for good measure. I think either is a solid choice, honestly. Freeza's race has some really, really cool customizations, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFLr8LWnlJw (starts about 1:25)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IceCZ4LgyKA

Keep in mind you can break up these items between hands/feet/pants/chest, so you can make some pretty unique looking Freeza-Dudes.

Familiarity-wise, I think Majin is little less popular, which means that people will probably have more trouble reacting to your stuff.

E: Here are their throws. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGlGHr_G930

Here's another cool thing I learned recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7atfhxXKr-U If your mentor is the originator of the Ultimate attack you are using, they sometimes show up in a ghostly Father-Son Kamehameha way and increase the damage of said attack.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 19, 2015

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I am excited about this game, and will try my very hardest to make an Earthling that dresses up like a Roy Rogers style cowboy and destroys everyone with Death Balls, like the old cowboys did.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Firstborn posted:

Male Majin have really good attack strings. They stretch, and their hands and feet (and thus those attack's hitboxes) get bigger like Battletoads. Freeza Clan's strings remind me of Muay Thai - lots of knees and elbows. Also some headbutts and tail whips for good measure. I think either is a solid choice, honestly. Freeza's race has some really, really cool customizations, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFLr8LWnlJw (starts about 1:25)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IceCZ4LgyKA

Keep in mind you can break up these items between hands/feet/pants/chest, so you can make some pretty unique looking Freeza-Dudes.

Familiarity-wise, I think Majin is little less popular, which means that people will probably have more trouble reacting to your stuff.

E: Here are their throws. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGlGHr_G930

Here's another cool thing I learned recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7atfhxXKr-U If your mentor is the originator of the Ultimate attack you are using, they sometimes show up in a ghostly Father-Son Kamehameha way and increase the damage of said attack.

Firstborn for those of us rolling non-Saiyan is Kaioken any good

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Kaioken is pretty gnarly. First, SSJ takes up one of your Ultimate slots. Kaioken is just a Super slot. So if you run SSJ, you only have 1 offensive Ultimate to work with, which could be very predictable.

Kaioken is available in x1, x3, and x20. It works very similar to SSJ, but is more generalized. It increases all your stats some, and also "Speed", which is a stat you can't raise by leveling, only with some equipment and Z Souls (and changing your Height - smaller dudes are faster). Kaioken drains Stamina instead of Ki while in effect. While you are under the effects of x20 Kaioken, you effectively have infinite Stamina (minus the drain to keep it active), so you can go hog-wild with vanishes, Escape Moves, and block something that otherwise wreck your face. If you are good at parrying you can refill Stamina to keep it going.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Do you actually transform in battle like Budokai 1 or is SSJ Goku a separate character?

The old style worked great with capsules

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Is there any downside to Kaio-ken at all, other than it consuming a slot? Some penalty at the end, anything that makes it not basically mandatory?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Harlock posted:

Do you actually transform in battle like Budokai 1 or is SSJ Goku a separate character?

The old style worked great with capsules

Some transformations are different characters. Since one SSJ form is an Ultimate, only 1 is equipped at once. No Budokai style SSJ 1 -> 2 -> 3. When you go to select a character, their different costumes are different eras... so like Goku's 1st costume/moveset is from Saiyan Saga, but his last one has SSJ3 on it. You can turn SSJ in battle.

projecthalaxy posted:

Is there any downside to Kaio-ken at all, other than it consuming a slot? Some penalty at the end, anything that makes it not basically mandatory?

It's easier to refill your Ki with the various Power-Up Supers than it is to refill Stamina. You do not want to be caught without Stamina. You can't block until it refills completely if you are guard broken. Speaking of which, power-up is not a basic action. It's a technique and there are 3 different ones. One quickly gives you 1 bar, one won't stop until you are full, and there is one in the middle.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 19, 2015

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

projecthalaxy posted:

Well my understanding of it is while you effectively have infinite stamina while its on, once you run out you are basically SOL and a sitting duck because the use of it completely drains your stamina bar.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Firstborn posted:

Some transformations are different characters. Since one SSJ form is an Ultimate, only 1 is equipped at once. No Budokai style SSJ 1 -> 2 -> 3. When you go to select a character, their different costumes are different eras... so like Goku's 1st costume/moveset is from Saiyan Saga, but his last one has SSJ3 on it. You can turn SSJ in battle.
I really don't know why they did away with the progression. To me, it made sense and you actually had to work to transform. I guess as a selling point of 80+ characters when 8 of them are just Goku forms.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Harlock posted:

I really don't know why they did away with the progression. To me, it made sense and you actually had to work to transform. I guess as a selling point of 80+ characters when 8 of them are just Goku forms.

When I quoted the 46 characters, that's 46 different dudes. There's like 73 if you count it the way you are counting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRqLTEWnLco
A lot of them look the same but have very different move sets Evil-buffed Mr. Satan can fly without his jetpack, and shoots actual ki beams and stuff, including their own Z Souls (passive conditional buffs or effects)

There's some nice little easter eggs, too. Patrolman Jaco from another of Toriyama's comics, Bardock has a costume with SSJ on it like from his second special, you can select the Evil versions of characters with different movesets, etc. Even between the supposed "clone" characters, it's not really so. SSJ God Goku is a separate character icon, and has different attack strings than regular Goku. SSJ4 Vegeta has a different icon than regular Vegeta, but has different attack strings and stuff.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 19, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctgvXIdLz04

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Just pre ordered. I don't really care about the extra outfits, but SSJ4 Vegeta is cool. So loving hyped to play this.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

On the contrary I could take or leave SSj4 Vegeta but think the crystal armor is the raddest thing on the block. Especially if I can put a cloak over it.

One week, folks. Just one week. I hope this runs crisply and smoothly on my computer, I have above the recommended specs but I want like PS4 graphics.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Should I get this on PS4 or PC.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
PS4 will probably have a bigger community, and Steam will have mods and be PC master race. I'm honestly getting it on PC just because... DBZ game on Steam.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

I am getting it on PS4 only because I am going to probably sperg out on poo poo like ranked vs play and PC is much more prone to stuff like cheating.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Evil Canadian posted:

I am getting it on PS4 only because I am going to probably sperg out on poo poo like ranked vs play and PC is much more prone to stuff like cheating.

it's crossplay so you're gonna have cheaters either way

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I never have to worry about cheaters in fighting games because the average even remotely good player can beat me 10/10 without cheating :shepface:

But yeah I'm excited to see what mods appear.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Blockhouse posted:

it's crossplay so you're gonna have cheaters either way

Really? That is the first I have heard of this.

*ed*

cursory search says no cross play.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Evil Canadian posted:

Really? That is the first I have heard of this.

*ed*

cursory search says no cross play.

I could have sworn there was. Then again maybe I'm just full of poo poo!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Is there local multiplayer?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Broseph Brostar posted:

Is there local multiplayer?

Yes.

E: Added more wisdom to the Tryhard Dojo.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
Sonic fanfiction mode confirmed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2W4IBrArQE&t=99s

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

holy poo poo that hosed up krillin model just earned a permanent spot in my nightmares

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ngBE7h3AF8
Maximum swag combo video. You can use a Evasive Move to escape these, but it's fun to watch.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
The fact that the PC version appears to be easily moddable fills me with glee. :allears:

• Locked thread