Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Looks like this is 10 bucks cheaper on Steam than PSN, so that makes it pretty easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
If anybody is on the fence or have any questions about something I haven't covered, I'll try to my best to answer it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Firstborn posted:

If anybody is on the fence or have any questions about something I haven't covered, I'll try to my best to answer it.

What moves does Gotenks teach, and what are some good physical Ultimates?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

There's a super move shop outside the Trainer system, right? So I can go buy my Death Beams and Shin Kikohos or are basically all the supers available on the outset?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I want to be a Ginyu Force :colbert:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Im gonna make a time traveling Namekian warrior named Frank. He has fused with three other namekians, also named Frank.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to make the true son of VegeTa & Bulma. He will have blue hair and I will call him Jorts.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Eonwe posted:

I'm going to make the true son of VegeTa & Bulma. He will have blue hair and I will call him Jorts.

But can he overcome the odds?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Bee posted:

But can he overcome the odds?

he can

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Firstborn posted:

Are the gender differences just stats?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Eonwe posted:

Jorts Briefs.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I wasn't paying attention when I accepted the friends request for people that wanted to join the steam group. Just send me a message on steam reminding me who you are.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Testekill posted:

I wasn't paying attention when I accepted the friends request for people that wanted to join the steam group. Just send me a message on steam reminding me who you are.

I'm PINK MONSTER.

Alteisen posted:

No. Some techniques are locked by gender in the same way they are locked by race. Nothing huge, it's not like there's a No Girls Allowed Kamehameha, but I think if I remember correctly one of 18's attacks is female only, for example. Female CACs also have different strings and throws and unique outfits. The stats don't matter much, because when you make a wish to respec, all your stats go back to 0. It is a decision to make, but it's pretty fair but equal. Ultimates have no gender restrictions.

projecthalaxy posted:

There's a super move shop outside the Trainer system, right? So I can go buy my Death Beams and Shin Kikohos or are basically all the supers available on the outset?

Yes, there is a shop. Not all supers are available from the outset... the more iconic ones attached to characters have to be learned via mentor. You can buy Kamehameha from the shop, but not Super Kamehameha. You have to train under Cell to learn Perfect Kamehameha. That sort of thing. There is also something of a crafting system, but very light, you basically find trash materials in some missions and stuff (they will show up right on the battlefield as a "!"), and then you can craft some different moves, or armors, or capsules. You will get a pretty okay set from just beating the game, but you will have to work for some through Parallel Quests (What-Ifs and side missions), or the Mentor feature (they each have their own quests they give you... they also comment on your progress periodically after you fight in any mode, and get jealous if you switch. Vegeta will be pissed if you abandon his training and go to Goku... he will still take you back if you come groveling, though).

Captain Oblivious posted:

What moves does Gotenks teach, and what are some good physical Ultimates?

I know for sure he has both a Super and Ultimate version of Ghost Kamikaze, and I think he can teach you the Rolling Dynamite Punch or whatever silly move that is. Also, Galatic Donut. The best physical Ultimates are probably Meteo Crash & Gravity Impact. Meteo Crash is just a rush of punches/kicks (you can see this in the combo video I posted, 18 finishes her opponent with it) that does damage as long as you have Ki. You can completely use your Ki bar to do a hugh jass combo if that's your intention, or stop it at any time. This is a good but potentially risky use, but a great finisher. Gravity Impact is a series of vanishes and auto combos that ends in a huge axe kick that smashes the opponent to the floor... it is good because the animation is so long, depending on what Evasive the opponent has picked, they may only have invincibility frames for like 50%~ of it. They have to be very accurate in how they respond to it.

Here is a video showing all Ultimates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ7kaaCHfnc
Gravity Impact is at 00:31
Unfortunately Ginyu Body Swap and Meteo Crash is left off, but you can see that one on the aforementioned combo video.

I'd honestly say it's easier to be melee. There are a lot of movement options in this game, so you really have to set up your beam attacks, because they are highly stoppable or have big animations that you will recognize and be able to respond to. If you step a Kamehameha, you can smash face.. meanwhile one of Trunks' sword attacks or Gohan's shoryuken is less easily responded to.

E: Spirit Sword is also a Strike Ultimate, if you like that one. Or Maximum Gohan. Blue Hurricane is also considered Strike, and does a shitload of damage.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 20, 2015

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Alteisen posted:

Each race and each gender in that race has entirely different basic attacks and throws. A Saiyan Male and Female attack differently than each other for example.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I just bought an Xbox one controller for Windows for this game. :getin:

Also: Jorts is a hilarious character. Damnit, I wish I had thought of it... I also saw a Goku Jr. on stream. Tarble would be another great idea, I think.

Oh, and for the DBZ turbonerds out there like myself, Time Patrol Trunks who recruits you is the Trunks that defeats Cell back in his own timeline.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 20, 2015

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
I wanna make a female super saiyan, but I also want to use the Nappa voice. Why can't I have the best of both worlds?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Hobo Siege posted:

I wanna make a female super saiyan, but I also want to use the Nappa voice. Why can't I have the best of both worlds?

I'm... I'm not sure if you can't do that. I was kind of banking on the ability to make a Freeza guy with a female voice. My buddy has it, I will try it tomorrow and get back.

Some of the CAC voices are some pretty cool voice talent. SF fans might recognize Male Voice #6 as Hugo from USF4. He also does a lot of anime and stuff. I'm pretty sure Male Voice #9 is Yuri Lowenthal, aka Sasuke from Naruto.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
You can make 8 custom characters, so why not make both?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hobo Siege posted:

Now I haven't seen DBZ in 15 years but I thought saiyan females couldn't be super saiyans.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Well, they can in the game. I don't think it's that they couldn't, there's just no examples in the manga. Also the Daizenshuu says you needed to be at least 1/4th Saiyan to have the ability to do so, otherwise the blood is too diluted. So that explains Pan.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Now I haven't seen DBZ in 15 years but I thought saiyan females couldn't be super saiyans.

That was never a rule. There were just no examples.

GT wussed out of having Pan going Super Saiyan because GT sucks, not because they weren't able to.

Firstborn posted:

Well, they can in the game. I don't think it's that they couldn't, there's just no examples in the manga. Also the Daizenshuu says you needed to be at least 1/4th Saiyan to have the ability to do so, otherwise the blood is too diluted. So that explains Pan.

Pan is 1/4 Saiyan.

And even if she wasn't, GT directly contradicts that by having Goku and Vegeta's great great whatevers go Super Saiyan in the epilogue scene, if I remember right.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Captain Oblivious posted:

That was never a rule. There were just no examples.

GT wussed out of having Pan going Super Saiyan because GT sucks, not because they weren't able to.

Pan is 1/4 Saiyan.

And even if she wasn't, GT directly contradicts that by having Goku and Vegeta's great great whatevers go Super Saiyan in the epilogue scene, if I remember right.

Both of those are right, yeah. The Daizenshuu contradicts itself a lot. I was being sarcastic by saying that explains Pan. :goku:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Firstborn posted:

Both of those are right, yeah. The Daizenshuu contradicts itself a lot. I was being sarcastic by saying that explains Pan. :goku:

gently caress GT is what I'm getting at here :argh:

By the by, who teaches Spirit Sword and Meteo Crash

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Excited for this but, drat, aside from a catchy theme song the intro is pretty lovely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNDx7we2lZs

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Xenoverse for EVO.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
At this point I've just accepted no other intro will ever come close to Budokai 3's.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Awesome Welles posted:

Excited for this but, drat, aside from a catchy theme song the intro is pretty lovely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNDx7we2lZs

Man, it's like they weren't even trying with that thing. It reminds me of the intros that get changed from the original for anime localizations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm really into this retarded concept for a game. DBZ game devs fully embracing bullshit 'uh yea my character was made when Future Trunks wanted a best friend to fight time demons with so he wished on the dragon balls for the coolest fighter ever to be bros with him but then the time demons got mad so they made Cell and Buu and everyone else into super strong extra evil versions because my character was too strong for the normal versions...'

I have 3 important questions though.

1) Can I make a midget Saiyan?

2) Does Frieza race include being able to make Captain Ginyu?

3) Is the mentor system that deep or is it basically a spec choice? Like, if wanna bro out with Hercule is it just a thing where every few levels he says 'here's my special dick punch' or is there like, training and poo poo that is different for them? I like that this game is 'deep' enough to make poo poo like a female Saiyan handle differently than a male Buu so I hope that weird level of detail is a common thread.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

3) Is the mentor system that deep or is it basically a spec choice? Like, if wanna bro out with Hercule is it just a thing where every few levels he says 'here's my special dick punch' or is there like, training and poo poo that is different for them? I like that this game is 'deep' enough to make poo poo like a female Saiyan handle differently than a male Buu so I hope that weird level of detail is a common thread.

1) Yes.

2) Ginyu is his own freak race I guess, although Ginyu's body swap is totally a move created characters can use.

3) They give you quests and teach you their moves, although once you learn all you need to learn you can just drop them and go on to the next guy. You do get a bonus for using XYZ's moves while they are still your mentor, but ideally you are kinda meant to whore your way up the chain learning everyone's poo poo ending with Beerus.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
1) Sold, gonna make the angriest munchkin.

2) God drat it when will a game let me be Captain Ginyu's Secret Brother?

3) Oh that's cool, I dig the ideas of mentors as progression.

Yea I'll probably get this then, fanfic simulator with a genuinely neat looking fighting system, perfect.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I have 3 important questions though.

1.) There are three different heights, and the shortest is probably just a liiiiittle bit taller than Krillin.
2.) You can use the races to make any DBZ alien you want. There's plenty of weird frilly head crests and Ginyu horns for Nameks, you can make Earthlings blue and call them Androids (their racial inherently regenerates Ki), or maybe whatever color Freeza you want. You could make a close proximity to a Captain Ginyu, and Ginyu armor is available to CACs. Considering you can make whatever skin color you want, you have a lot of options for making weird DBZ aliens.
3.) You select a mentor, which you do a few quests for and learn moves. You also gain a random advantage if you use an Ultimate that a Mentor taught you, and is your current Mentor. You get a ghostly Father-Son Kamehameha like effect. If, for example, you pick Hercule.. he will let you know his opinion on how you performed every few fights. He has his own special quests to learn Special Dick Punch, and there are different than if you were to train under Goku.

Here's a dude who uses a Namek, but he doesn't really look like one.. because he is red, and has Capt. Ginyu horns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTZGkI0ycJg I think if he was purple and had different eyes, he'd be fairly close to what you want.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 20, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Fuckin sold then. This is legitimately an informative thread, I heard next to nothing about this game aside from general 'haha it's fanfic made real' jokes and some basic 'yea a DBZ game where I make my own hero sounds cool' but this is the first source of actual information I've seen that wasn't just videos of a dude scrolling through armor selections.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Firstborn posted:

1.) There are three different heights, and the shortest is probably just a liiiiittle bit taller than Krillin.
Aw ye

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Bummed out they pushed back the NA release date.
It's going to be 3 weeks before I can play my copy.
At least I should be getting those pre-order goodies.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
This looks super rad, but I'm going to wait until all the DLC is out to pick it up. Not being able to make an android character seems like a conspicuous omission, though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Still say the official goon guild needs to be called Home For Infinite Losers

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

This looks super rad, but I'm going to wait until all the DLC is out to pick it up. Not being able to make an android character seems like a conspicuous omission, though.

They have apparently plans for DLC and it seems to take a lot from DBZ Heroes, so I wouldn't be surprised if Androids, Cells and whatever the gently caress the is missing shows up later.

Possibly in a sequel, if it does well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's pretty cool that you can make things that don't look like Namekians or Frieza with those races. Being able to make a weird Janemba thing or some Ginyu looking dude is way better than lame-o humans

• Locked thread