Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm so goddamned jazzed for this. For me Albarn can do no wrong musically, pretty much.

quote:

Albarn first hinted that there might be an eighth Blur album in 2013, admitting that when a series of shows in Hong Kong were cancelled, the band instead decided to spend their time in the city recording new material. “The opportunity came and we took it,” James told Bang Showbiz. “We were just jamming, but it was good.”

Albarn’s jam-packed schedule has often been held responsible for impeding the band’s musical progress: in 2012, William Orbit claimed that Albarn pulled the plug on a set of “amazing” recording sessions. “Damon, brilliant and talented tho he is, is kinda a poo poo to the rest of Blur,” he wrote.

Having formed at London’s Goldsmiths College in the late 80s, Blur’s debut album, Leisure, was released in 1991. Famous for pioneering the Britpop movement, the band went on to challenge their northern rivals, Oasis, in 1995 when the bands released singles at the same time: Blur’s Country House outsold the Oasis’s Roll With It by 274,000 to 216,000. “Blur won the battle, Oasis won the war, then Blur went on to win the whole campaign,” bassist James once said. What with suggestions that Oasis might one day re-form, perhaps the fight isn’t quite over just yet.

The Magic Whip will be released on 27 April. The full tracklist is as follows:

Lonesome Street
New World Towers
Go Out
Ice Cream Man
Thought I Was A Spaceman
I Broadcast
My Terracotta Heart
There Are Too Many Of Us
Ghost Ship
Pyongyang
Ong Ong
Mirrorball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Man, Albarn is a songwriting machine. Looking at the double live album just gives you an idea of how long he's been prolific for.

Incidentally I find it incredible that the UK media still bring up that "battle" with Oasis.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

http://youtu.be/UQQObIQ63T0

New song "There Are Too Many Of Us". It's quintessential Damon.

I think he might be a warlock. Great song.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I stopped taking Pitchfork seriously (although my respect for them was minimal to begin with) after the debacle with Future of the Left. The reviewer tried to sell the readers on the idea that the album was super slick and probably cost a lot (in reality, FOTL had to borrow most of their recording budget). Andrew Falkous wrote a response that was pretty loving terrific.

P.S. Album is terrific, shocking nobody

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 28, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mt. Modular posted:

I like The Magic Whip. It's not their best albumt, but its probably the best album I could've hoped for after so many years. It's a nice mix of the mid-90s Blur and the latter-years experimental Blur without sounding too much like either one. If anything, it's like a retrospective of their career using new music. I'm dreaming of another Blur album in the next few years where they can focus on getting even weirder again (like the progression from the s/t to 13 to Think Tank) now that they've gotten the comeback album out of their system.

Or a Gorillaz album. I'll take that too.

Honestly, Damon can just cough into a microphone a few times and press it in vinyl and I'd buy it.

Gorillaz album coming next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

I'd really love Blur to next do an album (or even just a 5-song EP) of brand new but 90s-retro-esque Brit-pop songs. Like the character songs Damon used to write.

I suspect there's zero chance of that. You'd be asking him to regress, creatively. Damon seems to want to always move forward. I believe he even said his initial motivation for reforming blur was to repair his relationship with Graham, and it worked out. I think they made the record because they didn't wanna play the same songs always. I doubt they need the money, especially Damon.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 4, 2015

• Locked thread