Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
flash and acrobat reader are bad though, guess you get what you pay for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

25 years of liquid poo poo in my face

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

acrobat pro did the super cool thing of actually getting worse between the last several major versions

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Dicky B posted:

25 years of liquid poo poo in my face

my regdate wasn't that long ago? ? ?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
photoshop is a powerful tool but there are so many lovely hang ups

like how if u want a don't size above 72 points u have to type it
or if u want to change spacing you have to type it
where are te sliders
if if u want to change font colour u need to select the text so u can't see the change until you deselect it

and there are
probably ways around these but they are not obvious and require some weird key combo and they should just update their UI

the guys who make blender should make a photoshop killer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
photoshop excels in different colour spaces and printing and that poo poo isn't easy of course but the painting/editing part needs an overhaul and people who make money using photoshop need to allow them to do it and change so that somethin better can come out other end

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hi I'm photoshop and use a hosed explorer dialogue so you can just click favorites you need to browse to c:wdnows/users/pleasutelevon/whatever it's hosed up

so often when I use PS I come across these stupid things programs sorted out years ago. it's still the best but not by far

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
and yet photoshop has some of the best text editing tools available in a raster image editing program

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

a lot of power in a type engine that still produces mostly garbage, visually

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

somehow you are better off making your words n stuff in illustrator then pasting and rasterizing. the result is way better

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

somehow you are better off making your words n stuff in illustrator then pasting and rasterizing. the result is way better

uh???

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

do vectors in vector programs and pixels in raster programs

also ape shall never harm ape

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lame

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

qirex posted:

acrobat pro did the super cool thing of actually getting worse between the last several major versions

u haveto write java 2do any logic in acrobat pro iirc FAIL

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Smythe posted:

i use GIMP, Inkscape, and KDENLIVE ......

i like making programmable extensions in inkscape with python

anyhow, adobo bad

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

the guys who make blender should make a photoshop killer

the guys who make the least intuitive app ever formed should outdo photoshop, you say?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
blender is like riding lightining. once you get over having your balls burnt it's amazing

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

OldAlias posted:

i like making programmable extensions in inkscape with python

anyhow, adobo bad

powerful Man.,... drat

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

pagancow posted:

Not when you get bug and feature enhancements all the time.

The older model sucked more

old Adobe way:

1) Ship product

2) bug fixes for 6 months tops

3) work on next version and never fix anything untill you drop another cool 2 grand on the next version

4) go to one

The new way:

1) pay 30-50 a month

2) perpetual updates, and features being added.

If all you do is try to create alpha channels on still images then yeah you're going to feel like you're getting robbed

yeah the old adobe model is also trash, but i just hate subscriptions. i bought cs5 once and now i never have to pay for it again
(also if you ever tried getting a student discount from adobe it's insanely more anal retentive and dumb than doing it from like, microsoft, where i just put in my student email and they went "yes" and i got w7)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ur4 subscription owns coz those guys "do it right"

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Today is Friday. your history lesson for the day is something awful before they got a bunch of sub forums use to do "Photoshop Fridays" where there would be a challenge and you had to show off your pixel editing tools to make funny images that would be shown on the front page.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

is the "i can tell by the pixels" meme from SA?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

this is all before Adobe was trying to protect their trademark from being so generic that they would loose it like what happened to Xerox.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
being in academia is kinda nice cause i can get the whole stupid suite for $20 a year

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

the license also says you wont do any commercial work with it

Ever accepted money for a thing you did with adobe on a student license? VIOLATION

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

illustrator is a very good program, though i would rather own a copy of it than subscribe to it for a year

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

pagancow posted:

Today is Friday. your history lesson for the day is something awful before they got a bunch of sub forums use to do "Photoshop Fridays" where there would be a challenge and you had to show off your pixel editing tools to make funny images that would be shown on the front page.

phridays

and then worth1000 came along, drained away anyone with actual romoc[H]op fun skills and ate a big bite of SA's user-generated lunch.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
gamechanger

ive never moved past cs3 so idk about any of the new stuff

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

it's me, I'm Seetharaman Narayanan.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Seetharaman Narayanancat

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 20, 2015

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

maniacdevnull posted:

someone post that embarrassing video the op made when he hired a girl voice over lady
don't worry, he'll post it himself sooner or later

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

i would legit use psp7 before gimp
i legit do :smug:

Djeser posted:

(also if you ever tried getting a student discount from adobe it's insanely more anal retentive and dumb than doing it from like, microsoft, where i just put in my student email and they went "yes" and i got w7)
smdh if u got a "student discount" on w7 instead of just getting it free off dreamspark

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
seriously glad that photoshop just runs in a single window these days

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
oh no a whole 10-40 minutes of billable time to pay off the software that you do almost all your work in every month (10-40 hours if your billable time is making logos on SA mart)

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5CyX5NEnzk&t=224s

yvcpos BITHC!!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Phoenixan posted:

seriously glad that photoshop just runs in a single window these days

oh no in which cs version did that change :(

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Having to use GIMP on the uni linux machines was the worst experience of my life. Everything is so unbelievable unintuitive, like someone had said, "hey, how can we make this not conform to anything in the world?" then went on to piss all over itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
what if you're looking to cater to the open source community

can't make open source logos or mockups on evil proprietary software

• Locked thread