Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Elder Postsman posted:

oh i'm talking just in general, u can do that with a lot of size changing slider things. brush size and whatever too. you know?
i think the point is that echopenis doesn't quite know how to use photoshop since he already wants to use it like a word processor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

does Adobe even make a word processor.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
indesign would probably be the closest thing to that i guess

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
having two lines of text isn't a freakish request

still, can't they make it better? like what excuse is there for keeping poo poo terrible

"change is hard" - people who should be smart enough to embrace change

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
is there a foss indesign equiv? i used indesign for college newspaper and it was mega ftw

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
u can use libreoffice to make a newspaper it is free (libre)

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
not like that loving SCUM openoffice that is not free (as in speech) (libre)

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Elder Postsman posted:

does Adobe even make a word processor.

framemaker

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

i just remmebered. what i wish illustrator had.

non dickfuck ways to transform items on the artboard. Ah, rotation time. HERE'S A BOX YOU CAN TYPE THE DISCRETE NUMBERS INTO. WE WERE NICE ENOUGH TO GIVE YOU A PREVIEW, STOP COMPLAINING

maybe there's akeystroke, or secret handle on the boudning box I didn't see?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

non dickfuck ways to transform items on the artboard. Ah, rotation time. HERE'S A BOX YOU CAN TYPE THE DISCRETE NUMBERS INTO. WE WERE NICE ENOUGH TO GIVE YOU A PREVIEW, STOP COMPLAINING

u can transofrm rly good on INKSCAPE :smug:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there are literally hundreds of thousands of different but analogous issues with photoshop but everyone here just defends them instead of calling them out on their bullahit

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Smythe posted:

is there a foss indesign equiv? i used indesign for college newspaper and it was mega ftw
scribus (it is bad)

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I think photoshop is v nice and I would like adobe to start selling it again.

:sigh:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Rahu posted:

I think photoshop is v nice and I would like adobe to start selling it again.

:sigh:

lol so you can steal it?

cc is amazing with new features being added when they are ready and bug fixes throughout the entire cycle why would you want to go back to the old model where software could have bugs for months before you get presented an option for a 2,000$ fix?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

next thing you're going to tell me is that you don't know where to find the sweet cracktro music either.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

or that you're in the business of doing the same thing for 10+ years and you don't upgrade A THING until it all falls apart.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol if you are in the industrial sign business for small businesses. might as well use gimp since it will be more needs suiting for being poor all the time.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

what's the Gunnar glasses equivalent of putting times new roman on a white yard sign?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

it's u

the times new roman on a white yard sign

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Smythe posted:

possibly if you were really good with LaTeX

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

you have to install java to run illustrator lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

creative cloud is loving trash. photoshop is "good" because as others have said, they own patents on things so theyre the only ones that do certain tools intuitively, but those tools are just sitting in stagnant rust water

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Last Chance posted:

creative cloud is loving trash

present evidence

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
creative cloud for teams is awesome for CJs.

no "but he has CS5 and I have CS6 and somehow there's something not compatible in my files" garbage. everyone's on the same version.

no janitoring license keys or any of that bullshit. just send invites to email accts. person's gone? yank the license back and reassign to the new guy. no big deal.

no "please put in an order for this software" bullshit. just click "add account" and tick up the monthly subscription. not my money, not my problem.

like yeah maybe if i was a pennypincher i'd be boohoo about CC. but as long as it's not my money i don't give a gently caress, poo poo's awesome, i am dealing w/ it.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

pagancow posted:

you cant gimp your way out of a contract job so lol paper bags and gunnar glasses and poo poo

pagancow posted:

what's the Gunnar glasses equivalent of putting times new roman on a white yard sign?

What Does This Mean

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pagancow posted:

present evidence
we had several lovely problems just like this person:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3702555

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

echinopsis posted:

having two lines of text isn't a freakish request

still, can't they make it better? like what excuse is there for keeping poo poo terrible

"change is hard" - people who should be smart enough to embrace change

no you're trying to do it wrong

if you'd set your pixel resolution correctly 72 points is usually plenty [1 inch letters], behold the least understood dialog in the history of software:

points and pixels are different units, a point is 1/72 of an inch and a pixel can be of any size

off the top of my head here's how to make text big:
  • dragging on the size thing in the bar [or the character palette]
  • using your scroll wheel with the value highlighted in the bar [or the character palette]
  • resizing the text using edit > transform > scale
  • same but edit > transform > free transform
  • click the "show transform controls" box in the bar at the top with the move tool selected
that's 7 different places to make text bigger than 72

there's plenty of janky poo poo in photoshop but to complain it's to hard to make text big is a reflection on you, not the software

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

if you go off the corner of the bounding box you'll get rotate but you know there's a whole set of dedicated tools in the toolbar for rotate [R], scale [S], reflect [O] and shear, right?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

hosed up. i just reset the workspace and now the handles are there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

but to complain it's to hard to make text big is a reflection on you, not the software

those are all good points but ive got an ego to uphold here so id appreciate you not showing me just how wrong i am?? tia

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i seem to recall you saying that years ago and i hadnt forgotten i just never changed it coz usually i just hit ctrl n, enter, ctrl v. i dont want to have to click into a box and change a thing. i like that photoshop automatically pulls the image size from clipboard

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

pagancow posted:

lol if you are in the industrial sign business for small businesses. might as well use gimp since it will be more needs suiting for being poor all the time.

the sign business: an icon of coreldraw 4 labelled "adoby" with the win95 "cup of brushes" icon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

off the top of my head here's how to make text big:
[*]dragging on the size thing in the bar [or the character palette]
[*]using your scroll wheel with the value highlighted in the bar [or the character palette]
i dont know how to make either oft hese two work. i just tried

quote:

[*]resizing the text using edit > transform > scale
[*]same but edit > transform > free transform
[*]click the "show transform controls" box in the bar at the top with the move tool selected

yes well these are cheating

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
any box in blender that has a number, i can click in it and drag and that value goes up and down. photoshop should have this

what about typing in that number when you are entering the threshold of the magic eraser

"only a moron uses the magic eraser" - the kind of defence people use against the lovely things in photoshop

what about the terrible hold over of blurs in the effects dialopgue.. blur.. blur more... jesus christ

and i havent found a way to change the bkending mode when bluring that would actually be handy

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Last Chance posted:

we had several lovely problems just like this person:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3702555

they tell you right away when you turn on lightroom cloud sync that it's only for small editing on your mobile devices, AND you still can only sync to one Light room catalog that must be stored on a PC.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

qirex posted:

a point is 1/72 of an inch and a pixel can be of any size

geez who are the font wizards that came up with this one

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

a pica is 12 points

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Elder Postsman posted:

geez who are the fart wizards that came up with this one

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pagancow posted:

they tell you right away when you turn on lightroom cloud sync that it's only for small editing on your mobile devices, AND you still can only sync to one Light room catalog that must be stored on a PC.

oh so you're telling me it's a piece of poo poo. got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

creative cloud is loving trash. photoshop is "good" because as others have said, they own patents on things so theyre the only ones that do certain tools intuitively, but those tools are just sitting in stagnant rust water

this is so true

what i dont get is why people defend it

being "the best" is different from being "as good as could reasonably be expected in 2015", and in photoshops case, a LOT different

• Locked thread