Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I dunno man I'm all for the 'pit when your tire is falling apart' strategy. It's not his fault the rules state you have to switch to a drys or inters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Listen to FP4 on BT sport - you'll become a Jack Miller fan.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I remember someone saying f1 sucks because one oval office lucks into the right tyre strategy and wins...

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
If one car for a second had a bit of tread come off in F1 there would be four hours wall to wall coverage of people bitching and moaning about the tires, whereas it seems to be a complete non issue in MotoGP. This sport is growing on me pretty fast.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

If one car for a second had a bit of tread come off in F1 there would be four hours wall to wall coverage of people bitching and moaning about the tires, whereas it seems to be a complete non issue in MotoGP. This sport is growing on me pretty fast.

I don't know that much about F1 but in this case the softer tyres were pretty clearly engineered to last about 2/3rd's race distance. Which is cool, and adds a level of strategy to wet races that wasn't there before. But it also kind of sucks that wet races will now be more about meteorology and less about skill than they were before.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

I don't know that much about F1 but in this case the softer tyres were pretty clearly engineered to last about 2/3rd's race distance. Which is cool, and adds a level of strategy to wet races that wasn't there before. But it also kind of sucks that wet races will now be more about meteorology and less about skill than they were before.

Wet tires are fine for a full race in the wet. That's just not what that race was which is why rossi and crutchlow did better than Iannone.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I remember when we had two tire manufacturers going on at once and half of the entire loving race discussion was racers bitching about how their manufacturer was shittier on a given weekend. Between CRT, single tire manufacturer, one electronics package, and being back to 1000cc, I think things are better than ever for eliminating the boring advantages of some teams. I think they're getting rid of the silly winged fairings next year too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Wet tires are fine for a full race in the wet. That's just not what that race was which is why rossi and crutchlow did better than Iannone.

No poo poo, but they would've finished out of the points if it had rained the entire way. MM would've won if he guessed right and it was a flag to flag with a dry second half. Meteorology, not skill.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Maybe I missed something from before 2010 when I started following, but I don't think I've ever watched a MotoGP wet race that wasn't a random clusterfuck. The strategy around tire choice has been the closest thing to rhyme or reason in any of the wet races this season. Also:

hayden. posted:

I remember when we had two tire manufacturers going on at once and half of the entire loving race discussion was racers bitching about how their manufacturer was shittier on a given weekend. Between CRT, single tire manufacturer, one electronics package, and being back to 1000cc, I think things are better than ever for eliminating the boring advantages of some teams. I think they're getting rid of the silly winged fairings next year too.

Yeah, while we're at it why don't we standardize to a single engine and chassis provider too. Dorna really needs to eliminate all of these "boring team advantages" in the prototype class.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Motor racing technology is the best when the organizing body gives some restrictions to follow, but avoids specifying anything about how to work within those rules.

That's how you get 1.5 litre turbocharged V12s making 1800 horsepower at 70 psi of boost.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Watch BSB, its balanced as gently caress (except ducati is ruining it)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

No poo poo, but they would've finished out of the points if it had rained the entire way. MM would've won if he guessed right and it was a flag to flag with a dry second half. Meteorology, not skill.

Either I don't understand your point or I disagree. :shrug:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Wet races have always been a crazy crapshoot. F1 teams have their own forecasting teams and budgets that are orders of magnitude larger, and they gently caress up strategy left and right. See: poo poo like pitting Hamilton near the end of the race last year in Monaco for no apparent reason.

It probably is a mistake that Michelin introduced soft, hard, and intermediates. Motogp teams have problems with even getting their riders to follow basic instructions like coming in to switch bikes so they don't lose races.

Really though whining about crazy wet races is a new low.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

Watch BSB, its balanced as gently caress (except ducati is ruining it)

That isn't ducati, it's just shakey's rossi streak coming through.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Slavvy posted:

That isn't ducati, it's just shakey's rossi streak coming through.

Shakey is a real man no doubt, but that bike is bananas fast.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

Shakey is a real man no doubt, but that bike is bananas fast.

It really isn't. BSB rules re: engine alteration are even more restrictive than sbk and Davies' ducati can only barely just sort of stay with the Kawasakis; British men in a shed are unlikely to know more than the factory team about making it faster. It's certainly the best sorted bike in the field right now as far as helping the rider goes but most of the i4's are definitely quicker power-wise.

Bike racing is cool because a brilliant rider and a good team make a much bigger difference than a few extra ponies.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It really isn't. BSB rules re: engine alteration are even more restrictive than sbk and Davies' ducati can only barely just sort of stay with the Kawasakis; British men in a shed are unlikely to know more than the factory team about making it faster. It's certainly the best sorted bike in the field right now as far as helping the rider goes but most of the i4's are definitely quicker power-wise.

Bike racing is cool because a brilliant rider and a good team make a much bigger difference than a few extra ponies.

Did you watch the last round? He forgot to pop the clutch at the start of a race, got buried to 10th or maybe further back. Casually ghosts his way through the field like it's not there and then wins with a multi second margin. The bike is obviously well sorted, it's also a monster of horsepower.

Second race gets another lovely start, does the same thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

Did you watch the last round? He forgot to pop the clutch at the start of a race, got buried to 10th or maybe further back. Casually ghosts his way through the field like it's not there and then wins with a multi second margin. The bike is obviously well sorted, it's also a monster of horsepower.

Second race gets another lovely start, does the same thing.

Nope nope nope. The bike has less power than haslam's zx-10, and the BMW, and probably the honda too. Despite that extra 200cc the panigale is not magically going to be more powerful than all the I4 literbikes. It just puts it down really well, by comparison haslam is constantly whining about how much spin he gets and how unmanageable the engine is which neuters him on the straight. The others are just less well-honed than the ducati. It's pretty much all the Shakey factor; Glenn Irwin is on the same bike and isn't even in the top ten in the championship. The tyres suit him, the bike suits him, his setup is perfect, he's totally unflappable and he knows the tracks like the back of his hand.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Slavvy posted:

Granted I only race baby bikes BUT the guy that wins every single race is on a stock motor. He wins because his skills are solid and he knows what he is doing and will regularly lap the field and sometimes nearly twice in a 10-12 lap race while the rest of us are on pretty modified bikes.

Talent is a pretty big trump card.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Hrm. Well now that we have discussed it I need to watch it again. Obviously he's at the top of his craft and the bike is very well set up. But it looked faster to me on just pure power, although I supposed getting the power down better looks like that too.

I've watched a few seasons of Bsb and I've never seen a rider dominate this hard, including shakey on other bikes.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

PaintVagrant posted:

Hrm. Well now that we have discussed it I need to watch it again. Obviously he's at the top of his craft and the bike is very well set up. But it looked faster to me on just pure power, although I supposed getting the power down better looks like that too.

I've watched a few seasons of Bsb and I've never seen a rider dominate this hard, including shakey on other bikes.

well Shakey is known for his cunning stunts afterall

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

It helps that the other contenders just aren't that great. The Kawasaki is a handful, the BMW is good but the riders are average, the Honda and Suzuki are ancient designs by modern standards. According to Davies the panigale favours super duper lean angles and constant sliding which dovetails with his style really well.

Haslam won a couple of races early in the season and not coincidentally they were on tracks with decent straights

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Part of it may be that better riding/setup = better corner speed = better exit speed

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I just rewatched Thruxton (round 6) which is a really fast track. Race 1 - up nearly 5 seconds then a red flag. After red flag restart, wins comfortably. Race 2 - rearset basically falls off, assume some intern gets fired, but the assumption was that he was going to house that race too.

Thruxton looks utterly terrifying, its basically just a series of really fast sweepers with questionable tarmac and camber/elevation changes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

I just rewatched Thruxton (round 6) which is a really fast track. Race 1 - up nearly 5 seconds then a red flag. After red flag restart, wins comfortably. Race 2 - rearset basically falls off, assume some intern gets fired, but the assumption was that he was going to house that race too.

Thruxton looks utterly terrifying, its basically just a series of really fast sweepers with questionable tarmac and camber/elevation changes.

Also grass everywhere and laughably dilapidated facilities. Which sums up basically every British track in my mind. Plus lots of really awkward bumpy corners and elevation changes.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Silverstone makes for an amazing Moto3 race. That was non stop war.
Really impressive show from Manzi, he had a hell of a lot of rubber on his leathers at the end of the race.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Maverick owns.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Good poo poo today. Seven top-class winners in seven races.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
According to the announcers it's the first time for 7 different winners since the 1999/2000 season. Insanely entertaining racing today. I thought for sure that Marcquez was going to throw it all away at the end, he was going crazy after he ran on the second time and got stuck behind Pedrosa.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/lorisbaz/status/772456544512405504

Baz is ok, that crash could have been really nasty if the GP pack was bigger.

edit:
Theme song of the day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isj0oBjfrxE

echomadman fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 4, 2016

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

First win in the dry for Suzuki since 2001 and I think that was still the 500cc era. I'm happy to see the rule changes over the past 5+ years resulting in such competitive racing.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Hot drat that was a good race. Cal's got that DAD POWER

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Great race! Any word on how serious the injuries were? That looked pretty rough.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzOQXnWBAKE

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Who knew hearing damage was so exciting?!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

lovely hearing won't matter when he's 5x world champion.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Double posting for a good race that felt 'normal' and not tyre-rouletty for once.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It still was tho wasn't it? Pedro made the soft front work. This season has been kinda like F1 2012 when they switched up the tires but with the twist of spec electronics as well.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Not really the same since the tires used by the other riders weren't objectively worse for the conditions. If anything, soft front on a hot track with the Honda seems like a bad idea on the face of it. It was Pedrosa making it work based on his needs and setup, not an inherent advantage of the soft front in those conditions.

Not that it's a bad thing when a rider does have an advantage because they made a better call on a tires than everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

timn posted:

Not really the same since the tires used by the other riders weren't objectively worse for the conditions. If anything, soft front on a hot track with the Honda seems like a bad idea on the face of it. It was Pedrosa making it work based on his needs and setup, not an inherent advantage of the soft front in those conditions.

Not that it's a bad thing when a rider does have an advantage because they made a better call on a tires than everyone else.

Yeah this, in prior races if you didn't have the right tyre you were hosed and if you couldn't make the right tyre work for you, you were double hosed. This time it felt like there was a genuine spread of choices everyone was happy with.

• Locked thread