Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
PJ Jacobson to Moto2 next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

BlackMK4 posted:

PJ Jacobson to Moto2 next year

i hope he does well.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Moto2 is where outside rider's careers go to die. If you come from outside the GP paddock and don't go straight to MotoGP you aren't doing much.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Moto2 is where outside rider's careers go to die. If you come from outside the GP paddock and don't go straight to MotoGP you aren't doing much.

And if you come from outside the GP paddock and go straight to MotoGP you end up fizzling out on an LCR honda or some similar poo poo and end up not doing much.

With a small number of notable exceptions.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

nsaP posted:

I disagree, the problem is that none of the riders that have entered in at moto2 have been good enough to progress. If Crutchlow and Smith weren't already in GP, I think there would be a good chance Lowes would be getting tapped for a ride due to needing a Brit on the grid. I have not been following moto2 that closely, but with KTM entering and Suter returning there is a chance there will be more good rides available. I swear I also heard that the Leopard team is going to SpeedUp next year.

The story I've always heard is that production bike riders really struggle with bike setup on the Moto3/2/GP machines. There is just so much more to mess with on the bikes that it can overwhelm them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

I disagree, the problem is that none of the riders that have entered in at moto2 have been good enough to progress. If Crutchlow and Smith weren't already in GP, I think there would be a good chance Lowes would be getting tapped for a ride due to needing a Brit on the grid. I have not been following moto2 that closely, but with KTM entering and Suter returning there is a chance there will be more good rides available. I swear I also heard that the Leopard team is going to SpeedUp next year.

The story I've always heard is that production bike riders really struggle with bike setup on the Moto3/2/GP machines. There is just so much more to mess with on the bikes that it can overwhelm them.

Lowes is going on an aprilia next year :confused:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

And if you come from outside the GP paddock and go straight to MotoGP you end up fizzling out on an LCR honda or some similar poo poo and end up not doing much.

With a small number of notable exceptions.

Still race wins.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supersport 300 will now be a thing.

Hopefully this means we'll get more hardcore 300's making it to the market.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Slavvy posted:

Supersport 300 will now be a thing.

Hopefully this means we'll get more hardcore 300's making it to the market.

I just came here to post this.

Now WSBK is about the same as MotoGP with three classes.

Though I wonder what they are going to do with the European Junior Cup. Those Honda CBR650s were entertaining.
Will the Ninja 300 and Yamaha R3 get a better/updated suspension package?

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/828d05dc5f4c88573aeb98365/files/2017_Part_2.7_WorldSSP_300_provisional_technical_rules.pdf
Honda CBR500R
Kawasaki Ninja 300 (EX300ADF)
Yamaha YZF-R3
KTM RC390

Why the hell does Honda get to run the 500? They've got a freakin' cbr300r.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 28, 2016

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Because Honda production based bikes are always poo poo?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

There's a weight penalty.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shimrod posted:

There's a weight penalty.

And a lower rev limit for the 500 and 390 as well. Everything about the engine has to stay 100% standard so I'm not sure how it'll all work.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
It's 10+ more hp but the 500 is kind of a pig compared to the others.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The rules seem like they incentivise better suspension and frame design on the manufacturer's part because the engines are super restricted but the suspension just has to have the same outer dimensions as the factory stuff. So maybe small-but-not-poo poo bikes will make a comeback in a big way?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

That would fuckin rule. Maybe that's why Honda made the cbr250rr?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

That would fuckin rule. Maybe that's why Honda made the cbr250rr?

No, it's why they made the CBR300RR :)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Slavvy posted:

No, it's why they made the CBR300RR :)

Yeah that thing

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Lowes is going on an aprilia next year :confused:

Eh well I guess Aprilia thinks the UK is an important market.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

Eh well I guess Aprilia thinks the UK is an important market.

Aprilia have nothing to do with it, he's locked in a contract with gresini and basically lucked into a factory bike, hence his hilarious performance in Moto2 being irrelevant.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The BSB showdown and the last couple rounds are so good. Both Assen races were amazing!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Great Japanese qually.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

The BSB showdown and the last couple rounds are so good. Both Assen races were amazing!

The second one was amazing, easily the best race I've seen this year in any class.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's Nippon so Moto3 is starting in 15 minutes, come join #bieks if you wanna chat about dudes going fast on motorbikes

dema
Aug 13, 2006

What a mother loving MotoGP race. Wow.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dema posted:

What a mother loving MotoGP race. Wow.

I thought all 3 races were pretty tame :shobon:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i didn't want marquez to win the championship so it was bad

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
There he is.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Was Rossi super popular even back when he had only won a couple MotoGP championships?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

hayden. posted:

Was Rossi super popular even back when he had only won a couple MotoGP championships?

The 2001 season when he won his first might be the most iconic season in MotoGP history for his rivalry with Biaggi.

He was a star from day 1.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hayden. posted:

Yes, him going to Yamaha after leaving Honda was considered a shocking career breaking move seeing as he was the best rider on the best bike and biaggi had spent so long saying the bike was poo poo et al that even Yamaha agreed their bike was terrible (it wasn't). Then he won the first race of the season on it. This experience probably informed his move to ducati which turned out to be a totally different kettle of fish.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Too bad he crashed out last weekend or the second this weekend would have been more exciting.

Where's crutchlow going next year? Two wins, one in the dry, is pretty good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's staying where he is but I imagine the bleating for more factory poo poo, and honda's indifference to said bleating, will intensify.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

He's staying where he is but I imagine the bleating for more factory poo poo, and honda's indifference to said bleating, will intensify.

He pretty much said the only physical difference between his bike and Danis is the paint job when he was explaining why he didn't jump on the factory honda last weekend.
The big difference is in the amount and quality of engineering support between HRC bikes and LCR bikes.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I wonder if the factory level of tech support matters as much these days with the 'simpler' traction control. I've always been a bit of a Cal hater, he's definitely proving me wrong. I wonder if Cal can overtake Dani for p5 in the championship this year. I think Cal could easily finish in the top 5 next year if his form continues.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

I wonder if the factory level of tech support matters as much these days with the 'simpler' traction control. I've always been a bit of a Cal hater, he's definitely proving me wrong. I wonder if Cal can overtake Dani for p5 in the championship this year. I think Cal could easily finish in the top 5 next year if his form continues.

it's the number of technicians and size of the team that matters the most. Satellite teams get one suspension guy, one data guy etc that the riders have to share (so cal is kind of lucky in that sense). Factory guys get a full team of dudes just for their own self.

Plus the fact that honda have a habit of making mechanical improvements to their bike and not passing it on to the satellites straight away for bullshit corporate reasons that make no sense anymore.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slavvy posted:

it's the number of technicians and size of the team that matters the most. Satellite teams get one suspension guy, one data guy etc that the riders have to share (so cal is kind of lucky in that sense). Factory guys get a full team of dudes just for their own self.

Plus the fact that honda have a habit of making mechanical improvements to their bike and not passing it on to the satellites straight away for bullshit corporate reasons that make no sense anymore.

Except that per Echomadman Cal is riding Dani's bike - who knows about Marc. Honda has had split development for riders in the past, so even if Cal was in HRC he wouldn't necessarily have the same bike as Marc. See 2006 Hayden/Pedrosa - it was public knowledge that Nicky was on a development/experimental bike because Dani really was the #1 rider.

Unless you have read/heard about the specific level of support Cal is getting, who knows exactly what number of techs/support he is getting from HRC. It has been said in multiple places/sources that the bikes are easier to set up this year because of the spec ECU system. I think the fact that there has been 8 different winners this year shows more parity has come to motogp specifically because of this. The fact that you don't need a huge team of electronics techs to set up a bike has been a huge benefit to the entire series.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

Except that per Echomadman Cal is riding Dani's bike - who knows about Marc. Honda has had split development for riders in the past, so even if Cal was in HRC he wouldn't necessarily have the same bike as Marc. See 2006 Hayden/Pedrosa - it was public knowledge that Nicky was on a development/experimental bike because Dani really was the #1 rider.

Unless you have read/heard about the specific level of support Cal is getting, who knows exactly what number of techs/support he is getting from HRC. It has been said in multiple places/sources that the bikes are easier to set up this year because of the spec ECU system. I think the fact that there has been 8 different winners this year shows more parity has come to motogp specifically because of this. The fact that you don't need a huge team of electronics techs to set up a bike has been a huge benefit to the entire series.

You're falling for the hype. The spec electronics have made the satellite bikes a bit closer, and definitely benefited Suzuki, but pretty much all of the non-alien wins have been thanks to tyre roulette. Crutchlows latest is the only one besides the Suzuki win that seemed legitimately because of improved parity.

I'm willing to bet there won't be a satellite dry win next year, and probably none at all, because the factories will have a much better handle on the Michelins and the tyres will stabilise somewhat instead of changing every other weekend.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ever think Rea would go to MotoGP? He seems to have the riding style/flexibility.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Too late for Rea. He rode that wave and crashed into the rocks on the Honda. Rode a poo poo bike for years hoping for a cross over. Now he's on a winning bike in WSBK so he finna win as much as possible. He's way too old now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slavvy posted:

You're falling for the hype. The spec electronics have made the satellite bikes a bit closer, and definitely benefited Suzuki, but pretty much all of the non-alien wins have been thanks to tyre roulette. Crutchlows latest is the only one besides the Suzuki win that seemed legitimately because of improved parity.

I'm willing to bet there won't be a satellite dry win next year, and probably none at all, because the factories will have a much better handle on the Michelins and the tyres will stabilise somewhat instead of changing every other weekend.

How many years did GP go with factory Yamaha and Honda riders winning every race? If you exclude Casey Stoner - how much longer was it then? There were all sorts of mixed condition / flag to flag races over the years and it didn't matter. I agree that the tires are a factor, but when the entire field went to bridgestone, it didn't stop the factories from totally dominating.

I think another sign of more parity is the riders all vying for the KTM/Aprilia/Suzuki factory rides. Given that there is no aero next year (or very little) and the spec ECU, I would contend that the best way to get ahead is to have a factory making chassis changes specific for the rider. It seemed that Yamaha could barely give away the Tech 3 rides, when only a few years ago those were considered some of the best rides in GP, factory or not.

It will be interesting to see if Honda really does make a more rider friendly motor next year. I fear if they do, it may be the Marc, then everyone else show. If Honda is unable to dominate next year, we could be entering a golden era of partiy/competition in GP. I fear that Jorge going to Ducati will be the wrong move for him, if he has to do a bunch of development work on the bike, I wonder if he will lose confidence. It is a shame that Dani still has the second HRC seat, I think his time is done, and it's time for HRC to bring in a new rider.

• Locked thread