Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Amazing ride by Rossi, I felt pretty confident he'd have won even if MM didn't fall.

Also, I didn't notice until after the race that Pedrosa wasn't there -he's getting surgery for arm pump issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Pedrosa is looking likely to never be competitive again unless the wrist surgery he just had works well which seems sort of up in the air.

I doubt anyone other than MM is going to win a championship in the next three years unless MM injures himself out of 3+ race in a single season. Dani might lose his Honda spot in 2017 when his contract is up, and whoever takes his place will probably take a year to get used to the bike and start challenging MM. I don't think the factory Yamaha team is going to replace Rossi or JL before 2017 and I don't think either of them will ever beat MM.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I wonder how beneficial dirt track practice is for people at this level. I mean obviously it has benefits (Edwards runs one) to some levels of riders.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Those are some dinky looking trophies.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

The race was warmer than it had been all weekend I believe I heard them say.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

On the straights anyway, the Ducati seemed to have a fair bit more power than the Honda.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Ducati had a ton of power in 2008 after the engine size change, but then it seemed to sort of wane after 2010. I would have guessed they were slower up until this year.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

hayden. posted:

I doubt anyone other than MM is going to win a championship in the next three years unless MM injures himself out of 3+ race in a single season... I don't think the factory Yamaha team is going to replace Rossi or JL before 2017 and I don't think either of them will ever beat MM.

Look at how wrong I am starting to look.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

He's almost no pointed in 3 races, I have a feeling he'll get there and you'll be right in the end.

Yeah I still suspect you're right. He's had some really bad luck and has obviously had setup issues with the bike. Still possible he'll starting winning every race again and Rossi/JL will DNF a couple times and that will be that.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Most interesting part of that race:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Investigated, yes (very briefly), penalized, doubt it. Pretty clearly a racing incident, though irresponsible in my opinion because there's no way MM wouldn't have run it wide going into the corner like that. He knew he was going to hit Rossi but it's considered an acceptable way to pass from what I've seen. Very similar thing happened with JL in Jerez 2013 - last corner of the race, MM ran it hot into the corner and hit JL, and actually knocked JL off. MM wasn't penalized for it.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 27, 2015

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It seemed like he didn't realistically have a chance of making a successful pass anyway. He had to go so deep to try and make the pass, it would've made it impossible for him to make the corner without running over the inside of the corner and rossi being forced off. I can't really see it as anything other than a way of trying to make Rossi crash on purpose; I can't understand how anyone could pretend it was a legitimate move. It hardly matters now but if rossi had fallen there would've been riots in the stands.

This is total armchair speculation and I'm not especially well versed in motorcycle racing, but it's possible the idea was to force Rossi off the race line or to force him to brake or something similar. It's possible to get in his way without it being an attempt to make him crash.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Good race, maybe the BT coverage missed it but very little (I think none, actually) interaction between Rossi and MM. MM still a little sore I think.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

The impression I got is that no one really respected him despite constantly winning and he was a drama magnet and cared a lot more about his family than continuing to make money. He already had a ton of cash and was set for life, why deal with frustrations if you don't have to. I think he got a lot more respect in retrospect when Rossi couldn't ride that Ducati for poo poo.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I wonder if MM is doing worse than he was last year or JL/Rossi just stepped it up a ton.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

The only thing I really thought was funny about MM was that it was only after his crash yesterday that he conceded he was out of the championship running. Unless JL and VR both had a stroke before the next race, he was already out.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

The debate on lighter weight riders is very old and still hotly contested, but it's hard to believe a 20 pound difference between bikes+riders doesn't matter when tenths and hundredths of a second matter. It seems to have a profound effect on tire wear if nothing else, Dani never has tire wear problems to the extent other riders seem to. It also helps getting behind the windshield, have super fast starts, and maybe lets him have a more aggressive fueling map.

Look at how much the bigger riders seemed to suck after the move to 800. Some say it's because the style of riding had to change, but it seems more likely that weight became more pronounced when power went down.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 29, 2015

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Shimrod posted:

His celebrations are super forced seeming too.

I disagree, he seems super excited every time he wins this season. I think a few years ago when he won the championship it was a bit more routine but the excitement seems pretty genuine.

Slavvy posted:

That move that pushed Rossi wide was like a big flashing 'gently caress you and your championship!'

Rossi wouldn't hesitate to do that in DP's position and I doubt Rossi thought anything of it given the big hug afterwards.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Lorenzo seems to have a bit of an ego and probably sucks to have as a friend. If I was a short Spanish man with millions of dollars and an awesome career and attracted pootang like it was nothing I probably would too.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

kdc67 posted:

I haven't noticed it as much this season, but the last 2 seasons were especially bad with this. "He's made it stick!" Really? Because he's in the loving middle of being passed, which everyone but you saw coming. Are you people even watching the race? They should have just brought Toby, Neil, and Jules over.

I missed the original "made it stick" complaint above you but I agree wholeheartedly, I think I complained about this in the 2014 thread somewhere. I don't get it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I'll definitely watch WSBK with Hayden in it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Boring race, I wish Pedrosa was doing better in general. Still sad that he seems like he'll never win a championship.

Does anyone know if riders get cash bonuses for winning races? Or winning championships? I've always wondered if their contracts compensate variably for performance.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Phenomenal GP race but can't help but be frustrated that Iannone hosed up Rossi's pace the entire loving race only through having the faster bike in the straights. I think Rossi definitely had the pace to lead most of the race but was constantly slowed down by Iannone everywhere but the back straight.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I was expecting a last minute upset at the end of the 2007 clip like the 2009 clip. Man am I glad it's one tire manufacturer now. I agree Sunday's race was better than both of those.

p.s. watch the 2007 clip starting at lap 10 to save time

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

n8r posted:

I don't follow the practice/qually days closely enough to say whether or not Rossi really had race pace.

I wasn't basing it off that, I was basing it off the fact that he was keeping up with Pedrobot and JL despite being constantly held up by Ian. I'm not frustrated *at* Ian, more just the circumstance. Can't blame the guy for passing in a race.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I think I am cheering for JL to win the championship now after Rossi's bizarre whining.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I can't believe race direction said they were both at fault, followed immediately by saying MM didn't break any rules. Some grade A victim blaming. gently caress Rossi.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

It's speculation at best. I see no difference in the racing between Rossi/MM than what I've seen a dozen times before that wasn't considered deliberate slowing. They're making an assumption based off the accusations Rossi gave prior to the race.

Unsurprisingly the Rossi hivemind is in full effect on /r/motogp

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

It looks to me that Rossi moved his knee out to get distance from MM. I doubt it was a deliberate kick of any sort to mess with MM, just a defensive (move away) action. It looks sort of like a kick because I think MM's bike pulled Rossi's foot off the peg when he went down. I say this as someone who finds full fault with Rossi.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

cinder posted:

Have some awareness and let JL and VR compete for the championship if you're out of it.

No one was saying this when he passed JL at the end of PI, why do you think it's suddenly applicable now? That's a ridiculous statement and no racer has ever done this that I can think of, other than the time in 2006 when Pedrosa let Hayden through after having knocked him off the bike the race before (possibly ruining his championship).

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

cinder posted:

I say that not expecting him to just concede the position and let Valentino go through, but to me, he was loving with VR and trying to have a direct impact on the championship not just do his race pace and let the cards fall where they may.

The racing we saw today between MM and Rossi was no different than what we saw between JL and MM in Philip Island. How can you claim that he was loving with Rossi? What evidence is there of this? As far as I can tell, none. It's speculation. He was racing competitively as he has always done. I will agree that he had a greater reason than usual to be as competitive as possible with Rossi, but to suggest he was "loving with VR" is ridiculous unless you are telepathic. This situation is EXACTLY what Rossi was planning for when he went on his tirade last week. He wanted MM to look as bad as possible if he dared to be competitive with him, and it worked flawlessly (at least on all the Rossi fans).

hayden. fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 25, 2015

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is it only a problem if someone unpredictably crashes as a result?

The rulings I have seen from race direction pretty clearly show that yes, you can do dangerous and dumb stuff all you want, and it's fine if no one crashes. Marc was super aggressive bumped the poo poo out of JL on the final corner of Jerez in 2013 and Lorenzo stayed on the bike (standing it up) but lost the race. No penalty.

I have never in 9 years of watching MotoGP seen a rider deliberately run wide to mess with another rider to this extent, nothing even comes close. Maybe running a foot wide to make the outside rider make it through the corner more slowly? Sure. But missing the race line by several feet and deliberately shutting the throttle to push someone else to the edge of the track? No way.

nsaP posted:

Mom was watching.

Haha, my favorite summary of this so far.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 26, 2015

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

This quote from Pedrosa has me sort of changing my mind:

quote:

But what I can say from the last maneuver, I think when you have the inside, you can go as wide as you want, because the guy on the inside has the preference always, so normally the guy on the outside should cut. But I can see that the speed at this time was already going very slow, so Marc understood that, and close completely the throttle, waiting for Valentino to turn. And then there is one moment where I can see Valentino's leg moving, and Marc crash. I would like to see more times the image of this moment, but I can see that I don't understand why this leg is moving there, and why Marc is crashing out.

According to Pedrosa, the inside racer has preference. This means MM wasn't justified in assuming he could start taking the corner before Rossi was clear. My issue with Rossi is that he went so wide - my understanding was that the riders have expectations of other riders to behave somewhat predictably, otherwise we'd have ridiculous crashes from brake checks and other bullshit. But apparently the outside rider needs to be the one yielding and the expectation of MM in that situation was to watch and wait for Rossi to start turning. He dove in anyway, and hit his brake lever on Rossi's leg. I am not sure I find any fault with Rossi if what Pedrosa said is accurate of what is expected from riders.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Day Man posted:

Pedrosa was insinuating that Rossi kicked the brake, which is what it looks like happened. Marquez was at the edge of the track and they both leaned in. Rossi is a dirty scummy racer now. This will tarnish his legacy.

I don't think he was insinuating that there *was* a kick, he was saying that at first glance it appeared to be a kick, wasn't sure what was up with that, and he didn't know and would have to look closer. I think most people had this reaction. I think the quote was from directly after the race so I doubt he got to watch it more than once or twice.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 27, 2015

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Off topic, but reading about Max Biaggi just now and it seems odd how he left MotoGP for the 2006 year. He lost his factory Honda ride and apparently failed to secure another ride, but he was doing incredibly well the previous years. Does anyone know what happened there and what the drama was? Not seeing much in Google.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Spiffness posted:

That can't happen because he'll be at the very back no matter what. Someone else could though.

I think the idea is if he full throttles it through turn 1, without braking to actually take the turn like everyone else, he can catch up and hit JL, taking him out and winning the championship.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Loving all the tears and butthurt on /r/motogp. People are so ignorant.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

theperminator posted:

Ignorant of what exactly? I don't think ignorance has anything to do with the butthurt.

Lorenzo beat the poo poo out of Marc in qualifying. It wasn't even close. Yet people are all hot and bothered that Marc never got close to Lorenzo in the race and never tried to pass him. He was never anywhere close enough to attempt a pass, and the fact that he kept up with Lorenzo despite being so much slower in qualifying was nothing short of a miracle. Even if Marc, once or twice, got close enough to pass, I wouldn't blame him for not risking crashing out Lorenzo and becoming even further criticized for messing up the championship competition.

Then they point to Pedrosa nearly passing Marc and claim that Marc magically became competitive then, and only then, and passed him back. Except Pedrosa said himself post race that he made a mistake after that pass and ran wide, allowing Marc to get back in front.

The fact that Marc was on Lorenzo's tail the entire was seems like evidence that he wasn't trying to help Lorenzo. He was keeping pressure on Lorenzo (which obviously worked, Lorenzo said he was really struggling with the pressure) which could only serve to help Rossi. Rossi's only hope was that Lorenzo would make a mistake, which wasn't going to happen if he was all alone at the front.

Another example is that they latch on to Lorenzo saying he was helped by the Hondas. He was helped, in the same way that a plane is helped by a tailwind. He's not suggesting they helped him per some per-arranged agreement to gently caress over Rossi, but Rossi fans are convinced that's what he meant. Some people were calling for criminal charges on Lorenzo based on this statement.

So many Rossi fans are completely delusional and are finding conspiracy theories where there is no evidence for any. The blame Marc for ruining Rossi's championship, when in reality they should be blaming race direction. Or maybe they should be blaming Iannone for the worst case of (unintentional, I am sure) sandbagging I have ever seen a few races ago. If not that for that, Rossi would still be the championship winner.

I am a Marc fan now if nothing else than because of the irrational hatred he's getting ala Casey Stoner.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 9, 2015

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

*This* closing to going to COTA this coming weekend since I live in Texas again (but for the first time since MotoGP at COTA). Decided it wasn't worth it because I'm fussy and want good seats, and spending $800+ for me and GF (travel, hotel, tickets) and driving 8+ hours in a weekend for a day and a half of sweating balls off just doesn't seem worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I would guess the nations represented in MotoGP are mostly a reflection of how popular it is in each country, or perhaps popularity as a percentage of its population. I have only met two people in my life who had seen MotoGP (outside of a motorcycle dealership anyway), one of which only saw a couple races in passing over the past decade, and the other wasn't exactly a die hard fan but just enjoyed it much like me.

Anyway, sort of glad I didn't bother to go to Austin last weekend given how boring the races were.

• Locked thread