Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
While Doom is the best game of all time, that doesn't necessarily make it my personal favorite. That honor goes to Yoshi's Island, which I played a lot as a kid. Shadow of the Colossus is probably my second favorite. But Doom is probably my third favorite, and the best game of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
It's important to be able to identify something as the "best" while being able to keep your favorite separate.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I need a top 10 list

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
It's the best game of all time.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I think these are good choices and you have your gamer priorities fairly in line.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hated yoshi's island when I first played it because I just wanted another Super Mario World. I revisited it many years later with an open mind and played through and enjoyed it, but it's far from a favorite. I think it's good but really overrated.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Ralp posted:

I hated yoshi's island when I first played it because I just wanted another Super Mario World. I revisited it many years later with an open mind and played through and enjoyed it, but it's far from a favorite. I think it's good but really overrated.
It has superb level design, graphics design, character design, excellent and tight controls, great music, and one of the best final boss fights in the SNES library. For these and many other reasons it's my favorite game, Ralp.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I admit the final boss fight fondly came to mind as I was writing that post.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YVy2VO3uvw

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I like sniping Naval Piranha.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
OP it is a very good game and the art still holds up very well even today

its in my top 3 favorites for sure

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ralp posted:

I admit the final boss fight fondly came to mind as I was writing that post.

probably has the best mario boss fights period

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Eonwe posted:

probably has the best mario boss fights period

Raphael the Raven, anyone?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ralp posted:

I know what you mean, I also wanted another Super Mario World even though I liked Yoshi's Island. I also missed goombas, the galoombas never seemed right.

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Raphael the Raven, anyone?

yes

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Yoshi's Island is indeed one of the best games, and is also one of my favorite games.

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

its awful how they got YI perfectly but then every single Yoshi game was fail

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's one of my favorites too op

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

mabels big day posted:

Yoshi's Island is indeed one of the best games, and is also one of my favorite games.

this, my gran bought a copy while visiting from scotland so she could take it back for my cousins but i got to play it in the meantime and i was so cut when she was leaving

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it was very good, but i like SMW more.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

played it last year for the first time and it sorta blew my mind. good poo poo, except for the piercing cry of baby mario.

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
"There is a giant lizard. Its running. It appears that he ate something, or it was otherwise absorbed into his being. He grew wings. The loving lizard, its flying, it grew god drat wings! Major, there's a baby on that lizard's back! Its riding without a saddle! I don't understand, why doesn't it eat the baby? Is the baby its friend? Major, there's too much going on. Visibility is low. It appears that winged beasts are assaulting the lizard. It appears the lizard is protecting the baby. It appears the baby is still wearing its bloody placenta. Sir, do we fire the artillery?"

"No.
We wait.
We wait, we see where that lizard is going. And we capture that god drat lizard.
Kill the baby."

Best Regards,
RG

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

RichardGamingo posted:

"There is a giant lizard. Its running. It appears that he ate something, or it was otherwise absorbed into his being. He grew wings. The loving lizard, its flying, it grew god drat wings! Major, there's a baby on that lizard's back! Its riding without a saddle! I don't understand, why doesn't it eat the baby? Is the baby its friend? Major, there's too much going on. Visibility is low. It appears that winged beasts are assaulting the lizard. It appears the lizard is protecting the baby. It appears the baby is still wearing its bloody placenta. Sir, do we fire the artillery?"

"No.
We wait.
We wait, we see where that lizard is going. And we capture that god drat lizard.
Kill the baby."

Best Regards,
RG

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
yoshi's island is perfect in almost every way and playing it makes me happy

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

RichardGamingo posted:

"No.
We wait.
Kill the baby."

Best Regards,
RG

Dec 26, 2012

RichardGamingo posted:

"No.
We wait.
Kill the baby."

Best Regards,
RG

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

rediscover posted:

yoshi's island is perfect in almost every way and playing it makes me happy

Quotin' this.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
Super Mario World is the Super Mario Sunshine of 2D Mario games, except a bunch of people think it's good for some reason.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

blakyoshi posted:

Super Mario World is the Super Mario Sunshine of 2D Mario games, except a bunch of people think it's good for some reason.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

i only played the DS version and man some of those bonus stages were insane

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

blakyoshi posted:

sunshine was good bitch

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

blakyoshi posted:

except they were both good, and youre a bitch

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

blakyoshi posted:

gently caress you!!

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

RichardGamingo posted:

"No.
We wait.
Kill the baby."

Best Regards,
RG

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

blakyoshi posted:

whats wrong with your hosed up retard brain

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
It was funny watching the delfino people react to yoshi's throw up the same way they reacted to water touching them. It was funny going under the awning then jumping on one of them, watching it loop from pressing jump once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011

rediscover posted:

whats wrong with your hosed up retard brain

I can tell when games are bad. This is a crippling disability in our modern gaming society.

• Locked thread