Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Look at those dumb assholes not realizing the incredible gaming presence among them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
dkc2 has the best Donkey Kong level of all time but I think Yoshi's Island is a slightly better game. Both still own and I could still pick up both today and immensely enjoy them.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

seiferguy posted:

dkc2 has the best Donkey Kong level of all time but I think Yoshi's Island is a slightly better game. Both still own and I could still pick up both today and immensely enjoy them.

which level is that because a lot of them were amazing

the only one i remember being bad is one of the beehive levels where you cant see where youre jumping and could be killed by bees.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

gently caress GBS

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

im going to dance on his grave tonight

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

yoshi's island had one of the best final boss battle songs on the SNES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksXKsbmthQ4

Shiki Dan posted:

Everybody knows Yoshi's Island is one of the greatest of all-time.

Yoshi's Island vs. Donkey Kong Country 2 is the REAL debate.
i still gotta say Yoshi's Island for the accomplishment that you get for 100%'ing it. that secret level in world 5 is hard as hell

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

What was wrong with Yoshis island ds

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

uninteresting levels, music was practically non-existent

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it wasnt as good

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Oh wait ds had other babies? What's the handheld one that just had mario that's the one I played

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Oh wait ds had other babies? What's the handheld one that just had mario that's the one I played
that was Super Mario Advance 3, which was a GBA port of the SNES yoshi's island. it wasn't meant to be played on a screen like that

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bobnumerotres posted:

which level is that because a lot of them were amazing

the only one i remember being bad is one of the beehive levels where you cant see where youre jumping and could be killed by bees.

Bramble Blast, because hot drat that music is the best music ever.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
drat, yoshi's island is a goodass game. its just dope.

Dec 26, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

outsourced

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

pretty much any SNES remake on GBA had poo poo music. I think the Mother series had that same problem.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
yoshis story was cozy and relaxing to play

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Tfw you touch fuzzy

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Tfw you touch fuzzy
Get eaten by a piranha plant and nobody bats an eye... touch fuzzy and everyone loses their minds!

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

qnqnx posted:

uninteresting levels, music was practically non-existent

it also got kind of weirdly bullshit hard towards the end. it's been a while since i've played it.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

there has never, and never will be, a game as painfully bland. it's made worse by having baby wario, and still being bland.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
it's really lovely that yoshi's island has had two sequels/successors and NEITHER of them come close to being as good as the original. not counting yoshi's story because i feel like that game tries to do different things that the yoshi's island games.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

It's a classic for sure OP. Probably the only game that I would bother finding a CRT and hooking up the ol' SNES to play as Miyamoto and God intended.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the GBA port is fine. I was playing through recently and stopped at that castle that has like a door in the middle and then 4 branching paths. That's a sweet level

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Playing Yoshi's island with my cousin was the first time I ever heard the phrase "shake your booty" because he would sing it whenever he saw the spear shy guys dancing in place. The SNES is a powerful system for personal gaming feels

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
i love yoshi and yoshi loves me

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Dkc2 was the pinnacle of 16bit platformers, but the true successor to the genre is Rayman Legends.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

its mostly boring, except for the last world which is insanely ridiculously difficult and not in a good way so it isn't really even satisfying to beat.

it feels wrong to compare yoshis island with dck2, they are both in the top 5 anyway and do different things well - dck2 has a way better challenge curve and is funnier, yoshis island is prettier and more creative. Ristar, which totally belongs on any best game list, gets both things right and is completely perfect except there are only a dozen levels so you can kill it in an afternoon

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
playing yoshi's island because of this thread, it's pretty good

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

SoR Blaze posted:

Dkc2 was the pinnacle of 16bit platformers, but the true successor to the genre is Rayman Legends.

dkc2 is a drat fine game, but i would have to give that title to either super metroid or mega man x.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

AHungryRobot posted:

dkc2 is a drat fine game, but i would have to give that title to either super metroid or mega man x.

Metroid may as well be another genre, and Mega Man X is super good but as far as content goes, DKC2 has to win out just based on sheer number of levels(and not really having any bad levels among them). Not enough people play Rayman Legends though, it's the best looking game since Wind Waker.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

01011001 posted:

outsourced

To the people who made Blinx the Time Sweeper, no less.

And then when Yoshi's Island DS was outed as being lovely, they changed their name before making Yoshi's New Island which was somehow even blander.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
they should have renamed it yoshi's island: *poorly done text rendition of yoshi noises taking up half the box*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
yossy

• Locked thread