Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Darth123123 posted:

So I have a dog I got from a respectable breeder from what I've researched. I've changed food, excersize, vet supplements, etc. he still eats his own poo poo. Like fresh, two week old, frozen (my kids call them Poopsicles), doesn't matter. But when I light him up on a 4 on the TriTronics, he's done with that "poo poo" straight away. Am I a bad owner, or is my lab a retard? He's 6 now, if that helps.

He's eating poop (his and/or others) because he knows he needs the digestive enzymes. Go get him some green tripe and I guarantee he will stop eating poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Superconsndar posted:

Nah man some dogs just like poop

I mean maybe, but I know some pretty spergily fed dogs (mine included) who def get poo poo like tripe all the time and one of mine is just a disgusting poo poo eater anyway

That may have been a learned behavior then because he's never known another source. Wilds dogs do sometimes consume feces of other animals, but again -- it's not because they like poop; they can smell the nutrients, minerals, etc and they know what they like and what they need. There's an insane amount of nutrients that are not absorbed and excreted by dogs that eat dry/processed kibble. If your dog came across another dog who was on a raw/BARF diet they wouldn't eat the poop... because there's nothing in it but bone.

Darth123123 posted:

Wtf is tripe? And will I throw up handling it? Is it like poo poo? If so, he'll eat that up.

It's the stomachs of ruminating animals and the full contents of whatever they were grazing on, their digestive enzymes, etc. It's a bit pungent, but not terrible. And the moment your dog smells it he will flip out :)

edit: wording

feld fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 23, 2015

• Locked thread