Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

and that person probably had a life that was more than a design doc of vocal quirks and a CV of times they saved the universe anyway. IDK if there's something I'm missing where it's only the comic books I read that suck

That is what they are, really. Superheros are costumes and lists of powers and obvious traits, they're not person-like characters with personalities and real feelings. They're these totemic figures that entertain people with really broad performances. It's like asking why the acrobats at the circus have different personalities different times.

Now on the other hand, if you open up a comic book and see spiderman crying because his wife had a miscarriage, this explanation doesn't seem to fit, but it's all some kind of ritual theater where children and other people with restricted lives get to feel the thrill of Drama in an emotionally nonthreatening, purely narrative way. I think. If you look at that and feel it has nothing to offer you, which i do, then the burden of caring about super heroes has been lifted from your shoulders:angel:

e: the crossovers are really bad though. i don't know if they've gotten better since i was a kid but the extent to which the Death of Superman stories for example were actually about a million other interchangeable super guys who i never and will never know about was frustrating and made it hard to understand or care about anything I was reading

swamp waste fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread