Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

A lot of superhero comics can be really boring and bad that way but some have interesting interpersonal drama, and also sometimes it just looks cool and you want an escapist story where the heroes save the day instead of an exploration of the human condition, and sometimes you luck out and get a story that is both and then it's cool and nice.

The problem with a lot of superhero comics especially is that there's so many of them and sometimes if you just try to pick one up it's in the middle of stuff or has a bad writer or bad artist and you think "wow this is bad" and it's kind of a genre where it's safer to just ask folks what the good stuff is instead sometimes. I guess this is also true for TV and movies too honestly in that there are a lot of bad shows and bad movies but not in quite the same way because a bad TV show getting canceled is different from a bad run of a comic, where someone else will just come along in a couple months and start using the characters you associated with 'bad' except now suddenly the guy writing it isn't bad????

It's just a hobby that some people like and enjoy and it is not always good or enlightening but sometimes it is just fun, and sometimes it's fun to laugh at the bad stuff, and sometimes it's even sort of fun to get angry at and make fun of the stuff that's very bad. I know that I am having a nice time reading comics and I like to look at the pictures and read the stories and talk about them with friends and with the internet. But not everyone likes doing these things! We live in a world where it is OK not to "get" things and to just go enjoy other things instead.

Anyway I've never really read any Flash comics so I couldn't tell you what ones are good or not but I guess someone else here could try or maybe not! Maybe the guy at work is just bad at expressing himself. Did you ask him why he likes the Flash and all he did was list off a litany of times Flash saved the world? Maybe that is just what he likes and he thinks the costume is cool or the going-real-fast power is cool and he doesn't care about other things. I think that is fine even if it's a boring reason, to me, to like a hero.

Good luck and please have a nice day.

Also someone else said you might like creator owned things and I think that can be a good route for starting to read comics, if you want to start to read them, but if you don't that is also cool and chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Snak posted:

edit: haha I just now found on Marvel's website where I can brows series's. I tried for like 20 minutes the other day to figure out how to do that but somehow never saw the popout menu. Maybe I'm too dumb for comic books...

Naw, the Marvel website is goddamn atrocious and sucks really hard to try and navigate, don't worry. (Browsing series is a really frustrating experience too! Yaaay.)

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Snak posted:

Thank god it's not just me. And even with the browse feature, the fact that, for example, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon has been cancelled, and while it says 2014-present, there's only going to be, I think one more issue.

It's mind boggling to me that, even when I find a comic I think I like, it's really hard for me to actually find any information about it. Why is this industry so unfriendly to newcomers?

I would really like for this thread to keep existing for awhile. Before finding it, I was tempted to start a "newbie questions" thread, but I think this might encompass that, because my questions aren't just about comics themselves. but about why this industry is so loving weird, even in 2015...

The Marvel site has that problem with even older runs, too. I've seen more than a few series marked as ongoing that've been finished for months, or even a year or two. I think they just don't bother updating that poo poo sometimes. It's a mess. :allears:

What comics are you trying to find information about? Or is it just the publication date stuff that was already mostly covered? I just got into mainstream comics ~a year ago so I am pretty familiar with the foibles of newcomerdom.

Slightly related: I think one of the biggest issues with comics is how much of a hold Diamond has over distribution, which kinda holds back the digital realm from what I can gather (?). It's also a weird little niche with an ever-shrinking market. That feels like a bit of a Catch-22 - the industry's fading, so they don't want to make efforts to be more accessible, but they're so inaccessible that it shrinks the market.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I think d00gz put together a Morrison Batman reading order. It's...expansive.

Diamond isn't at all what is holding back digital sales, it's comic retailers, but, really, the entire weekly catalogs of every major publisher are published digitally at this point, so it's not even a big deal unless you're trying to find some tiny indie comic that's selling three digits, in which case, the creators are probably selling it direct, anyway.

None of that is to say Diamond isn't a problem and detriment to the industry, but it doesn't have much to do with digital sales.

Ah, okay, I think I had some things conflated there then. :shobon: In hindsight I couldn't really explain why I thought those two things were linked.

• Locked thread