Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surc
Aug 17, 2004

OP its because you get the joy of reading and also the joy of cool art.

Also there's stuff that just works in the medium that wouldn't work elsewhere even though a lot of it is crap. For example I thought the watchmen movie blew largely because it was a totally faithful adaption and so much of what makes watchmen great is the ways they take advantage of the comic book medium to tell the story. Like for real I think it is the Citizen Kane of comics, although better because it's also a cool story written by a drugged out British anarchistic wizard on top of the technical mastery of the medium and pushing the limits of what you can do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Snak posted:

I see. I'm not trying to "make a big deal out of it", it's just strange to me that there are so many little things that make comics hard to get into as an entertainment medium.

Comics have been around for a while and had time to pick up a lot of weird stuff. Think of how TV shows bounce around between slots, or how lovely IMDB was for a while. Organizational problems are just the nature of trying to organize masses of media. :shrug: Publishing date isn't a problem for me because I just ignore it and go to the comic store every week or two to see what's out. (E: Again, think of that like checking the TV listings to make sure your favorite show hasn't been moved due to playoffs or whatever. You could also just call in instead of going into a store if there's none close by)

Any time there's been a run I've wanted to read, I basically just google "X reading order" and there will be like 5 results on the first page with exactly what I need (except the batman inc stuff, I didn't pick that up as it was coming out and for some reason I've never found a list that gave me the full reading order surrounding that, but that's the curse of having like 30 batman titles running at once :argh:).

If you're having trouble figuring out reading order on older stuff, just pick up TPBs/digital collections. That's probably cheaper than going the individual issue route anyway, and will really simplify things for you unless it's for a current story-arc.

surc fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 4, 2015

• Locked thread