Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel this. I'm not really into comics, but I really like the idea of comics. I read a lot of newsprint trades when I was a kid, so like, when the first X-Men movie came out, I knew all kinds of backstory. I also watched the spiderman animated series (not good) and Batman The Animated Series (pretty great). Every so often, I think "I will get into comics! it's a cheaper hobby than drinking..." but then I pick up a few books and so much of it is really, unreadably juvenile. Some comics are good though,but it's hard to have good timing. A new comic book store just opened on free comic book day, (which was yesterday, I guess) and I went there and it was terrible. I mean the staff was nice, and it was a clean store, but they didn't have much selection and I looked at their new releases section and there wasn't a single thing I was interested in. I thought when I was walking in "I don't care if I have to jump in the middle of something, I'll just grab the newest batman, or something recognizable" but I guess there's some big event called "Convergence" going on now in DC, and all the DC books were part of that. Marvel titles are all "Superior" something, which sounds like some other continuity like "Ultimates".

I really wish I'd gone to the old comic book store, but whatever. I picked up the penultimate issue of Iron Fist: the Living Weapon and thought it kicked rear end even though I had no context for what's going on, so I ordered the first volume of that, as well as Immortal Iron Fist vol 1 right after I read it. Also after poking around here I think I really want to check out the most recent Hawkeye series. I need to catch up on TMNT, which I really liked the first 16ish issues of.

But if I hadn't gotten lucky and found Iron Fist, or seen the origin of pizza dog on these forums, I would still feel completely alienated from this weird world of comic books that can be really hard to penetrate.

You can't get around the fact that a lot of comics are pretty simplistic appeals to juvenile and adolescent interests. But really, TV and movies are the same way. When comics are good, they are character dramas pared with impactful art. And it's subjective, but just like television, there's a lot of comics out there. When you find the one where you relate to the subject matter and the art grabs you, it's every bit at good as discovering a new show that you like.

Even then though, if you're like me and not familiar with the world of comic books, it can be hard to proceed. I can't believe how hard it is to find what comic series are available and ongoing. I want to find a book that I can buy ever issue as it comes out. To have a book to look forward to, rather than one to buy up back issues of online. Still working on that.

edit: haha I just now found on Marvel's website where I can brows series's. I tried for like 20 minutes the other day to figure out how to do that but somehow never saw the popout menu. Maybe I'm too dumb for comic books...

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Naw, the Marvel website is goddamn atrocious and sucks really hard to try and navigate, don't worry. (Browsing series is a really frustrating experience too! Yaaay.)

Thank god it's not just me. And even with the browse feature, the fact that, for example, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon has been cancelled, and while it says 2014-present, there's only going to be, I think one more issue.

Also, what the hell are publishing dates? Why are they in the future? or rather, why are they in the future on marvel.wikia.com? for example Iron Fist: Living Weapon #11 says "Published June 2015" well it's out (I own it), and oh next to that it says "Released April 1, 2015" what the gently caress does that mean? How can something be released before it is published? I thought maybe "oh they are saying the compilation vol , containing issues 7-12 will be released in June, and that's just how they say it in this industry" but no, issue 10 says it was published in May, but it came out March 4th. On Marvel.com, the dates listed on marvel.wikia as release dates are listed as publishing dates, which makes sense, since it's when they were published. I would understand if there were just mistakes on the wiki, cause wikis are prone to those, but they also have the right date, so why did they do it that way?

It's mind boggling to me that, even when I find a comic I think I like, it's really hard for me to actually find any information about it. Why is this industry so unfriendly to newcomers?

I would really like for this thread to keep existing for awhile. Before finding it, I was tempted to start a "newbie questions" thread, but I think this might encompass that, because my questions aren't just about comics themselves. but about why this industry is so loving weird, even in 2015...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Regarding marvel.wikia.com, I don't think that's maintained by Marvel, so blame the people who edit it for any weirdness. THAT SAID, publication date is the date displayed on the interior indicium, while release date is exactly that. It's a weird tradition that comes from the magazine industry where you post-date the magazine so that 1) it looks current when people see it and 2) retailers know when to remove it from the stand. I think you're making a bigger deal about something than is really necessary.

I see. I'm not trying to "make a big deal out of it", it's just strange to me that there are so many little things that make comics hard to get into as an entertainment medium.

• Locked thread