Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Give Pat a Job posted:

I don't think people outright hated it, but I spent a lot of time as a kid playing Breakthru. I love that goddamn game.

the first person brawler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

NickRoweFillea posted:

no its the one with the paddle and the bricks and the ball

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

NickRoweFillea posted:

No, the car shooty game. It's no Jackal, but goddamn did I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK0PLx2Ucrc

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Give Pat a Job posted:

No, the car shooty game. It's no Jackal, but goddamn did I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK0PLx2Ucrc

ohhhh. im thinking of breakdown

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

01011001 posted:

i wasnt aware that was uncommon

I've seen more people dislike it than the other way around, though maybe I just got unlucky and have been exposed to bad tastes.

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
I actually really enjoyed the DS remake of FF3. I've never heard anyone say anything positive about that game.

Dec 26, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

I've seen more people dislike it than the other way around, though maybe I just got unlucky and have been exposed to bad tastes.

its really good, idk why anyone would dislike it

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Kirby's Dream Course

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

Kirby's Dream Course
Everyone loves this game because it's really good.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

SoR Blaze posted:

I like SNES Shadowrun better than Genesis Shadowrun, and I also think that EDF: Insect Armageddon, although not as good as either of the other 2 EDFs, was just fine.

And I"m the aspie that likes the Genesis version better, though not by that much. Without a doubt it's a better Shadowrun game insofar as portraying the setting and laying down rules similar to the actual PnP RPG.

I also loved that you can take on as many side-jobs as you liked and that the Matrix was a really well thought out minigame (with the best rewards in the game if you bothered to take advantage of them) instead of a stupid tile-walker thing.

The SNES version has better graphics and music though, no contest. And the storytelling is better too (though I like the actual story of the Genesis version a bit better).

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Kirby 64 and Yoshi's story. Kirby 64 was considered mediocre at launch and is ignored even more now and Yoshi's story was straight up hated from day 1.

Both games are easy bullshit baby games on the surface but if you tried to actually unlock everything it was a decent challenge, and there were lots of secrets hidden under the surface of both games. Yoshi's Story in particular let you beat the game with like 1/6th of the content which was a stupid design decision and allowed people who didn't like to explore to coast through then complain that the game was too short.

Kirby 64 was solid and fun and had catchy music, and the 2.5D effect was used to show off a lot of cool level setpieces without shoving ~*cinematic experiences*~ in your face. Also the ability merging was clever and sometimes hilarious, like fire and ice combined would cause Kirby to go up in flame and ice himself back off in less than a second while accomplishing jack poo poo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
What kind of loving stupid idiot piece of gross smelly poo poo thinks Kirby 64 is bad

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Looper posted:

What kind of loving stupid idiot piece of gross smelly poo poo thinks Kirby 64 is bad

People with no souls

Seriously though it's not an unpopular opinion. When it came out, both on gaming magazines and the internet, were an almost universal "meh" which is bullshit because it owns.

02 is still the most :wtf: boss I've ever seen in a Kirby game

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Was dragon age 3 any good even there isn't even a thread about it on the first page of games so it must be so bland its not even fun to hate like 2

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Gone Home

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
nah, you don't actually like that

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
I really like The Secret World. The combat is boring, the graphics are poo poo, but the writing and setting are just awesome. Plus having to use more than two brain cells to finish quests is nice.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Frank Horrigan posted:

I really like The Secret World. The combat is boring, the graphics are poo poo, but the writing and setting are just awesome. Plus having to use more than two brain cells to finish quests is nice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xplora1:_Peter_Gabriel%27s_Secret_World

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
I must be a sheep because I can't think of one at the moment.

Edit: maybe ToEE or NWN2.

4 inch cut no femmes fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 28, 2015

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

resi 6, GTA 4

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Revelations: The Demon Slayer is an SMT spinoff for the gameboy that was quite good.

VWVWV
Jan 19, 2010

I don't hear a lot of people talk about crystalis but I think I've seen someone here with its boxart under their username. it's one of my fav nes games; it's a better zelda II than zelda II imo

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

VWVWV posted:

I don't hear a lot of people talk about crystalis but I think I've seen someone here with its boxart under their username. it's one of my fav nes games; it's a better zelda II than zelda II imo

am i misremembering or did they remake that for the game boy color

Dec 26, 2012

they did

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Battlefield 4

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Castlevania 64

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Warframe, which most of the warframe thread seems to hold in goony ironic contempt

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Strategic Tea posted:

Warframe, which most of the warframe thread seems to hold in goony ironic contempt

I liked Warframe

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

There's a local con that runs a tournament of the Atari ST port of this. You can daisy chain up to sixteen players using the midi ports.

You should try the port on the gameboy, it's super great.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FF13 was ok. Nowhere near the worst FF

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Cuckoo posted:

Kirby 64 was considered mediocre at launch and is ignored even more now

To the point that Triple Deluxe didn't have a single Kirby 64 keychain in the game, despite having keychains of Magalor and two characters from Triple Deluxe itself.

There's an old NES game called Arkista's Ring that I played the hell out of at a friends house and really enjoyed it, never seen anyone else even mention it before so I guess that's mine.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I liked the mixing part of Kirby 64 but the actual game made poo poo use of it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only guy in the room who likes Harvest Moon, though supposedly there are others

*gives the secret hand-signal*

let's talk about soil quality, brother

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Watch

i do a playthrough of this like once a year. I got the demo from somehere back when it came out and the demo had you in the best part of game (hong kong maps) and had the epic music that normally only plays on the final map mixed in with the normal music.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

Here's one for you to chew on: Drakengard

This. I don't understand why people hate it so much- yes the combat was repetitive, but it didn't pretend not to be, like say DmC. It's probably not great if you want to binge through it in a weekend but it's fun to play a level or two, and then you can put it down and come back later. It didn't jerk you around by giving you a wonderful powerful dragon then going "lol, you can only use once per level" or have you build up a power meter or some poo poo- it's like, here's a cool dragon who works with you now, give her a yell and she'll come and help you burn the poo poo out of your enemies as much as you like.

It has the best chapter/level/cutscene menu select system l've ever seen and that's true to this day. You only needed one save, because you could not permanently miss anything and could jump back to wherever you wanted. Most of the eyebrow raising stuff is in pursuit of 100%, which is frustrating and/or repetitive in a LOT of games.

What I'm saying is that I really care about Drakengard and I think it's a beautiful misunderstood masterpiece. I would wait outside a gamestore for a midnight release if it got an HD remake, I would even buy a collectors edition with a metal box and plastic figurine.

Now Drakengard 2 with it's bullshit boringness and having to play through it 3 times and half assed cutscenes and terrible voice acting and annoying protagonists is another matter.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Drakengard is real bad, sorry. Music's good, though.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Drakengard is real bad, sorry. Music's good, though.

You're real wrong, sorry. Except about the music, you're right about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Strong Convections posted:

This. I don't understand why people hate it so much- yes the combat was repetitive, but it didn't pretend not to be, like say DmC. It's probably not great if you want to binge through it in a weekend but it's fun to play a level or two, and then you can put it down and come back later. It didn't jerk you around by giving you a wonderful powerful dragon then going "lol, you can only use once per level" or have you build up a power meter or some poo poo- it's like, here's a cool dragon who works with you now, give her a yell and she'll come and help you burn the poo poo out of your enemies as much as you like.

It has the best chapter/level/cutscene menu select system l've ever seen and that's true to this day. You only needed one save, because you could not permanently miss anything and could jump back to wherever you wanted. Most of the eyebrow raising stuff is in pursuit of 100%, which is frustrating and/or repetitive in a LOT of games.

What I'm saying is that I really care about Drakengard and I think it's a beautiful misunderstood masterpiece. I would wait outside a gamestore for a midnight release if it got an HD remake, I would even buy a collectors edition with a metal box and plastic figurine.

Now Drakengard 2 with it's bullshit boringness and having to play through it 3 times and half assed cutscenes and terrible voice acting and annoying protagonists is another matter.

i will never forgive drakengard 2 for what they did to caim

• Locked thread