Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
renoise kicks rear end, it's pretty much the ideal thing for people who cut their teeth on "real" trackers back in the 90s/2000s but want something that can actually sound modern and professional without jumping through a million hoops

plus it has rewire support now so you can interface it with reason and god knows what other fancy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

maniacdevnull posted:

nah just gimme a heads up and i can empty quote you

lol noice

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
were trackers specifically designed with autistics in mind or smth

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

the original tracker was designed solely by and for a German coder/musician before dozens of people of roughly the same description picked it up and ran away with it

so yes basically

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

but it's a lot less autistic when you look back at when contemporary people on the C64 were making music with either glorified hex editors with play/stop keys or just straight up punching notes into turbo assembler

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
how did i miss this gr8 thrad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah trackers rule and i do all my 'PRODUCED" stuff strictly in renoise now.

i used a copy of cubase 3.55 for loving years, then bounced around through various crap, settled on renoise

only thing that sucks is it has *poo poo* midi sync so I can't use it as drums backing for my Ableton stuff, which is all driven off my bass

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

NEST HQ put together a p yospos music compilation

Article
Soundcloud Playlist

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

how did i miss this gr8 thrad

your ribbon cable connections r a piece of shitt

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ask me about trying to get a yamaha ymf-724 working in a modern operating system

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
current jam: https://soundcloud.com/botnit/its-supercharged

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Silver Alicorn posted:

ask me about trying to get a yamaha ymf-724 working in a modern operating system

no because then you might tell me about trying to get a yamaha ymf-724 working in a modern operating system

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

renoise is thre greatest. here's my latest thing https://soundcloud.com/colugo/the-adranghi-shuffle

also re: modular synths bazille is really cool and fun. i recommend it if you have no room or inclination for real hardware but want to explore modular synthesis

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Tayter Swift posted:

want to try to get a good handle on fm some day

This is a pretty pro resource too:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/znsrbxpz39vozt9/The.Complete.DX7.zip?dl=0

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Silver Alicorn posted:

if you just want to make some beep boops you can try out FamiTracker and make some NES-style chiptunes

it'll also prepare you for the world of amiga-style tracker programs

i did this a while ago

https://soundcloud.com/luigi30/outpost3

if you like trackers and FM, Adlib Tracker 2 works in dosbox and is actively updated in tyool 2015

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Dicky B posted:

also re: modular synths bazille is really cool and fun. i recommend it if you have no room or inclination for real hardware but want to explore modular synthesis

been playing around with the demo version of that, and it kicks asssss. gonna buy it i think

also recently got a microbrute. the only other new analog ive owned is the slim phatty (sold that b/c of the lovely interface) and im really digging it! sounds so differen compared to all the other old poo poo i have. think im done with vintage synths for the time being. too expensive/restrictive/possibly faulty for me to bother with. ive been toying around with the idea of starting to build a eurorack modular, but im not sure
im rdy for that rabbit hole with my current economy......

also got a korg sq1 which im mainly using with my mono/poly atm. very musical step sequencer, totallt recommend it!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Luigi Thirty posted:

if you like trackers and FM, Adlib Tracker 2 works in dosbox and is actively updated in tyool 2015

neat. i will have to check that out, i havent dont poo poo in a tracker in ages

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

adlib tracker 2 is awesome, but last time i tried it in dosbox a lot of things (like really feedback-heavy OPL3 sounds) didn't sound at all like the real thing. i feel like an idiot for getting rid of my OPL3 sometimes but i could probably get one for cheap if i really wanted to

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Granbar posted:

also got a korg sq1 which im mainly using with my mono/poly atm. very musical step sequencer, totallt recommend it!

niiice, I want to see how it plays w my 20 and microbrute... I hear it can at least do midi to cv but can it also convert hz/v to v/oct?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

daft punk railroad posted:

adlib tracker 2 is awesome, but last time i tried it in dosbox a lot of things (like really feedback-heavy OPL3 sounds) didn't sound at all like the real thing. i feel like an idiot for getting rid of my OPL3 sometimes but i could probably get one for cheap if i really wanted to

yeah after a quick youtubin of it apparently dosbox sux

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hPVwjZ6bNM&t=36s

start set at dosbox, scroll to 1:36 for real SB16

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Tayter Swift posted:

niiice, I want to see how it plays w my 20 and microbrute... I hear it can at least do midi to cv but can it also convert hz/v to v/oct?

it can output both types, so it'll work with ur MB and ur MS20.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
does it input either one? And how does that weird midi out on the top work, looks like it's a mini jack or smth?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
basically I'm hoping I can use it as a converter without having to buy a loving eurorack and English tear or that thing teenage engineering sells for 300 bucks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i cant help but think that the very cheapest microcontroller with a 16 bit DAC either in it or hanging off the side would be an excellent midi to $WEIRDOLDCONTROLSYSTEM interface

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

i soldered together a board with an LM386 audio amp on it and tested it with my function generator last night

it wasn't for music (i wanted to hook it up to another experiment to listen to a signal) but it made me think it would be fun to make music with that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BattleMaster posted:

i soldered together a board with an LM386 audio amp on it and tested it with my function generator last night

it wasn't for music (i wanted to hook it up to another experiment to listen to a signal) but it made me think it would be fun to make music with that

learn the 555 and it will keep you busy for months, no poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is ableton still ok

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

echinopsis posted:

is ableton still ok

its the best dummy

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i use logic and im mostly kinda okay with it i guess it can frustrate me sometimes tho

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

is ableton still ok

ableton's looper is integral enough to my live music thingy that yeah i beat the hell out of it

since my crackhead tenants trashed all my poo poo i have to build a new pedalboard
but i can do it better this time

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

i use logic and im mostly kinda okay with it i guess it can frustrate me sometimes tho

yep

i was using reaper for a long time but it pissed me off really badly wrt a film score once and i haven't yet forgiven it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the board that I used to make my super neat pedalboard is back in stock and I'm sorely tempted to grab one while they're available so I can rebuild it

http://www.halemicro.com/wp/products/umc32m/

these things are GRRRRRRRREAT

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I like Reason it's pretty neat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I like Reason it's pretty neat

reason is cool but sometimes the audio gets messed up, about 50% of the time when somebody sees Reason on your screen they start emanating an uncontrollable high-pitched whining noise

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gently caress HATERS MAKE BEATS

any way you want

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

gently caress HATERS MAKE BEATS

any way you want

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i only make beats the old way, by typing a number between 00 and 99 into my casio and hitting Start/Stop

then the melody comes in, in the same fashion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
yo what was that old synth\organ that would play samples with paper loops like a player piano? does anyone know what I'm talking about because it was neat

• Locked thread