Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yo what was that old synth\organ that would play samples with paper loops like a player piano? does anyone know what I'm talking about because it was neat

optigan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
there's a band based around the concept of only using optigan samples, the main dude is the guy from pinback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jkKwiu-ihA

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOlPCpSmhRM

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
lolin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY4hyWds6Qk

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
and don't forget your little finger

(it goes in the butt)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rorBOzwR3Tc

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Trig Discipline posted:

there's a band based around the concept of only using optigan samples, the main dude is the guy from pinback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jkKwiu-ihA
those aren't samples, it's the actual instrument (which did use samples itself, i apologize if that's what you meant)

also that's from their second album, for that one they replaced the optigan with two other basically interchangeable instruments

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they did a song on the first powerpuff girls soundtrack thing which i remember because we were all tragically nerdy weeaboos and i was working in a record store then

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

those aren't samples, it's the actual instrument (which did use samples itself, i apologize if that's what you meant)

yeah that's what i meant

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

they did a song on the first powerpuff girls soundtrack thing which i remember because we were all tragically nerdy weeaboos and i was working in a record store then

that's where i first heard them, i really liked it so i got their other stuff and it's p great

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7-i87UyLUU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

we used to gig with these guys back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roIKiIgV_RE

their guitarist had a floor "synth" that was crazy old and weird looking, and it only produced two notes. you could switch between notes by pressing a button. he had a ton of different stories about where it came from and who originally made it but eventually he confessed that it was actually two walkmen in a box tarted up to look like a synth, with each tape loop just having a single synth note going forever

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Trig Discipline posted:

that's where i first heard them, i really liked it so i got their other stuff and it's p great
how is exclusively talentmaker anyway? i almost got it when i saw it at the record store but i put it right back down when i saw the final track, gently caress that plagiaristic piece of poo poo even as a cover.

or is the name just an unfortunate coincidence??

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

how is exclusively talentmaker anyway? i almost got it when i saw it at the record store but i put it right back down when i saw the final track, gently caress that plagiaristic piece of poo poo even as a cover.

i like it. what's the deal on the last track? i didn't know it from anywhere else

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

we used to gig with these guys back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roIKiIgV_RE

their guitarist had a floor "synth" that was crazy old and weird looking, and it only produced two notes. you could switch between notes by pressing a button. he had a ton of different stories about where it came from and who originally made it but eventually he confessed that it was actually two walkmen in a box tarted up to look like a synth, with each tape loop just having a single synth note going forever

huh? I just like old moogs

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SmokaDustbowl posted:

huh? I just like old moogs

no real relationship the minotaur just jogged my memory because they had one of those too

i'm old, the mind wanders

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Trig Discipline posted:

i like it. what's the deal on the last track? i didn't know it from anywhere else
tbh the name might just be a coincidence (i really hope so) but "song for america" is one of the big kansas "classics" and is built completely around an extremely recognizable keyboard line from the previous year's genesis album

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 21, 2015

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
moogs are really neat

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

tbh it might just be a coincidence (i really hope so) but one of the big kansas "classics" is called "song for america", it's built completely around an extremely recognizable keyboard line from the previous year's genesis album

the last song on my copy is called "rake". i am confuse

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SmokaDustbowl posted:

moogs are really neat

agreedo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you guysssssssss are making me look at music programs and basses again AUUUUUUUUGH HAPPENING INTENSIFIES

its fun when this happens

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Trig Discipline posted:

the last song on my copy is called "rake". i am confuse

the point's moot anyway, i just looked it up on youtube and it turns out that it wasn't the kansas song at all

now i need to just buy this thing already

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

the point's moot anyway, i just looked it up on youtube and it turns out that it wasn't the kansas song at all

now i need to just buy this thing already

whoa that song is seriously missing from my (mp3) copy. fuckin' cd bonus tracks :argh:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I always thought the access virus was neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH97yvBca8o

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I always thought the access virus was neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH97yvBca8o

OHHHHH MY GOD I WANTED ONE OF THESE SO GOD drat BAD

that and the novation bass station

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
trufacts i still cane the poo poo out of the bass station VST, i just really like the sound of it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

OHHHHH MY GOD I WANTED ONE OF THESE SO GOD drat BAD

I know right

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

trufacts i still cane the poo poo out of the bass station VST, i just really like the sound of it

it came free with my keyboard :whatup:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
access virus was such a rich kid toy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SmokaDustbowl posted:

access virus was such a rich kid toy

it reminds me of neurofunk, heineken and cocaine

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i really wish there was a place here in sac where i could test drive some synths

i mean sure there's guitar center but they don't carry much beyond the entry-level korgs

dont think anything around here carries dave smith stuff and i really wanna try one out, but then again maybe that's for the best :homebrew:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Tayter Swift posted:

i really wish there was a place here in sac where i could test drive some synths

i mean sure there's guitar center but they don't carry much beyond the entry-level korgs

dont think anything around here carries dave smith stuff and i really wanna try one out, but then again maybe that's for the best :homebrew:

I went to a place here to grab a cheap midi little keyboard, and a guy who worked there showed me this loving bigass keyboard with like drum pads and poo poo that was made for Reason, it was crazy

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqbo-SXvTns

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
wendy carlos has made her stuff extremely difficult to find online and it makes me sad

one of my earliest memories as a kid was switched on bach i & ii

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

OldAlias posted:

the DAW that i primarily use is Renoise which is really cool and powerful. when i paid for it it cost me ~$70 which is good for a full version release, which last took 10 years (and the price is less to renew a license). you can also script extensions on it with LUA which is p neat
i had a look at the site and it seems p. cool

i don't know much about these things but it seems that one defining thing of a "tracker" is that you have notes from multiple tracks in a "pattern" and only one pattern plays at a time. compared to other software i've used (fruityloops in highschool and dicking around in some old :filez: ableton for a few hours a few years later) you can have a grid of several... "loops"? "sequences"? ...at once though each might typically only have the notes for one track (though at least in fruityloops you could have stuff for multiple tracks and essentially use them like tracker patterns anyway)

that seems like it could potentially be limiting for what i want to do (live jamming queueing loops with something like a novation launchpad or tablet app) but renoise has that pattern matrix thing which i don't quite get but could possibly be good enough and also i guess i don't know what i really want until i stop daydreaming about it like i have been for years and actually jump in and start doing poo poo

Jonny 290 posted:

only thing that sucks is it has *poo poo* midi sync so I can't use it as drums backing for my Ableton stuff, which is all driven off my bass
:ohdear: oh no that sounds bad too

sounds like renoise is a bad idea for live stuff then and i should just get something like ableton which actually has live in the name?

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Trig Discipline posted:

:eyepop: lol that owns

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

you can sort of use renoise for performing live but it's a different approach. this guy is well known in the renoise community for developing a technique where he programs an ohm64 to jump to different parts of a loop and mixes that with a second renoise instance
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3nRcX5d5FpJaT6QKC2LXkg

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

i hate when electronic performers do that thing where they touch a control and then jump back as if its electrocuting them

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
anklepants' music is annoyingly munkeycheez but he gets points for effort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb4bCgWkZRc

a hand-made animatronic dicknose & custom microphone knife controller thing is pretty yospos (dude works in hollywood special effects tho)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

learn the 555 and it will keep you busy for months, no poo poo

555s are one of my favourite ICs but clearly I don't use them enough for tone generation

• Locked thread