Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

crytms:

TEST MODE
2 errors
UI:[+]
NVRAM:[+]
DRAM:[+]
FPGA:[-]
+DRIVE:[+]
AUDIO:[-] LR12345678
UI FIRMWARE: 1.2

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

heads up for all you iphonehavers, Korg just put out a new batch of instruments for gadget: a bass synth, an acoustic drum sampler, and of all things a wavetable synth loaded with old Namco arcade instruments

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Module just released a free Mellotron and a $10 80s EP also.

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
the ob-6 is a good synth

spent a couple of hours this afternoon smoking a weed and playing arpeggios... an afternoon well spent

Graff
May 10, 2012

Mario Incandenza posted:

the ob-6 is a good synth

spent a couple of hours this afternoon smoking a weed and playing arpeggios... an afternoon well spent

what are the filters like. the mister is spergin hard over it, but has reservations

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
im no expert but sweepin sounds great and the envelope sounds great also

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
In a recent fit of autism I've been slowly building an automatic acid generator in Reaktor...everything built from scratch with basic units and Core, including oscillators, filters, delays, reverbs etc. Randomly generated drums, synths and sequences etc so I can just keep spamming the Randomize button to generate new 'tracks'. Most of what it comes up with is total garbage, but it did make this just now which I quite liked: https://soundcloud.com/djfireextinguisher/auto. Not great music by any stretch but its sort of fun sitting and listening to it doodle along doing it's thing :3:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i played a bunch of snes games and ended up getting that 1990s japanese video game soundtrack style stuck in my head

unfortunately my attempt to replicate it at ended up as me jamming for 16 bars with a pan flute sample over a 50s bass progression? lol at least it only took 30 seconds to record

love that m1 though it's perfect for the 90s vibe

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Bought some more crap for the 'rack, now have a more or less complete three-voice system if I try hard enough

https://soundcloud.com/dumbledog/saturday-morning-sketch

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

these are p good as stands, the rear foot has a rubber strip that keeps it from sliding around too much: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60150176/

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Quick little one-take jam I made on my OP1 using part of a horn sample pitched down, and then way down

https://clyp.it/33jq42y4

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
hey so, thinking about the physical interface for that synth i want to make out of soundblaster chips, the OPL3 allows for attack/decay/sustain/release to be set differently for every individual operator - would it be worth actually having ADSR controls for each operator, or just stick to having the one set for controlling the whole channel?
figure some of you might have mucked around with them, or have used synths that let you set a different envelope for each waveform.

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Quick little one-take jam I made on my OP1 using part of a horn sample pitched down, and then way down

https://clyp.it/33jq42y4

nice, the OP-1 seems like it'd be a lot of fun to muck about with.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

epipen posted:

would it be worth actually having ADSR controls for each operator

yes. simple example: use 3 ops as drawbars, 1 op for percussion so you can make all your cheesy hammond organ clone thingies. also, when you set 4 of 'm in series you can give the top two short pluck type of envelopes and because 4 ops at different frequencies = chaos you get a kind of noisy attack which helps in emulating brass, or synth bass stuff.

basically envelopes per operator allow nice evolving sounds, by making everything the same it kind of misses the point of fm especially since the lfo is global and for pitch

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Laserjet 4P posted:

yes. simple example: use 3 ops as drawbars, 1 op for percussion so you can make all your cheesy hammond organ clone thingies. also, when you set 4 of 'm in series you can give the top two short pluck type of envelopes and because 4 ops at different frequencies = chaos you get a kind of noisy attack which helps in emulating brass, or synth bass stuff.

basically envelopes per operator allow nice evolving sounds, by making everything the same it kind of misses the point of fm especially since the lfo is global and for pitch

thanks, that seems like the best idea. I thought i could get some interesting sounds out of it, but I don't really have much experience with them.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fm is cool but then again is it the best thing

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

epipen posted:

hey so, thinking about the physical interface for that synth i want to make out of soundblaster chips, the OPL3 allows for attack/decay/sustain/release to be set differently for every individual operator - would it be worth actually having ADSR controls for each operator, or just stick to having the one set for controlling the whole channel?
figure some of you might have mucked around with them, or have used synths that let you set a different envelope for each waveform.

nice, the OP-1 seems like it'd be a lot of fun to muck about with.

You're basically describing the Alkemie's Castle:

http://busycircuits.com/alm011/

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Tayter Swift posted:

You're basically describing the Alkemie's Castle:

http://busycircuits.com/alm011/

I'd say similar, but maybe not quite - I intend to actually make it into a (semi)portable synth. Probably with two OPL3s for better 4op polyphony. Most of the more interesting stuff is on the programming end of things.

Also there's way more parameters on the OPL3 than that.

echinopsis posted:

fm is cool but then again is it the best thing

it's interesting but it's not the most versatile thing in the world. This is mostly babby's first synth + a pretty decent electronics and programming project for something to do.
I think i mentioned it here before, but I *might* be able to make the programming aspect into a final year university project.
Current thinking is having arduinos taking control signals and writing the appropriate data to the OPL3's registers, while using a raspi or whatever other single board computer to deal with the interface + run things like a sequencer, loop, patch selection/editing, etc.
Potentially also make a USB soundblaster card just for fun, the chips are cheap as hell, it'd just be a matter of writing a driver for it and getting the output filtering right. and getting dosbox or whatever to actually use it instead of the emulated one.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its cool. I was just being a dick. I go back and forward between analog and fm when loving around in ableton live. in theory I guess, at least if I am compareing fm and analog in live, is that fm can do everything analog can do and then more

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

echinopsis posted:

its cool. I was just being a dick. I go back and forward between analog and fm when loving around in ableton live. in theory I guess, at least if I am compareing fm and analog in live, is that fm can do everything analog can do and then more

OPL-3 also has additive synthesis, too, even tho it's digital in the strictest sense

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
FM is sick but has massive janitoring overhead

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Jonny 290 posted:

FM is sick but has massive janitoring overhead

oh yeah i've been thinking abt that, i'm not reaaally sure an arduino will actually be powerful enough - going to have to janitor a whole lot of individual bits in the registers, which is all well and good but computationally kinda sucks, we'll see how we go I guess, but if I feel operations are too slow i may end up stepping up to something more powerful.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

epipen posted:

OPL-3 also has additive synthesis, too, even tho it's digital in the strictest sense

i guess im just referring to the process not a true analog system. its cool

epipen posted:

oh yeah i've been thinking abt that, i'm not reaaally sure an arduino will actually be powerful enough - going to have to janitor a whole lot of individual bits in the registers, which is all well and good but computationally kinda sucks, we'll see how we go I guess, but if I feel operations are too slow i may end up stepping up to something more powerful.

you talking about a arduino uno or something beefier?

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

echinopsis posted:

i guess im just referring to the process not a true analog system. its cool

you talking about a arduino uno or something beefier?

was gonna be an uno, but i can go beefier if i need to. Ideally i want to be operating the thing as fast as possible, 'cos it'd be neat to write demos and poo poo for it, and I kinda want to write a cool tracker or something for it.

And nah it's cool, it's just the opl3 has some cool features and that it had additive synthesis is pretty unusual and interesting to me, didn't really expect it.

On another topic: the behringer deepmind 12 looks really cool, probably the first time a behringer product has actually interested me lmao.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
genuinely intrigued what youll achieve with the arduino

hang on are you creating the sounds with the uno or controlling another chip

i wasnt paying attention before

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

echinopsis posted:

genuinely intrigued what youll achieve with the arduino

hang on are you creating the sounds with the uno or controlling another chip

i wasnt paying attention before

oh there's already arduino synth projects out there, they're not amazing but they're interesting I guess.

Yamaha OPL3 chip, used in the Soundblaster 16 and AdLib Gold 1000 audio cards of the late 80s/early 90s.
Soundblaster has the easiest circuit to make, and the DAC it uses is far more common.
Adlib sounds far better because the dac it uses oversamples, but the DAC is more expensive and more complicated to use, so i'm not real sure what I'll use yet.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im so far behind you in life its not even funny

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
The Behringer is cool but apparently it was supposed to be 500-600$? welp the ceo said it was more along the lines of a thousand

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Olivil posted:

The Behringer is cool but apparently it was supposed to be 500-600$? welp the ceo said it was more along the lines of a thousand

idk that's still a bit of a steal for the hardware.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
that's a complete steal, the only sub-$1000 polysynths you're going to get are either virtual analog, not real analog, or if they're analog they don't have a shitload of knobs and are mostly that cheap because their prices already depreciated since they're close to 30 years old

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

i mean sure it looks like its worth at least a thousand,

but people were pitching this against the minilogue price-wise which was p lol

a things for sure they have a bona fide hit on their hand if theres no strings attached at 999$

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Teenage Engineering is giving a talk at Pause Fest (some sort of Aussie conference?) and might be showing off a bit of the OP-Z, their next audio/video synth. The rest seems like bits and pieces of other presentations theyve given

Is live on their FB page only unfortunately https://www.facebook.com/pausefest

Edit: Also a lot of pocket operator stuff :3:

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 19, 2016

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

doublepost w/ my doublecup etc

Footwork/160BPM WIP w/ MPC2500 and OP1 https://clyp.it/yxqfwo50

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i wrote this snippet on a kraftwerk kick

https://soundcloud.com/luigi30/a-bunch-of-korgs

i also set up an amiga emulator and installed protracker! this isn't v good tho

https://soundcloud.com/luigi30/mod

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Shooting from the hip with another lazily sequenced classic https://clyp.it/acafpa0u

This is a jam! I got to see them in glorious 3D at Movement this year and it was p much a religious experience.

Modeselektor was also fantastic. It was kind of surreal to have all these yuge Monkeytown graphics on the screens like the day Harambe died, not even joking :tinfoil: :350:

Edit:

Luigi Thirty posted:

i also set up an amiga emulator and installed protracker! this isn't v good tho

https://soundcloud.com/luigi30/mod

I actually like this more than the first one because it reminds me of Simcity 2000 after disasters are over

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

thanks

I downloaded a massive pack of original 1980s sample disks and I've been plugging away just making little snippets in ProTracker with them like it's 1992

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

fasttracker ii for life imo

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Sometimes the OP1 is really unforgiving and you leave the line-in enabled not realizing that you're re-recording everything every time you do a take (weird audio routing setup rn) and by the time you realize the levels are hosed it's too late :sigh:

I need to redo most of this but I'm happy I cranked 3 out in one day https://clyp.it/vuy5sbpv gonna try to keep at this daily until I break the chain

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Olivil posted:

fasttracker ii for life imo

get the gently caress out

IT motherfuckers

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
https://serato.com/roland

Probably timecode SoundCanvas, hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
update: i sold off all of my hardware except for my kurzweil, which i will sell as soon as someone figures out how good it is. might not ever sell the cirklon tho. gently caress hardware

• Locked thread