Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
What do you think of when you think of San Diego?

How about Oakland?

Do you think about this?

:barf:

Well that's because the Chargers and Raiders have spoke about a deal to build a stadium in beautiful Carson, CA

Carson is known for it's beauty

quote:

On the field, the San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders have had as bitter a rivalry as any in the NFL but in a sense, they’re now partners.

The teams will officially announce Friday that, while they work on stadium deals in their current cities, they will jointly pursue a shared, $1.7-billion NFL stadium in Carson as an alternative.

Update: Proposal prompts dismay in San Diego, hope in Oakland

While theirs might seem to be an unlikely pairing -- the Silver & Black and the Powder Blue -- the Raiders and Chargers have actually been closer over the years than many people might think.

:stare:

JANUARY 12 2017

THE CHARGERS ARE DEAD
LONG LIVE THE CHARGERS

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
OP owns for the Kawhi Leonard picture

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A thread referencing the Oakland Coliseum and not mentioning overflowing sewage? A shameful OP.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

seiferguy posted:

A thread referencing the Oakland Coliseum and not mentioning overflowing sewage? A shameful OP.

:confused:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I grew up in SD and now live 15 minutes from the new stadium. I'd like to be able to sit here and say I won't root for them, but I don't think I'll be able to hold out hating them for long once they get up here :(

How did all the Raiders fans in LA keep rooting for them once they moved to Oakland? Weren't they all pissed off too?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I grew up in SD and now live 15 minutes from the new stadium. I'd like to be able to sit here and say I won't root for them, but I don't think I'll be able to hold out hating them for long once they get up here :(

How did all the Raiders fans in LA keep rooting for them once they moved to Oakland? Weren't they all pissed off too?

Probably easier since they didn't have a long established history in LA and we're Oakland's team anyway

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Doesn't actual poo poo spew out of the stadium in Oakland?

I think this is a good move.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

The Raiders are actually really cool and the only thing stopping me from changing teams when they inevitably move here is that they aren't any good. Well, see ya

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

If you think Seahawks fans are bad, wait until you see Raiders Fans when the team is good

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

SA2K posted:

If you think Seahawks fans are bad, wait until you see Raiders Fans when the team is good

Is that not par for the course for every professional franchise of any sport?

The Raiders are cool, I enjoy them and am jealous of their uniforms and helmets.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Shath Hole posted:

Is that not par for the course for every professional franchise of any sport?

The Raiders are cool, I enjoy them and am jealous of their uniforms and helmets.

Historic legacy franchises up the ante. Yankees fans, Lakers fans, Red Wings fans, etc

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

SA2K posted:

Historic legacy franchises up the ante. Yankees fans, Lakers fans, Red Wings fans, etc

Am I allowed to feel pride in the Minneapolis Lakers? This is important

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Am I allowed to feel pride in the Minneapolis Lakers? This is important

Why wouldn't you?

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I miss Hollywood Park. Nothing beat $1 blackjack and old people watching hours of ponies.

I like how the NFL sent out a memo trying to reestablish control of the LA process after the Rams talked about moving, and now they get blindsided with this going public.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Now the mayor is talking about the Chargers abandoning generations of Chargers fans. As if the team should just sit back and wait for another failed proposal.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I'm not sure moving an hour or 2 away is abandoning, especially when like a quarter or half of fans are in LA and OC.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Its Miller Time posted:

I'm not sure moving an hour or 2 away is abandoning, especially when like a quarter or half of fans are in LA and OC.

It's a major city to a major city. It's like moving the Jets to Philadelphia

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

SA2K posted:

Maybe if the Jets had once played in Philly, Philly had no existing team, there was no major sports rivalries and a large portion of the Jets fan base was drawn from massive Philly suburbs...

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 20, 2015

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

That one season thst the Chargers played in LA in 1960 formed some strong bonds and a loyal fan base up there, I agree

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
Great thread A+ would read again.

cool to see the drunken barfight pic out in front of the double deuce that closed down the streets so the cops could wank.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

SA2K posted:

San Diego would still be in the viewing area and it's not like they are moving a flight away.

It's 1/2 of a name change and maybe less going to home games. Die hard Charger fans would still make the trip to see games I would hope.

It's not like it's a new timezone and you have to stream every game from now on and struggle to find team gear to buy near you. The team is the same, just in a slightly different spot.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Athanatos posted:

San Diego would still be in the viewing area and it's not like they are moving a flight away.

It's 1/2 of a name change and maybe less going to home games. Die hard Charger fans would still make the trip to see games I would hope.

It's not like it's a new timezone and you have to stream every game from now on and struggle to find team gear to buy near you. The team is the same, just in a slightly different spot.

I think people in the city are pretty pissed about how they've been strung along. Fabiani went from, "oh hey, we're working on it" to "gently caress you we're bouncing to LA, and the mayor, the porters, and the hotelers are idiots" in like a span of 3 days. And then it turns out this plan was in the works for a while. I'm not a Charger fan, I just live here, but people feel pretty annoyed and exploited, especially the die hard season ticket holders who probably renewed on hopes that they could work it out.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Athanatos posted:

You don't think Seahawks fans would be mad if they moved the team to Spokane? Or if the Browns or Bengals moved to Columbus?

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
This Carson press conference makes it seem like this whole thing is a done deal.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

SA2K posted:

You don't think Seahawks fans would be mad if they moved the team to Spokane? Or if the Browns or Bengals moved to Columbus?

Mad? gently caress yes. 100%

Abandon the team like chicken little? Probably not.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I am so confused
https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/568837643175227393/photo/1

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Athanatos posted:

Mad? gently caress yes. 100%

Abandon the team like chicken little? Probably not.

As a season ticket holder, it just really really really loving blows, man

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Proportion of Raider fans to Charger fans in LA. Also, hail Hitler.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

SA2K posted:

Sorry 2k. I feel for you. But we knew this was coming deep down I think. The city didn't do enough and the Chargers didn't want to stay badly enough to bridge the monetary gap.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I hope the Raiders leave Oakland again, that would be cool.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

SA2K posted:

It loving sucks and is terrible and the stadium sharing is just an extra lovely topping, I'm sorry if I implied it any other way.

I was just befuddled by so many Charger fans saying they are done with the team if this happens when I look at a map and it doesn't seem like a fandom defining move.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Athanatos posted:

It loving sucks and is terrible and the stadium sharing is just an extra lovely topping, I'm sorry if I implied it any other way.

I was just befuddled by so many Charger fans saying they are done with the team if this happens when I look at a map and it doesn't seem like a fandom defining move.

San Diegans also have an extreme inferiority complex when it comes to LA. It's not just sports, but I'd say that rooting against the Dodgers and Raiders when they were in LA, and losing the Clippers to LA plays a part.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Athanatos posted:

It's harder to get between those places than it looks on the map. It's definitely doable (I've gone the other direction to go to Chargers games), but it's a way bigger pain that having the team local. And while it's true that the Chargers have a decent sized fanbase in LA, the people actually in San Diego don't view it as a LA suburb or something. It's it's own awesome city and they want it to be treated as such. A team playing in Carson isn't going to feel like it's really part of San Diego.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

MourningView posted:

It's harder to get between those places than it looks on the map. It's definitely doable (I've gone the other direction to go to Chargers games), but it's a way bigger pain that having the team local. And while it's true that the Chargers have a decent sized fanbase in LA, the people actually in San Diego don't view it as a LA suburb or something. It's it's own awesome city and they want it to be treated as such. A team playing in Carson isn't going to feel like it's really part of San Diego.

Not only that, but San Diego is literally the 8th largest city in the country by population so there's no reason to think of themselves as LA Junior. SD to LA wouldn't even be the shortest distance between two NFL franchises, even ignoring the stupid poo poo like SF to Oakland, Cincinnati and Indianapolis are closer to each other, and I don't think anyone thinks those two teams should share a fanbase or w/e

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

On the plus side, the Lennay Kekua fan club can be closer to Te'o

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

So what does this do to the Rams? Can LA support three NFL teams?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The Chargers would be the 6th most popular football team in LA

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

SA2K posted:

The Chargers would be the 6th most popular football team in LA

Maybe right now, but a bunch of people will change teams. The fact that they are better, and will presumably for the near future continue to be better than the raiders is a definite plus

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Raiders have a pretty big fanbase in the area from the last time they were here even after moving and being terrible, I don't think that's going to decrease dramatically once they're actually playing here again. They're the most popular franchise in the area by a pretty decent margin and always were the most logical team to move back. They didn't move the last time because no one cared about them, they moved because the stadium situation was godawful and LA was broke and had no interest in improving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I wish la could get a team that isn't the Chargers raiders or Rams but beggars can't be choosers.

• Locked thread