Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

MourningView posted:

The Raiders have a pretty big fanbase in the area from the last time they were here even after moving and being terrible, I don't think that's going to decrease dramatically once they're actually playing here again.

They didn't move the last time because no one cared about them, they moved because the stadium situation was godawful and LA was broke and had no interest in improving it.

Oh of course but for all the people here who have latched on to dumbass random teams (like, oh, say, the bengals) and are more interested in rooting for a local team I think they'd probably choose the one that, at this moment, is better. Maybe that's wrong though idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Maybe right now, but a bunch of people will change teams. The fact that they are better, and will presumably for the near future continue to be better than the raiders is a definite plus

Teams that will be more popular than the LA Chargers: Raiders, Rams, USC, UCLA, Mater Dei

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SA2K posted:

Teams that will be more popular than the LA Chargers: Raiders, Rams, USC, UCLA, Mater Dei

I don't think the Rams will be, and no one gives a poo poo about UCLA football.

Oh of course but for all the people here who have latched on to dumbass random teams (like, oh, say, the bengals) and are more interested in rooting for a local team I think they'd probably choose the one that, at this moment, is better. Maybe that's wrong though idk

You can probably get some of that, especially if they wind up being good. Though a decent number of the people cheering from seemingly random teams are doing it because either they or their family are transplants from somewhere else, so they might be less inclined to switch. But you might get some of the folks who just latched onto like the Broncos or whatever, sure.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 20, 2015

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

There is absolutely no chance more people will care about any drat high school team than any professional team lol

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

I think you are right, because the people who don't love the raiders hate them so they aren't going to become fans if there is another local option.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

MourningView posted:

:orks:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

There is absolutely no chance more people will care about any drat high school team than any professional team lol

Outside of Texas at least.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

SA2K posted:

San Diegans also have an extreme inferiority complex when it comes to LA. It's not just sports, but I'd say that rooting against the Dodgers and Raiders when they were in LA, and losing the Clippers to LA plays a part.

I've lived in SD my whole life and I never understood hate for LA. It's always used as some kind of bogeyman for us, and I don't get it. Both places have cool things and lovely things. But they're both more similar to each other than not

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Have they solved the traffic issues? From what I understand weeknight games in any location that isn't downtown would cause massive traffic jams that would last for hours and affect large areas of the city.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Glass of Milk posted:

I've lived in SD my whole life and I never understood hate for LA. It's always used as some kind of bogeyman for us, and I don't get it. Both places have cool things and lovely things. But they're both more similar to each other than not

LA is crowded, smoggy, and overall pretty lovely and tough to park in. They also drive like a bunch of assholes. People there weren't trained to use a blinker ever. I don't feel those things about San Diego.

Konstantin posted:

Have they solved the traffic issues? From what I understand weeknight games in any location that isn't downtown would cause massive traffic jams that would last for hours and affect large areas of the city.

That planned Carson spot actually isn't too bad as far as LA is concerned. I think the freeways there could probably handle that as you have multiple outlets.

thompson fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 20, 2015

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

MourningView posted:

I don't think the Rams will be, and no one gives a poo poo about UCLA football

Man I've seen more people wearing UCLA gear the last three years than ever

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Konstantin posted:

Maybe they're just saying "gently caress it the city is awful anyway"

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

thompson posted:

LA is lovely

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I never really understood the traffic concerns because other than like one MNF game and one TNF game a year it would all be on Sundays and who gives a poo poo then?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Korranus posted:

So what does this do to the Rams? Can LA support three NFL teams?

I don't see any way it affects the Rams. Kroenke already has land for his stadium, and they're a vote away from being allowed to build it. He's likely getting what he wants anyway. Chargers and Raiders are just fighting for a second stadium to be built in the city that they could both play in. As long as a good portion of each fanbase sticks with the team and watches on TV, ratings will be up, and the two stadiums should at least get frequent decent attendance, albeit not sellouts. Rams would probably be at best the second-most popular NFL team there if they aren't the only ones to go, but they're already not the most popular sports team in St Louis anyway so that's not a shocking development.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

mike- posted:

I wish la could get a team that isn't the Chargers raiders or Rams but beggars can't be choosers.

Give them the Steelers or Lions

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

MourningView posted:

Why not? They were in LA forever, and that's kind of where all their fans are now.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

I don't see any way it affects the Rams. Kroenke already has land for his stadium, and they're a vote away from being allowed to build it. He's likely getting what he wants anyway. Chargers and Raiders are just fighting for a second stadium to be built in the city that they could both play in. As long as a good portion of each fanbase sticks with the team and watches on TV, ratings will be up, and the two stadiums should at least get frequent decent attendance, albeit not sellouts. Rams would probably be at best the second-most popular NFL team there if they aren't the only ones to go, but they're already not the most popular sports team in St Louis anyway so that's not a shocking development.

Now on the other hand re: traffic, if both these stadiums got built though lmfao at the 405 when both the Rams and the Raiders/Chargers have home games

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Although isn't there a worry about fractions? On a smaller scale, Minneapolis-St. Paul has Hockey and Basketball running side by side, hockey is more popular by a long long shot and the Basketball team is always on life support. If there's three LA teams, aren't you just essentially dividing down the amount of fans by a lot? I get that NYC has two teams but still :shrug:

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

I never really understood the traffic concerns because other than like one MNF game and one TNF game a year it would all be on Sundays and who gives a poo poo then?

LA is unlike any place i've ever been in terms of traffic. Not even NY compares. There are just so many cars on the road that adding another 80,000 people all at once makes a difference. A 20 minute drive on the weekend can easily take you two hours with the right set of circumstances. An NFL stadium certainly fits the bill. If 3 teams move with two stadiums and you have the same kickoff time? Whoo doggie that's a lot of people. They'll really have to find a way to get Amtrak involved to help in some way.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If the Chargers and Raiders move there, the Rams won't. They won't have 3 LA teams. There's no way.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Although isn't there a worry about fractions? On a smaller scale, Minneapolis-St. Paul has Hockey and Basketball running side by side, hockey is more popular by a long long shot and the Basketball team is always on life support. If there's three LA teams, aren't you just essentially dividing down the amount of fans by a lot? I get that NYC has two teams but still :shrug:

It all depends on how much people embrace the teams. I feel like NYC could support a third team for example.

While you may be dividing up the fans in terms of who's buying merchandise, you're talking about the ability to (theoretically) fill 24 large stadiums full per year where those three teams don't sell as many tickets (again, in theory). If they sell an extra 20k tickets per game averge, that comes out to almost a half a million extra tickets sold. Per year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Glass of Milk posted:

That is always true of all dumb regional rivalries.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So if they both move wouldn't one team have to switch divisions/conferences? I can't see two teams from the same division in the same stadium being viable.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nail Rat posted:

Why not? They were in LA forever, and that's kind of where all their fans are now.

I dunno, but I never see Rams fans anywhere. I guess because they were typically second fiddle to the Raiders and then moved to Orange County, but even living in OC I don't see them so I dunno.

I never really understood the traffic concerns

It's Southern California.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

If the Chargers and Raiders move there, the Rams won't. They won't have 3 LA teams. There's no way.

I have to believe that this is going to make either the city of San Diego or the city of Oakland cave

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I've lived in OC/LA my entire life and I'm not sure I know more than a couple rams fans

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

axeil posted:

So if they both move wouldn't one team have to switch divisions/conferences? I can't see two teams from the same division in the same stadium being viable.

I still like the idea of finding a fourth. AFC Los Angeles division.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

I still like the idea of finding a fourth. AFC Los Angeles division.

Move the entire AFC West there. The brawls would be spectacular.

SA2K posted:

I have to believe that this is going to make either the city of San Diego or the city of Oakland cave

I'm guessing it's SD that caves. Oakland I don't think has the finances or desire to keep the team. Plus there's the whole situation with the A's to consider there as well.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SA2K posted:

I would definitely prefer that over sharing a stadium. Especially since I'm pretty sure the A's already have their situation figured out, so if Oakland caved, it would just be for the Raiders, and could be all personalized and decked out in silver and black like the niners new stadium.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

I would definitely prefer that over sharing a stadium. Especially since I'm pretty sure the A's already have their situation figured out, so if Oakland caved, it would just be for the Raiders, and could be all personalized and decked out in silver and black like the niners new stadium.

I think that might be the reason that the situation in Oakland is impossible. They can't build two stadiums at once.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

axeil posted:

Move the entire AFC West there. The brawls would be spectacular.

LA doesn't deserve a guaranteed playoff team every year.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Volkerball posted:

LA doesn't deserve a guaranteed playoff team every year.

Neither does Boston but that's the world we live in

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
I honestly don't think San Diego will cave. I don't think Faulconer cares enough and it's the 2/3 majority vote to approve funding that's the problem. He's too busy trying to right the mayor's office after the who Filner debacle to deal with this. From the beginning I thought the Bolts would have to find more money to put in and they haven't. They've tried to couple their efforts to the convention center so that the city will care (from an elected official standpoint) and it just isn't happening. They tried to funnel through the hotel tax, but anyone who has stayed down here knows that that is really high already at 10.5%.

thompson fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 20, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Wait are the A's definitely moving to San Jose or did they work out something with the County?

thompson posted:

I honestly don't think San Diego will cave. I don't think Faulconer cares enough and it's the 2/3 majority vote to approve funding that's the problem. He's too busy trying to right the mayor's office after the who Filner debacle to deal with this.

So do you think Oakland does then? I can't see them budging either.

Related, I was in San Diego for the first time earlier this month and it's such a great city but it seems like getting to LA would be a hassle. I didn't really comprehend how far the distance was until I was talking to someone who had to fly into LAX and drive down. It took over 2 hours. I think people here on the East Coast don't really get how spread out things are when you cross the Mississippi.

axeil fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 20, 2015

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

thompson posted:

I honestly don't think San Diego will cave. I don't think Faulconer cares enough and it's the 2/3 majority vote to approve funding that's the problem. He's too busy trying to right the mayor's office after the who Filner debacle to deal with this.

I have no idea why it needs to be a city vote. It should be a county vote.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
IIRC i think they made a deal to tear down the coliseum and build a new stadium there.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

SA2K posted:

I have no idea why it needs to be a city vote. It should be a county vote.

This looks like it helps. I'm going to read this right now, but in case you're wondering. I'm a little hazy on specifics and i'm drawing on stuff that I hear on my hour ride home to Carmel Mountain so it's not exactly 100% accurate.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2015/2/20/8077563/how-to-keep-the-chargers-in-san-diego

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Volkerball posted:

IIRC i think they made a deal to tear down the coliseum and build a new stadium there.

So that would mean the Raiders really aren't bluffing then since they're about to not have a stadium to play in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Re: Rams fans, I try to talk up Rams fans at Seahawks games. I lived in STL for a bit, but almost all the Rams fans I see are from SoCal. I'd bet more people in SoCal are still Rams fans than there are rams fans in Missouri.

Re: NFL to LA, I think we can all assume Oakland is moving, it's just who is the other team STL or SD. Both are good cities with varying positives and negatives.

• Locked thread