Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

It totes gives rail routes as well.

If you're in London. The clue is in the postcode. Croydon doesn't have London postcodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Kaiho posted:

It totes gives rail routes as well.

If you're in London. The clue is in the postcode. Croydon doesn't have London postcodes.

Unless you living in the stupid south east.

London Borough of Bromley (Londons biggest borough no less) has a BR postcode instead of SE. Same as my old home town of Bexley.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

You seriously never want to be at the mercy of National rail commuter services these days. Especially anything to do with London Bridge.

Citymapper definitely includes both underground and commuter rail services, I just checked it now and its 24 minutes from Victoria to Croydon.

UnrelatedHam
Nov 6, 2010
No disputing that Citymapper includes rail routes, but I get the impression that the OP is (wisely) trying to avoid them in favour of overground, tube and bus.

Dpack, I'm in Bromley borough and my postcode is SE, so it's not even consistently nonsensical.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Weird, maybe I typed something wrong on my Citymapper. Anyway, I'll probably be switching for a better paid job now at Isle of Dogs, so I'm mainly checking out apartments around that area. I don't mind paying a little bit more for an apartment if I can save up on 2 daily trips to and from work. We'll see how this works out!

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
If you'll be working around Isle of dogs, look for places in the south/South East (near the DLR) for cheaper rent. Places like lewisham are going through a major rehaul and you could find decent rent there and have a 20-25 minute commute

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Filthee Fingas posted:

If you'll be working around Isle of dogs, look for places in the south/South East (near the DLR) for cheaper rent. Places like lewisham are going through a major rehaul and you could find decent rent there and have a 20-25 minute commute

Good call on that one, mate! I'll check those zones out.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

My partner used to live in Palmers Green. It's about 30-40 minutes out of the centre by train or bus (I think bus can be a bit faster), and she was paying £400/month in a 4-person house-share in a pretty decently sized Victorian house.

It's not such a bad area, there's at least one really big park and there's lots of Greek food about.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

WhatEvil posted:

My partner used to live in Palmers Green. It's about 30-40 minutes out of the centre by train or bus (I think bus can be a bit faster), and she was paying £400/month in a 4-person house-share in a pretty decently sized Victorian house.

It's not such a bad area, there's at least one really big park and there's lots of Greek food about.

I've been seeing apartments around Isle of Dogs, and almost all of those I've seen and visited were between 400-500 quid.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Yggdrassil posted:

I've been seeing apartments around Isle of Dogs, and almost all of those I've seen and visited were between 400-500 quid.

FWIW I lived further away: around the pontoon dock stop I think, at ward's wharf approach right at the Thames Barrier. There's a giant block of apartments there with a thames view and they're good: the shared walls don't conduct noise at all which is fantastic. IDK what rent was because I was mooching off my friends before I moved to the USA.
Absolutely no shops nearby, though! And maybe a bit out of the way for you.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

redreader posted:

FWIW I lived further away: around the pontoon dock stop I think, at ward's wharf approach right at the Thames Barrier. There's a giant block of apartments there with a thames view and they're good: the shared walls don't conduct noise at all which is fantastic. IDK what rent was because I was mooching off my friends before I moved to the USA.
Absolutely no shops nearby, though! And maybe a bit out of the way for you.

I'm really trying to narrow down my options to get a place where i don't have to spend money on commuting to my job. I think i prefer to pay 530 ppm and not having to pay to commute than paying 400 ppm. In my first month i've seen that transportation expenditures really add up, so I'd really like to cut out those 4 or 5 pounds a day of transportation fees.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Yggdrassil posted:

I'm really trying to narrow down my options to get a place where i don't have to spend money on commuting to my job. I think i prefer to pay 530 ppm and not having to pay to commute than paying 400 ppm. In my first month i've seen that transportation expenditures really add up, so I'd really like to cut out those 4 or 5 pounds a day of transportation fees.

You'll still have to cough up for transport to your auditions though

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Kaiho posted:

You'll still have to cough up for transport to your auditions though

For sure, but that won't be a constant 2 trips everyday expenditure. I was talking of taking the work commute out of the equation.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

You're not looking on the Isle of Dogs itself are you? That's a massive brand new business district and all the apartments there are going to be priced for businesspeople. Look in Poplar or Limehouse or thereabouts.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Yggdrassil posted:

For sure, but that won't be a constant 2 trips everyday expenditure. I was talking of taking the work commute out of the equation.

Get a bike, it's cheap and you MIGHT not get killed. :black101:

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Be aware there's a massive transport strike from tomorrow afternoon through Thursday, so you'll be walking through crowds of commuters who have no idea about routes above ground or fighting to get on a bus with commuters who have no idea about routes above ground. Cycling would probably be the better option in that case.

Even though I walk to work most of the time, gently caress Tube strikes, even if I am on the drivers/staffs side.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Goldskull posted:

Be aware there's a massive transport strike from tomorrow afternoon through Thursday, so you'll be walking through crowds of commuters who have no idea about routes above ground or fighting to get on a bus with commuters who have no idea about routes above ground. Cycling would probably be the better option in that case.

Even though I walk to work most of the time, gently caress Tube strikes, even if I am on the drivers/staffs side.

Lol I'm flying through Gatwick and connecting with a train at Euston tomorrow. :suicide:

Thanks for the heads up, thread. It looks like I can catch a train direct from Gatwick to St Pancras and be OK.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Yggdrassil posted:

How is London treating you?

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
£500 a month may be pushing it, the last place I lived in north London had bedbugs and was a burglary nightmare. Just be careful dude.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

redreader posted:

How is London treating you?

Really well. I got in a better job and moved to a nice little room at Poplar, one that is at walking distance from the new job, so I don't pay for transport. I'm paying £450 a month for it and earning about £8 ph ere, so I'm really comfortable. I do understand London is quite expensive, but the first posts in this thread were kinda nuts... I'm saving about £400 per month with ease. Food is cheap (at least, compared to what it used to be in Argentina) so I'm quite happy with that. My new job is a call centre that only recruits actors, and they let you handle your weekly hours a piacere and leave immediately if you need to suddenly attend to an audition, so I couldn't have found a better actor survival job :) It's great for networking!

I got my hands on two really nice books, 'London, the Biography' by Peter Ackroyd and 'London Lore', by Steve Rodd, on the British Museum's store. I love reading about the city's history and folklore :)

captain poopfister posted:

£500 a month may be pushing it, the last place I lived in north London had bedbugs and was a burglary nightmare. Just be careful dude.

I am, don't worry :)

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Good lord for £450/mo. I also seriously doubt you'll be saving £400/mo on £8/hour, your take home is what £1200?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Saros posted:

Good lord for £450/mo. I also seriously doubt you'll be saving £400/mo on £8/hour, your take home is what £1200?

If he's taking home £1200 and spending £450 on rent and bills, has no travel costs and saves £400 that's £350 for food and entertainment. If he has a kitchen as well as a room eating on £200 as a single person isn't that hard. I dare say you could cut it even lower if need be. That's £150 a month or around £35 a week for entertainment. For someone who doesn't drink. I can't see why that's so unbelievable. poo poo is only real expensive if you lack a kitchen or have several mouths to feed and have to pay higher rent / bills. The op can go cinema once a week and have Netflix and a weekly takeaway or a couple of lunches bought out on that budget. If he's going really cheap on food most of the time that's even more true.

Let's say he goes to a supermarket and grabs meat from the 3 for £10 range. That'll usually provide at least 8 meals. So £40 a month can cover his meat costs. Get some ham and cheese and cheap bread for sandwiches, veg is never that expensive, cereal or porridge for breakfast and there's no reason he can't be living off half what I assumed even.

Edit: £1.82 mince from Morrisons can easily make 3 to 4 portions of bolognese or chilli.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 20, 2015

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

It seems a bit optimistic for £450pcm to cover the bills as well. Maybe Poplar is super cheap or something?

OP seems to have settled in well at least.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Really happy to hear it's going so well! If you're in Poplar I'd sign up for the cycle hire scheme and pay the yearly fee of £90. No need to buy your own bike, you have plenty of docking stations stations and one of the only decent Cycle Superhighways near you.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Masonity posted:

If he's taking home £1200 and spending £450 on rent and bills, has no travel costs and saves £400 that's £350 for food and entertainment. If he has a kitchen as well as a room eating on £200 as a single person isn't that hard. I dare say you could cut it even lower if need be. That's £150 a month or around £35 a week for entertainment. For someone who doesn't drink. I can't see why that's so unbelievable. poo poo is only real expensive if you lack a kitchen or have several mouths to feed and have to pay higher rent / bills. The op can go cinema once a week and have Netflix and a weekly takeaway or a couple of lunches bought out on that budget. If he's going really cheap on food most of the time that's even more true.

Let's say he goes to a supermarket and grabs meat from the 3 for £10 range. That'll usually provide at least 8 meals. So £40 a month can cover his meat costs. Get some ham and cheese and cheap bread for sandwiches, veg is never that expensive, cereal or porridge for breakfast and there's no reason he can't be living off half what I assumed even.

Edit: £1.82 mince from Morrisons can easily make 3 to 4 portions of bolognese or chilli.

I'm actually eating for about £120 per month, so yeah... totally achievable. I'm eating cereal for breakfast, and dining fish, rice, pasta, beef from time to time, and drinking juice (TESCO has a nice combo of about 2lts of fruit juice for £1.50 or so). I'm still sorting the veggies out, due to available space in the fridge, but I'll get there.

And yeah, after working in a pub, I can see how drinking would totally rip apart your wallet. Good luck I'm teetotal!

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

1st rule of drinking - invite someone who works at a different company and expense it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Glad to hear you're doing well! I lived similarly when I first arrived in london, since I was on about 200/week, had to pay travel expenses too, and drank. I think I had like 20 spare per week.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

1st rule of drinking - invite someone who works at a different company and expense it.

Totally works for 18 year olds with all of those business exec connections they have.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Do you remember at the start of the thread, all those people saying he was an idiot for thinking about it, he should stay in his own country and forget what might be... never, ever listen to goons.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Yggdrassil posted:

Really well. I got in a better job and moved to a nice little room at Poplar, one that is at walking distance from the new job, so I don't pay for transport. I'm paying £450 a month for it and earning about £8 ph ere, so I'm really comfortable. I do understand London is quite expensive, but the first posts in this thread were kinda nuts... I'm saving about £400 per month with ease. Food is cheap (at least, compared to what it used to be in Argentina) so I'm quite happy with that. My new job is a call centre that only recruits actors, and they let you handle your weekly hours a piacere and leave immediately if you need to suddenly attend to an audition, so I couldn't have found a better actor survival job :) It's great for networking!

I got my hands on two really nice books, 'London, the Biography' by Peter Ackroyd and 'London Lore', by Steve Rodd, on the British Museum's store. I love reading about the city's history and folklore :)

I am, don't worry :)

Glad to hear it. Next, get a history of the tube.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Bill Bryson's little book about Shakespeare has some AMAZING history of London it in too, specifically about london bridge.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

People were telling him he wasn't gonna become an actor and was gonna be stuck in an expensive cramped apartment making barely over minimum wage in some low-skill job. This is still all true so far as I can tell.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Saros posted:

People were telling him he wasn't gonna become an actor and was gonna be stuck in an expensive cramped apartment making barely over minimum wage in some low-skill job. This is still all true so far as I can tell.

Nope people were predicting much much worse for him. It taking years/being impossible to find a job, you'll end up living in horrible squats. He himself has always accepted that he'd have to be working menial jobs to be able to afford it, and it's good to see this actually working out.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Poplar is still all menial squats though.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
Just found this thread and having moved to London a few months ago it's been a good and fairly accurate read.
I moved over with my partner who works in recruitment, she was offered a job on our first day here which is pretty much unheard of. It took me three months to find full time work but I had savings and was able to do temp work in the mean time.
We pay £900pm between us for a tiny room in an old tennament flat in N1 that we share with a native Londonder. I bike to and from work which takes about 15 mins. Biking around is definitely a nice alternative to public transport but it appears that to drive a car in London the prerequisite is being a total oval office.

I get my first full paycheck at the end of the month and I'm excited as gently caress as I currently only have 27p in my bank account lol.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Rozzbot posted:

Just found this thread and having moved to London a few months ago it's been a good and fairly accurate read.
I moved over with my partner who works in recruitment, she was offered a job on our first day here which is pretty much unheard of. It took me three months to find full time work but I had savings and was able to do temp work in the mean time.
We pay £900pm between us for a tiny room in an old tennament flat in N1 that we share with a native Londonder. I bike to and from work which takes about 15 mins. Biking around is definitely a nice alternative to public transport but it appears that to drive a car in London the prerequisite is being a total oval office.

I get my first full paycheck at the end of the month and I'm excited as gently caress as I currently only have 27p in my bank account lol.

It better be a really nice room if you are paying £900 for it, or is it because you are sharing it with your partner?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Yggdrassil posted:

It better be a really nice room if you are paying £900 for it, or is it because you are sharing it with your partner?

N1. That's why it's £900 a month.

edit: He lives near Angel, Islington from the sounds of things. It's very central, very cool, and very expensive.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham

Yggdrassil posted:

It's a nice room (two windows!) but the rent is £900 because we are sharing the room. Our flatmate pays around £500 for her room which is significantly smaller than ours.
Angel is also a pretty cool area with good transport and loads of places to eat/drink.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Unless it's a much nicer room that's an absolute piss take. I get paying more to cover utilities and use of common areas but not that much more.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

opus111 posted:

Do you remember at the start of the thread, all those people saying he was an idiot for thinking about it, he should stay in his own country and forget what might be... never, ever listen to goons.

The only thing goons were really wrong about were the zero-hour contracts. He was lucky to fall into a however-you-like-hours-contract or "a piacere" contract. Which we couldn't really advise him as I have never heard of such an arrangement, not sure if many here have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Marenghi posted:

The only thing goons were really wrong about were the zero-hour contracts.

Yeah. And the £1100 for a lovely room thing. And the thing about not being able to save up anything. And the thing about needing £10.000 to move here and have a shot. And the thing about this city going to break me down. And... I could go on, but you get my point.

Of course I'm not denying other people's bad experiences, but for me this has been just excellent all along. I'm meeting really cool people, I have a little bit more than half of my monthly earnings on savings, and I'm discovering what it is to be independent in a truly awesome way. And it's been nothing like what the doomsayers from page 1 were predicting.

• Locked thread