Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Did your friend move with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Lady Gaza posted:

Did your friend move with you?

She stayed with me a night and then went to the Netherlands. She got a job at a graphic arts studio to design yachts, so she did move with a job lined up.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

So hows acting going?

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
I have an audition on Saturday to get into ISDA (an acting school) and an audition on Friday for a short film.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Yggdrassil posted:

And the thing about this city going to break me down.

Give it time, it'll happen :)

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
OP updated!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yggdrassil posted:

OP updated!

gently caress yeah living walking distance to work. When I was there in 2008 I had a 30 minute walking commute, and it was life-changing. If I were to do it again I'd probably bike, even.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yo OP, you seemed to be more interested in doing stuff like tabletop rpgs and other, more nerdy socializing: it is possible to do this for almost free in London, and Meetup.com is your friend. LondonOnBoard that I linked there is completely free (although please buy a drink/meal in the pub, since that's the way we get to go to pubs for free) and (mostly) normal people attend.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Tekopo posted:

Yo OP, you seemed to be more interested in doing stuff like tabletop rpgs and other, more nerdy socializing: it is possible to do this for almost free in London, and Meetup.com is your friend. LondonOnBoard that I linked there is completely free (although please buy a drink/meal in the pub, since that's the way we get to go to pubs for free) and (mostly) normal people attend.

Already doing that. I play Call of Cthulhu on Tuesdays at The Yard pub in Old Street, and today I'll meet the London Darkness group at Camden :)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That's cool. There are a LOAD of groups around London so yeah, just find what fits best. Most of them don't even require joining/membership fees, although it depends on the group.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

gently caress yeah living walking distance to work. When I was there in 2008 I had a 30 minute walking commute, and it was life-changing. If I were to do it again I'd probably bike, even.

Totally. Another great thing is that, if you don't care much about the £££ saving from the 'no-commute" factor, you can actually go ahead and look for a better room. If you paid £500 rent and £150 for commute, and you factor out the commute, you get £150 extra to find a better room and flat that the one you would have gotten with your £500.

And you still save up on time and stress :)

Tekopo posted:

That's cool. There are a LOAD of groups around London so yeah, just find what fits best. Most of them don't even require joining/membership fees, although it depends on the group.

I'm currently at a group called 'Dragons on the Hill', at The Yard pub in Old Street. It's a really nice group, and the people there are awesome. We are running Call of Cthulhu oneshots, preppin' up for the Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yggdrassil posted:

And you still save up on time and stress :)

This can't be emphasised enough. I had a 70 minute commute when I was in London, which is nearly two and a half hours a day on the tube. I still preferred it over a comparable commute back home in Australia where I'd be driving a car (because at least on the tube I can get a lot of reading done) but I was surprised by how slowly and steadily it sapped my will to live. Sometimes, at 11.30pm after a ten-hour shift, you just want to be home straight away, not traversing the entire Central line.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Yggdrassil posted:

Already doing that. I play Call of Cthulhu on Tuesdays at The Yard pub in Old Street, and today I'll meet the London Darkness group at Camden :)

If you haven't already, check out the Orcs Nest at 6 Earlham St, London WC2H 9RY, and Darksphere at Arch 186 Hercules Road London SE1 7LD for all your geeky gaming needs :)

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Renfield posted:

If you haven't already, check out the Orcs Nest at 6 Earlham St, London WC2H 9RY, and Darksphere at Arch 186 Hercules Road London SE1 7LD for all your geeky gaming needs :)

Done that. I'm playing X Wing on Thursdays now at Darksphere :) they have cool discounts and a nice community.

Leisure Games is the best store though, pity is quite far off!

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
If we're pimping nerd things, my favourite place is Hackney Area Tabletop Enthusiasts (HATE for short), a weekly club in Bethnal Green. It's heavy on the 40k but we're just finishing up a Blood Bowl tournament (next one starts in December) and about to start a Necromunda campaign. For non-GW stuff there's a fair few Infinity players, X-Wing, RPG groups and regular board/card games. Oh and we've had Mantic visit recently to demo Kings of War 2, and they'll be back at the end of the month to promo Dreadball and Deadzone.

Best of all it takes place at Bethnal Green Working Men's Club so it allows (well, encourages) drinking, and doesn't smell quite as bad as Dark Sphere on a Friday night ;)

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

glitchkrieg posted:

finishing up a Blood Bowl tournament (next one starts in December)

Argh do not tempt me.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Kaiho posted:

Argh do not tempt me.

Dooo it. Or come down for a friendly against my Orcs (and soon, Dark Elves) at least.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Which one of you is the guy in Dark Sphere that won't shut up about Napoleon?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

glitchkrieg posted:

Dooo it. Or come down for a friendly against my Orcs (and soon, Dark Elves) at least.

I don't have any minis here. So luckily, won't have to.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Kaiho posted:

I don't have any minis here. So luckily, won't have to.

Bah, you're no fun Kai.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

glitchkrieg posted:

Bah, you're no fun Kai.

I'll play Fumbbl with you.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Hey guys! New question popping up :) Do you know of any really good places to study in London? I've checked the London Library, but I think you need to be a member to study there, and membership is pretty expensive.

I wouldn't mind studying in a coffee shop, but I'm more comfy in a library!

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Though the Coalition didn't exactly help, London still has loads of free libraries. Most of them only require membership to borrow books, and even that membership is free.

Aren't you somewhere in Central?
https://www.westminster.gov.uk/find-library

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Some University libraries give you access to study, e.g. https://www.lse.ac.uk/library.

You can also join the British Library.

(I am out of academia now so it doesn't apply to me but be prepared to fight for seats)

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Please don't join the British Library if you don't need to. It's far too busy, and it really offers nothing unless you need access to specific items from the collection.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Aren't you living around Bow? Tower Hamlets' Idea Stores have stupid names but are really really good libraries.

The best thing about London's libraries is that about half of the boroughs are on what's called the London Library Consortium so you can use your card at any of the other boroughs' libraries, including their online ebook library. If Tower Hamlets didn't have a book I wanted there was a good chance I could find it at one of the libraries near my office in Ealing. Plus I can still use the ebook library presumably forever even though I have left London.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

freebooter posted:

Aren't you living around Bow? Tower Hamlets' Idea Stores have stupid names but are really really good libraries.

The best thing about London's libraries is that about half of the boroughs are on what's called the London Library Consortium so you can use your card at any of the other boroughs' libraries, including their online ebook library. If Tower Hamlets didn't have a book I wanted there was a good chance I could find it at one of the libraries near my office in Ealing. Plus I can still use the ebook library presumably forever even though I have left London.

I live in Poplar, two blocks away from Canary Wharf. I'm looking for libraries to find a comfortable place to study though, not to borrow books :)

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Yeah, but most libraries will have an area with desks and seats. Have you actually looked in to any of your local libraries to see if they provide this?

And its cool to see the Idea Store has been successful, I remember being impressed by the Whitechapel flagship many years ago when waiting for stuff at the local hospital.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Fatty posted:

And its cool to see the Idea Store has been successful, I remember being impressed by the Whitechapel flagship many years ago when waiting for stuff at the local hospital.

Yeah, me too. I worked a temp job at the flagship one for two weeks back in 2002, and always thought it was a pretty great idea.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Interesting... I'll check out the Idea Store at Canary Wharf then!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Chrisp Street Idea Store will be closer to you and IIRC it's much bigger. Also the Canary Wharf one tends to be really, really busy all the time. (I swear I only know this much about libraries because I could never afford to buy books in London so I'd go well out of my way to borrow a book I wanted.)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yggdrassil posted:

Done that. I'm playing X Wing on Thursdays now at Darksphere :) they have cool discounts and a nice community.

Leisure Games is the best store though, pity is quite far off!
I've been involved with the X-Wing community at Dark Sphere as well. I don't tend to go on Thursdays since I live pretty far away, but I go to most if not all the tourneys there for X-Wing/Armada. Let me know if you are ever up for a game.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

freebooter posted:

The Chrisp Street Idea Store will be closer to you and IIRC it's much bigger. Also the Canary Wharf one tends to be really, really busy all the time. (I swear I only know this much about libraries because I could never afford to buy books in London so I'd go well out of my way to borrow a book I wanted.)

Cool! I'll check that one out then.

Tekopo posted:

I've been involved with the X-Wing community at Dark Sphere as well. I don't tend to go on Thursdays since I live pretty far away, but I go to most if not all the tourneys there for X-Wing/Armada. Let me know if you are ever up for a game.

Whenever you wish to, mate :) I'm always up for a game, mostly on weekdays around 6 PM (with the exception of Tuesday).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Will probably go next Thursday when most of the other X-Wingers are playing.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Really glad to hear you're doing well, Yggdrassil! I've moved to London recently myself and honestly I think you're doing better than I am. I got back from a two year working holiday in Canada in June, spent a few months living with the parents getting myself sorted, and now I'm kind of stuck sleeping on my mate's floor until I can get a job that pays enough to get a place of my own. This thread has been pretty useful for learning the ins and outs but I feel like I'm not making the progress I want.

I'd like to get started as an actor in London as well so I was wondering how you were doing on that side of things? You mentioned a call center type job that caters to actors, I saw a listing for something like that but I've been hesitating because I've done sales before and hated it. How are you finding it? Or the bar work for that matter? Are there any resources or agencies you've been using that you'd recommend?

So far all I've had were interviews for jobs that offer less than 20 hours a week and an agency that interviewed very well, said they'd call Monday but so far haven't gotten back to me.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

CheeseThief posted:

Really glad to hear you're doing well, Yggdrassil! I've moved to London recently myself and honestly I think you're doing better than I am. I got back from a two year working holiday in Canada in June, spent a few months living with the parents getting myself sorted, and now I'm kind of stuck sleeping on my mate's floor until I can get a job that pays enough to get a place of my own. This thread has been pretty useful for learning the ins and outs but I feel like I'm not making the progress I want.

I'd like to get started as an actor in London as well so I was wondering how you were doing on that side of things? You mentioned a call center type job that caters to actors, I saw a listing for something like that but I've been hesitating because I've done sales before and hated it. How are you finding it? Or the bar work for that matter? Are there any resources or agencies you've been using that you'd recommend?

So far all I've had were interviews for jobs that offer less than 20 hours a week and an agency that interviewed very well, said they'd call Monday but so far haven't gotten back to me.

Hey man!

The job is really good actually, the sector I'm in doesn't involve sales, yet you still get commission from people that call wanting to buy poo poo. It's a pretty relaxed atmosphere (I can read, study, etc.) so I'm finding it pretty neat. I've even managed to study my Japanese at a pretty good pace when there's no work to do! However, this special account within RSVP (that's the name of the company) recruits mostly bilingual agents only (it's an international holiday booking agency).

In terms of acting, I auditioned and got into an evening drama school called "Identity" (http://www.identitydramaschool.com/about/identity-school-of-acting/). The teachers and administrators of the school have a pretty nice educational focus, and the school has it's own agency to which some of the students end up singed in (the agency has agents working in the new Star Wars movie, Game of Thrones, etc.).

I'm doing that, going to workshops when I can, and signing in for almost any acting job that I want to do on CastingCallPro to start building showreel.

So far, I'm having a great time here, though I do understand that the life level is incredibly lower than other European cities.

Basically, unless you have the potential to earn a lot, you don't move to London without a specific purpose (like acting) and you better go out and explore and enjoy the city's wonders -because that's where it truly shines!

Yggdrassil fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 21, 2015

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Is there some kind of business thing in London where everything has to be done on a Thursday? Suddenly all my applications have come home to roost and I'm being forced to turn down or reschedule interviews because they all want to do it on the 22nd.

BTW, Yggdrassil, do you have headshots and did you do them in London? I'm looking at getting some done soon, £230 for 4 to 5 outfits and 60 full body shots plus a makeup service. It's more than I'd like to be paying but the makeup service is part of the temptation for me.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

CheeseThief posted:

BTW, Yggdrassil, do you have headshots and did you do them in London? I'm looking at getting some done soon, £230 for 4 to 5 outfits and 60 full body shots plus a makeup service. It's more than I'd like to be paying but the makeup service is part of the temptation for me.

I'm getting headshots later this month. £230 is a lot. By the way, what kind of acting job are you looking for? You do know that makeup is actually not cool at all regarding headshots, do you?

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Yggdrassil posted:

I'm getting headshots later this month. £230 is a lot. By the way, what kind of acting job are you looking for? You do know that makeup is actually not cool at all regarding headshots, do you?

Interesting, I didn't. I'm being set up with commercials and advertising primarily, anything else that falls into their lap is less frequent. How much are you paying for yours? I have some existing shots but those are shoulder up and only one outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

CheeseThief posted:

Interesting, I didn't. I'm being set up with commercials and advertising primarily, anything else that falls into their lap is less frequent. How much are you paying for yours? I have some existing shots but those are shoulder up and only one outfit.

If it's for commercial work, then I don't know. For anything non commercial, your headshot should look like you normally look. Even touching up is frowned upon, unless it's light (casting directors don't want to see someone that doesn't look like the headshot they saw in the first place).

I'm paying about £175, £150. There are good photographers for those prices, but again: if it's for commercial work, I wouldn't really know what you need!

• Locked thread