Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Strom Cuzewon posted:

You can get a 25 and under rail card and link that to your Oyster. It'll shave about 30% off.

It's impossible to over-emphasise how messed up flat prices are here though. For comparison: I'm paying 740 a month, and consider this an absolute bargain. In Edinburgh I was paying 450, for a flat three times the size.

I was going to say that 450 is very cheap for Edinburgh as well, but I guess that that demonstrates the biggest downside to London - while the good/popular bits of Edi are very expensive as well (especially compared to the rest of Scotland) there are at least always a few cheaper options within easy public transport reach. In London, everything seems to be expensive.

While I liked London fine when working there for a few months, I'm still very happy that I said yes to a job in Edinburgh all those years ago. Still very international/metropolitan but a lot smaller in scale, and the scots are a much nicer people than the English. Come to Edi instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Tony Montana posted:

yeah brah! actually I just got back from living in the Italian Alps skiing everyday for 3 months, prior to that did the downhill season in Switzerland. I live in Australia and my girlfriend is a professional scuba diver. But hey, punch down another warm cider and hit up those hardbodies!

Congrats on going on a long holiday I guess?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Yggdrassil posted:

thou those expectations come mostly due to what i know about the actor's living standards :P

I've wanted to say this for a while now - it's 'though' :)

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

opus111 posted:

council-run gyms are the ticket.

In Edinburgh at least they tend to be a bit more expensive without really offering anything extra - 35/month versus 18 or so for the Pure Gym style ones.

Don't know if London council gyms are cheaper?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

kecske posted:

The time it takes to get your NI varies a lot but anecdotally the system seems to prioritise numbers for people who are employed over those who are receiving some kind of unemployment benefit. I'd guess 1-2 weeks but you always hear of fringe cases of several months, although since you're on somebody's payroll I imagine you'd fall into the former group and get it fairly soon. Sometimes you might be called in for an interview about your working circumstances and in that case they'd be able to give you a more solid wait time.

https://www.gov.uk/ is the best resource for all these kinds of questions.

Yeah that sounds about right - anecdotally, I got mine a week or two after moving here/starting my job. Everything was arranged via the various forms my employer had to fill in anyway, no extra input from me needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

It's maybe because I'm in Scotland (or moved here from the Netherlands)? My wife moved with me at the same time and she didn't have to interview either.

• Locked thread