Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Google isn't particularly well known for being very hands on and personal with their support. On the other hand, scaling support like how AWS works really sucks and is really expensive so it'll likely go to enterprise accounts primarily in practice I'd wager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Potato Salad posted:

What else are they gonna do?
Did you read the post or did you stop fifteen words in?

necrobobsledder posted:

Google isn't particularly well known for being very hands on and personal with their support. On the other hand, scaling support like how AWS works really sucks and is really expensive so it'll likely go to enterprise accounts primarily in practice I'd wager.
Yeah, but they hired Diane Greene, co-founder of VMware, to turn the Google Compute Platform ship around specifically so poo poo like this doesn't happen anymore.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

DevNull posted:

Someone's script being able to just disable VMs doesn't seem like a good place to be. http://www.fredtrotter.com/2016/08/22/google-intrusion-detection-problems/

That seems pretty bad, although you should have a proper support contract if you are running "multiple critical data stores" on cloud storage

jre fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 23, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Current pissy Azure rant:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I literally lodged a ticket 6 hours ago and they responded via e-mail which I selected so I dunno what's up.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

cheese-cube posted:

I literally lodged a ticket 6 hours ago and they responded via e-mail which I selected so I dunno what's up.
They send me the scope agreement and then all their follow-ups are by phone. This is the sixth consecutive ticket. I'm on a Microsoft Azure Sponsorship subscription though, so who knows how they're routing this poo poo. Basically everyone I talk to is from Wipro or MindTree.

e: I also picked the Azure feature request thing to complain because I told support directly and they told me to post it there "so their product team could capture it" because this is nobody's problem

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 27, 2016

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I am having the hardest time to get my LDAP to work with OpenStack.
Anyone willing to offer some help guiding me through? Thanks.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Relevant portions of keystone.conf? Brief description of ldap structure (what OUs are the users in, etc)?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
Has anyone had to solve for MFA on an AWS root account? Our compliance people are enforcing that we enable MFA on all of our Amazon accounts that my team manages, which isn't unreasonable. However, our team is 6 people, and we're trying to figure out how we can have a virtual MFA device that we all have access to. Email doesn't appear to be an MFA option, which would make this trivial via distribution list.

I feel like someone would have figured this out already, but I'm sort of stumped at the moment. Aside from registering a google voice number for SMS that relays to a team member, I'm not sure what else we can try.

Edit: To clarify, this is for emergency access. We have federated authentication that we use for day to day administrivia. Use of the root account would only be if something was badly broken. But we still want to make it so whomever is on-call has a way to get in without having to harass somebody else for their google authenticator.

Cidrick fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 15, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hardware token and a webcam :getin:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Can you not hand the same oauth keys out to multiple google authenticators?

Also:

Cidrick posted:

> To clarify, this is for emergency access

> But we still want to make it so whomever is on-call has a way to get in without having to harass somebody else for their google authenticator.

Kinda sounds like convenience is out of scope here. If federated services go down, you're in a situation where it is more than appropriate to call up a team member. Additionally, depending on the compliance set you're being forced to work with, it may be inappropriate for you guys to each individually have access to root accounts wherein the technician who logged into it cannot be audited. It is appropriate in some circumstances to require a key / password release procedure that logs who requested access and why. The only thing that ought to be able to defeat your audit trail is collusion.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 15, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Cidrick posted:

Has anyone had to solve for MFA on an AWS root account? Our compliance people are enforcing that we enable MFA on all of our Amazon accounts that my team manages, which isn't unreasonable. However, our team is 6 people, and we're trying to figure out how we can have a virtual MFA device that we all have access to. Email doesn't appear to be an MFA option, which would make this trivial via distribution list.
Send them all a picture of the QR code

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Backup codes / hardware token that's kept in a safety deposit box? Those require that you're in an access list, check drivers licenses, and log who uses it when.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Vulture Culture posted:

Send them all a picture of the QR code

Based on some rudimentary Googling, it seems like the QR code is only valid once, unless you time it that multiple devices use that QR code at the exact same time.

I haven't tested this, obviously.

Potato Salad posted:

Kinda sounds like convenience is out of scope here. If federated services go down, you're in a situation where it is more than appropriate to call up a team member. Additionally, depending on the compliance set you're being forced to work with, it may be inappropriate for you guys to each individually have access to root accounts wherein the technician who logged into it cannot be audited. It is appropriate in some circumstances to require a key / password release procedure that logs who requested access and why. The only thing that ought to be able to defeat your audit trail is collusion.

It's not merely a convenience thing. If you have One Phone and that phone's battery is dead, or accidentally gets wiped, or the person who owns it is in a cave and can't respond to a phone call, you're still out of luck.

We may end up using something like oathtool as a virtual MFA device. Of course, that opens up the question of 'where do we host it that we all have access to that doesn't use the same credentials as our federated access'. Which isn't really much of a problem now that I think about it, I guess, but I cringe at the second factor simply being password-protected host somewhere.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Cidrick posted:

Based on some rudimentary Googling, it seems like the QR code is only valid once, unless you time it that multiple devices use that QR code at the exact same time.

I haven't tested this, obviously.

It's not merely a convenience thing. If you have One Phone and that phone's battery is dead, or accidentally gets wiped, or the person who owns it is in a cave and can't respond to a phone call, you're still out of luck.

We may end up using something like oathtool as a virtual MFA device. Of course, that opens up the question of 'where do we host it that we all have access to that doesn't use the same credentials as our federated access'. Which isn't really much of a problem now that I think about it, I guess, but I cringe at the second factor simply being password-protected host somewhere.

The QR code just represents the shared secret. You probably should only look at it once, but you can enroll as many devices as you want at that time. As long as their clocks are synchronized they will generate the same codes.

When I set up 2FA I always enroll both my phone and my tablet using the same QR code, in case one of them dies.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Novo posted:

The QR code just represents the shared secret. You probably should only look at it once, but you can enroll as many devices as you want at that time. As long as their clocks are synchronized they will generate the same codes.

When I set up 2FA I always enroll both my phone and my tablet using the same QR code, in case one of them dies.

Yeah I think I misunderstood how the QR code worked. Essentially what I think we're going to do is just take the ASCII value of the QR code that AWS gives you when you set up MFA (lol acronyms) and store that in our secret vault. Anytime someone needs to log into the root AWS account, they will need to know the root creds as well as having that QR code loaded into their authenticator of choice.

Thanks thread!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

^^ The QR code is just a oauth key. You can use it many times.

false edit - ah, just a second too late ;)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Novo posted:

Google Authenticator app syncs across all my devices for me in my experience. I'm not quite sure if that's quite secure TBQH because it implies that the secret seed number and other factors are synchronized to another location away from your device.

The problem with a shared MFA stuck in a vault is that you can't revoke access to it necessarily if someone had access to it even after an emergency situation. You'll need a way to confirm or ensure rotation / revocation of existing MFA tokens as well if your security people are stringent. I had all my MFA keys after I left my last job and my account logins were all disabled once I lost access to my e-mail, but if it was your AWS root account you may not want to disable it completely outright (although AWS will tell you that you totally should go full hog IAM roles out the wazoo everywhere and don't bother using root accounts).

Root account credentials for AWS accounts at my last place were stored at datacenters using HSM (there were over 90+ AWS accounts - not quite change between the couch cushions).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

The problem with a shared MFA stuck in a vault is that you can't revoke access to it necessarily if someone had access to it even after an emergency situation.

Not sure I understand why this is the case?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Internet Explorer posted:

Not sure I understand why this is the case?
The MFA secret given out is not a one-time-use code to access the root account for a static period of time unless you reset MFA on the account after each use automatically. Security wants one and only one person to have root at any given moment and to have irrefutability and authenticity. A shared root account that someone or someones can have unrestricted access to without re-authenticating is a Bad Thing. The other option is to continuously rotate the root password though of course, but I got some weird response about that approach despite that being a lot more sensible than rotating freakin' MFA.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry, I guess I am just not understanding. How does a hardware authentication token not give out one time use keys? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Internet Explorer posted:

Sorry, I guess I am just not understanding. How does a hardware authentication token not give out one time use keys? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?
I wasn't meaning a hardware token but a soft token above where, for example, several users could scan the QR code. If you have a literal hardware token that can obviously be revoked and is unique. Most of the security / compliance principles I've seen invoked for MFA-everywhere also involve guaranteeing that all access and use of privileged accounts are traceable to a human operator and access can be revoked on-demand. A root AWS account means nothing about who logged in as the human using it in the first place.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
We solved this by making lookout accounts IAM for users in case our federated access fails. Our root account hardware device is kept in a safe alone with our root internal CA.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Hold the loving phone, google finally gets with the program.

https://cloud.google.com/powershell/

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

incoherent posted:

Hold the loving phone, google finally gets with the program.

https://cloud.google.com/powershell/

Hrm, if I have time/wherewithal for stuff I'll take a look at this to see whether it's poo poo/hot poo poo.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Just posting here to show off my new favorite shirt

http://www.ctera.com

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Let's say I want to have a working knowledge of cloud computing, and I'm coming from a place where I have no real technical experience. I'm just interested in learning more about the internet works. Sounds dumb, but I want to know. Where would I start?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

AWS youtube tutorials. You can have a derpy little blog up and running in a few hours for little or no cost.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

"How the internet works" is a really, really broad topic.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Admit it, you're just trying to start a nerd fight and watch the carnage, aren't you? That kind of post needs a trigger warning :v:

"Cloud" can mean a bunch of different things, depending on context. Can you elaborate more about what level you really want to know about? Dragging and dropping goatse.jpg into Dropbox or hosting your email at Office 365 can be "cloud". Or using AWS/Azure/Google/OpenStack (lol) to dynamically scale your entire infrastructure on-demand in response to traffic can be cloud. It's a ridiculously huge spectrum of meaning and I'm guessing you only care about some portion.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Admit it, you're just trying to start a nerd fight and watch the carnage, aren't you? That kind of post needs a trigger warning :v:

Why I never...!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Haha, I actually meant Convexed

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Haha, I actually meant Convexed

Oh.

Well then, I'm feeling defensive for absolutely no reason. None at all.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Convexed posted:

Let's say I want to have a working knowledge of cloud computing, and I'm coming from a place where I have no real technical experience. I'm just interested in learning more about the internet works. Sounds dumb, but I want to know. Where would I start?
This is basically like saying "I want to know how cities run." There are people who will focus on the politics and people who will talk for years and years about transit planning and civil traffic engineering. Which parts interest you?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
The other important part is "what do you know already that you think may or may not be relevant"? Secondly, do you even have an interest in those topics in the first place?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Convexed posted:

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781565920637.do

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I wonder when the internet stopped being so printable....

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

incoherent posted:

I wonder when the internet stopped being so printable....

I actually have a physical copy of that book that I found cleaning out a storage closest at a previous job.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I definitely had some kind of "internet yellow pages" physical book in the late 90s. It was literally just like 300 pages listing every significant website that existed. The idea is hysterical now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Docjowles posted:

I definitely had some kind of "internet yellow pages" physical book in the late 90s. It was literally just like 300 pages listing every significant website that existed. The idea is hysterical now.

I remember when Altavista was the best search engine and Yahoo was an actual index of sites grouped by category.

I also remember having a SLIP account to play on a MUD and download an 0.99 kernel version of Slackware to put on floppies. I'd get a floppy image via FTP to my SLIP account, use Z-Modem to pull it down to my computer and then get the next one. It took about a week.

When my ISP started offering PPP, it blew my mind.

• Locked thread