Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Part of the issue with Frostfound is that while it was probably made by Salt as a repository for the identity and memories of The Traveler so that he could stop being The Traveler and become Salt instead, other entities have since then used Frostfound as a place to put their own memories into as well for various reasons. Deep down in those crystalline halls there's no way to tell if those stored memories are still 'pure' or if they've started to run together a bit and the edges between which memory belonged to who are perhaps a little blurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I really want to know the deal with Kingeaters is. Can anyone loredump that?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I don't think there is lore to dump at this point.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Nobody knows. Kingeaters' is one of the unexplained islands. It is a place where one goes to give things up, that plus what you read during the Name Which Burns quest is about the extent of what we know about Kingeaters.

e: Here's a more extensive post that goes into more details about why exactly we have no clue what is going on with Kingeaters http://saint-beau.tumblr.com/post/112433341289/a-theory-re-kingeaters-castle

Neruz fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 15, 2015

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I believe it's been stated in the thread that what you see already posted here is what you get, unfortunately. As far as I know, Kingeater's isn't even a thing in Fallen London.

EDIT: This is what I get for not reloading before posting.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Where are Dragons discussed? I've played both games and I'd didn't know there was dragons.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

One of the only other hints that we get about Kingeaters is that sometimes there's a Glorious Dreadnought hanging out there. So the New Sequencers are at least interested in the place, for some reason

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
So seriously now. What happens to the rest of the crew on the ship now that we went EAST?

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
In my heart I'm choosing to believe that a Traveler requires a ship, and a ship needs a crew. So everyone still living gets to be space pirates!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Part of the crew, part of the ship.

Wait, that's (mostly) the wrong universe.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Figures I joined when there was only one mass purge left...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

After much effort, I've gotten to the end of the new content at the Chapel of Lights. In case anyone's interested, I'll post it here in spoiler tags

You are decapitated by the high priest at the altar, and then all of your internal organs are removed; those parts are going to become the chapel's new executioner. Wax is poured into your now hollow body, and then a woman from the second city turns you into a living, breathing candle person. Your new candle-self returns to the ship, wearing your old skin, and you go on playing as though nothing had ever happened. At this point the Chapel of Lights story is over. I don't know if there are any other in-game effects.

Presumably this turns you into a sleeper agent for Mr Eaten

http://i.imgur.com/SLLtB7j.png
http://i.imgur.com/G7mSJpu.png
http://i.imgur.com/cob8Ns8.png

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

...well. That's a thing.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I did not know candle-men were a thing that happens. Now I do.

I wish I didn't.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 18, 2015

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
Could've spoiled that Neruz....

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh fine jeez.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Let's be honest, at this point there isn't a single person in the Neath who hasn't been either replaced or possessed. They're all just wandering around pretending that humans are still a thing.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

MikeJF posted:

Let's be honest, at this point there isn't a single person in the Neath who hasn't been either replaced or possessed. They're all just wandering around pretending that humans are still a thing.

Sort of like that one Oglaf comic involving the shapeshifters.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Also, note the phrase "wax donated by lesser celebrants" and remember the tomb-colonists render their own flesh into candles.

I'm now thinking those don't deserve such pride of place in my rooms. Although lilac is such a pleasant scent.

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

After much effort, I've gotten to the end of the new content at the Chapel of Lights. In case anyone's interested, I'll post it here in spoiler tags

You are decapitated by the high priest at the altar, and then all of your internal organs are removed; those parts are going to become the chapel's new executioner. Wax is poured into your now hollow body, and then a woman from the second city turns you into a living, breathing candle person. Your new candle-self returns to the ship, wearing your old skin, and you go on playing as though nothing had ever happened. At this point the Chapel of Lights story is over. I don't know if there are any other in-game effects.

Presumably this turns you into a sleeper agent for Mr Eaten

http://i.imgur.com/SLLtB7j.png
http://i.imgur.com/G7mSJpu.png
http://i.imgur.com/cob8Ns8.png

Out of everything I've seen in FL and in Sunless Sea this actually freaks me out the most. Just being yep sure chop my head off and replace me with a simulacrum made of wax.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Presumably this also means that people from the second city are helping Mr Eaten with his reckoning

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Presumably this also means that people from the second city are helping Mr Eaten with his reckoning

I was wondering about that -- and specifically a woman, too. Could it be connected to the warrior-nuns somehow? I was under the impression that there were no Second-City-era tomb-colonists around, both because of the age and because the Tomb-Colonies were created by the god-priests of the Third City after the Third's Fall, so presumably most if not all of the non-nun, non-Duchess Second City population was dead.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

I was wondering about that -- and specifically a woman, too. Could it be connected to the warrior-nuns somehow? I was under the impression that there were no Second-City-era tomb-colonists around, both because of the age and because the Tomb-Colonies were created by the god-priests of the Third City after the Third's Fall, so presumably most if not all of the non-nun, non-Duchess Second City population was dead.

My understanding of the nuns is that they basically just exist to hunt the Vake and don't really get involved in power plays too much as a collective. I mean, I guess they could be involved with Mr. Eaten's reckoning as a way of indirectly loving over Mr. Veils, given the hand Veils had in his sacrifice,, but it seems like for now they've put most of the second city stuff behind them.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 18, 2015

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

You gain a relationship boost with the D_______ in Fallen London when you talk about Unaccountably Peckish, so she could be the one doing it, no?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tirinal posted:

My understanding of the nuns is that they basically just exist to hunt the Vake and don't really get involved in power plays too much as a collective. I mean, I guess they could be involved with Mr. Eaten's reckoning as a way of indirectly loving over Mr. Veils, given the hand Veils had in his sacrifice,, but it seems like for now they've put most of the second city stuff behind them.

I don't think that they limit themselves to Vake hunting, although that is most of what we see. Jenny is an "ex-nun", but she still secretly communicates with them. I think this implies that she's "undercover", working to bring down at least Mr Veils and possibly all of the Masters by feeding information back to the Sisters.

Also, Mr Eaten's reckoning could be related to the current activities of the nuns. He was mostly responsible for the fiasco with the Second City, according to the other Masters. He might have actually been complicit with them the entire time. He might have even created the Sisterhood. The presence of a woman from the Second City at the Chapel of Lights supports the idea of cooperation, at least.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What was the fiasco with the Second City anyway? I know the masters don't like talking about it, that it lead directly to the ... current role/status of Mr Eaten, and that the Bazaar spent a lot more time in the Second City than any of the other Fallen Cities, but I have no idea what happened. What did Eaten and the Citydo to invoke the wrath of the other masters so?

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

double nine posted:

What was the fiasco with the Second City anyway? I know the masters don't like talking about it, that it lead directly to the ... current role/status of Mr Eaten, and that the Bazaar spent a lot more time in the Second City than any of the other Fallen Cities, but I have no idea what happened. What did Eaten and the Citydo to invoke the wrath of the other masters so?

The Bazaar was chained there, in an empty city, and Eaten and The Duchess were complicit. But the other masters took their revenge on Eaten for that, by trading him to the kings of the Third City, and then taking back what remained of him after that, and making sure it would never, ever be found.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
It's been gone over a few times, here's some relevant spoilers from earlier in the thread.

MikeJF posted:

The Second City wasn't just poo poo and a failure: it was a trap that chained the Bazaar against its will with chains from 'the horizon-place'. It was a deliberate scheme. That's why they're so mad. The Masters themselves wouldn't have cared as much if it was just a dud, but it forced them to stay there for ages longer and not move to the next one and that they're very grumpy about.

Due to his part in the second city, Mr. Eaten then had something very nasty happen to him:

Redeye Flight posted:

The second, and much stronger connection, is to the Third City and thus to Mr. Eaten. The Third City had five wells (and the weather was better)--this is one of the only concrete things we know about it. Now, when I say well, you probably think of a thing with a stone ring and a pulley and bucket. That's fair. When we talk about Mayan wells we're referring more likely to cenotes, big limestone sinkholes that form natural reservoirs of fresh rainwater. Ideal for founding cities around, which is why many Mayan cities were. Ancient Mayans considered at least some of them sacred, and their underworld, Xibalba, was thought to be accessible through caves, particularly one in modern Guatemala.

In order to be killed, Mr. Candles was drowned in one of the wells of lacre--he refers to the "tears of the Bazaar". If I had to guess, the God-Eaters considered it a necessary part of the process due to the sacred nature of wells, their connection to the underworld, etc. As a result of this, wells and people IN them have become rather strongly associated with cannibalism and the bad kind of madness in the Neath--you can pull a card in Fallen London where a guy's ranting out of a disused well that will give you HELL of Nightmares and I think Unaccountably Peckish as well. And then there's that well at the Chapel of Lights.

So, basically: Mr. Candles, either willingly or by being tricked into it, helped the civilization of the Second City gently caress over the Bazaar. The Masters and the Bazaar did not take this well, and sought out a city that could kill a master. The third city was brought to the 'Neath for that purpose, and the priests of it ate Mr. Candles, killing him and spawning the evil phantom Mr. Eaten.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

double nine posted:

The second city was Amarna, and basically a giant waste of time. The Bazaar's whole schtick is the wholesale abduction of cities that are cultural hubs of great empires, so it can harvest love stories from them. Amarna was a capital, technically, but it was a new city established by the Pharaoh Akhenaten and then promptly abandoned after his death. Essentially a dead end.

The purchase of that particular city was arranged by Mr. Eaten (a Master is always involved) and on the side he also brokered a deal with the Pharoah's daughters to keep the Bazaar chained to that city in perpetuity. The mechanics of all this haven't really been made clear.

The other Masters eventually got fed up, especially as most of them are pretty weary of their relationship with the Bazaar and just want to get the whole endeavor over with already. Veils in particular really, really wants to gently caress off so he can murder-hunt interdimensional beings between the stars all day, and he betrayed Eaten to the Priest-Kings so they could move on to city #3.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 18, 2015

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Man, I love that the stories of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th cities are 'full' but havent been shown to us. It could very well be the case that what we know is all that was written or planned, but the mysterious peicemeal delivery is perfect for making Fallen London's world seem like the fullest thing ever.

I'm hopeful that in like 10 years they would tell the story of the 6th city. It could be a pulpy 1940s adventure of world war or present day. The 7th city could be a near future cyberpunk neo post apocalypse. Its just a lovely basis for any style and story.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

Man, I love that the stories of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th cities are 'full' but havent been shown to us. It could very well be the case that what we know is all that was written or planned, but the mysterious peicemeal delivery is perfect for making Fallen London's world seem like the fullest thing ever.

I'm hopeful that in like 10 years they would tell the story of the 6th city. It could be a pulpy 1940s adventure of world war or present day. The 7th city could be a near future cyberpunk neo post apocalypse. Its just a lovely basis for any style and story.

4th city has quite a lot of story via The Silver Tree, but yeah. The computers at failbetter contain so many secrets...

My favourite idea for the 6th city would be Fallen Manhattan in the 1920s or 30s. A city of twisted, tentacled Art Nouveau and Deco. The Empire State Building reaching up to nearly touch a giant stalagmite. Emerging technology taking advantage of the relaxed physics in the Neath to create everyday wonders.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

MikeJF posted:

4th city has quite a lot of story via The Silver Tree, but yeah. The computers at failbetter contain so many secrets...

My favourite idea for the 6th city would be Fallen Manhattan in the 1920s or 30s. A city of twisted, tentacled Art Nouveau and Deco. The Empire State Building reaching up to nearly touch a giant stalagmite. Emerging technology taking advantage of the relaxed physics in the Neath to create everyday wonders.

And then the New Sequencers finish the Dawn Machine :v:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

MikeJF posted:

That's pretty badass.

I wonder what those Liberation of the Night people think about electric lighting.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Assuming electric lighting even works reliably in the 'Neath. Electricity requires nice stable reliable laws of physics to work properly, something which the 'Neath kind of lacks.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if 'normal' modern tech steadily goes strange or stops working entirely when exposed to the 'Neath.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Neruz posted:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if 'normal' modern tech steadily goes strange or stops working entirely when exposed to the 'Neath.

Hey now, lets be fair. Everything steadily goes strange when exposed to the 'Neath.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Stroth posted:

Hey now, lets be fair. Everything steadily goes strange when exposed to the 'Neath.

Sure but I would expect modern electronics and computers to go strange faster or stranger, given how much they rely on extremely high precision applications of physics.

That said, I bet modern scientists would have a loving field day down in the Neath. Some of the poo poo they'd test down there would probably make the Dawn Machine look like a child's toy. Hell some smart bastard would probably try and build a particle accelerator down there just to see what happens.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Neruz posted:

That said, I bet modern scientists would have a loving field day down in the Neath. Some of the poo poo they'd test down there would probably make the Dawn Machine look like a child's toy. Hell some smart bastard would probably try and build a particle accelerator down there just to see what happens.

Two words, my friend: Theological Biotechnology. Who needs genetic modification when you have a Wings-of-Thunder Bat, some toadstools, and a stick?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I could see the New Sequencers succeeding and having a WW2 era game where they take the Nazi slot and the 6th city rallies half of the neath to be the allies. Some fun two fisted action right there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

I could see the New Sequencers succeeding and having a WW2 era game where they take the Nazi slot and the 6th city rallies half of the neath to be the allies. Some fun two fisted action right there.

The thing is, if the Dawn Machine actually activates... I can't imagine that that war will be fought with weapons that are even comprehensible to humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

MikeJF posted:

The thing is, if the Dawn Machine actually activates... I can't imagine that that war will be fought with weapons that are even comprehensible to humans.

It won't be; if the Dawn Machine activates there will be a brief and incredibly violent scuffle for control over it and what happens after that is anyone's guess. If the Dawn Machine can only control the laws of physics in the 'Neath then whoever controls it will effectively become a Small God, but if the Dawn Machine is superior to normal Judgements and able to override their commands (which is absolutely possible, considering Dawn's Law) then what happens next is entirely up in the air and depends on who ends up in control of it.

Of course it's also possible the Dawn Machine has a mind of its own, in which case aaaahh!

• Locked thread