Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Neruz posted:

It won't be; if the Dawn Machine activates there will be a brief and incredibly violent scuffle for control over it and what happens after that is anyone's guess. If the Dawn Machine can only control the laws of physics in the 'Neath then whoever controls it will effectively become a Small God, but if the Dawn Machine is superior to normal Judgements and able to override their commands (which is absolutely possible, considering Dawn's Law) then what happens next is entirely up in the air and depends on who ends up in control of it.

Of course it's also possible the Dawn Machine has a mind of its own, in which case aaaahh!

Possible, the text we got when we went through the Barnsmore Gap already told us it does and it is really, really pissed off at essentially everything, potato, potahto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Why is it so mad?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's a Robot Star\Judgement that is (probably) enslaved to the will of the puny mortals who built\control it, there are plenty of possible reasons why it would be upset.

If the Dawn Machine really is capable of overriding 'natural' Judgements (and the evidence would suggest that it totally is) then if it ever wakes the universe will never be the same again, literally, the laws of physics themselves will be forever changed.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 19, 2015

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Everywhere? You would think that at least one planet somewhere had a place like the Neath that made something like it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's possible someone else out in the universe is trying to build a Robot Judgement, but odds are pretty good that you need somewhere like the 'Neath where the Judgements cannot reach in order to build one without the 'Natural' Judgements coming down on it like the Hammer of God and it's unknown if any other such locations exist in the 'verse.

An interstellar war between Robot Judgements would probably not be an improvement to the status quo, all things considered.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
So I was looking at another LP, and apparently the guy's ship encountered a giant motherfucking eye underneath the water.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
But wouldnt it be fun? The only thing keeping these things in the neath is the roof. If that maginot line gets breached, well the stakes have not been higher in history. Seeing the masters and bazaar convince 1930s america to come down to zea and yell "FIXIT FIX IT FIX IT". Dogfights between the refugees of fallen london and newly fallen manhattan and an axis of the khanate allying with the sequencers, Irem gets splintered and the dreamlands become a war torn land when litteral hopes and dreams fuel elecric generators like oil does, the judgements sending unguided wrathful agents through the canal. The possibilities are endless, but the peices are already set so it is so easy to imagine some metal poo poo.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 19, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gideon020 posted:

So I was looking at another LP, and apparently the guy's ship encountered a giant motherfucking eye underneath the water.

I'm pretty sure we talked about the eye a few pages ago; it's one of several possible 'empty' squares that can appear randomly anywhere along the south. Presumably it belongs to some gigantic undersea horror but there is no more information beyond that; perhaps we will learn more when the Zubmarine DLC eventually makes its way onto the market.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does the neath only exist because the Sun deliberately shaped the earth to give her lover somewhere to hide? Or is it a 'natural' feature?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

The Lone Badger posted:

Does the neath only exist because the Sun deliberately shaped the earth to give her lover somewhere to hide? Or is it a 'natural' feature?

Unknown.

e below: Yeah the Neath definitely predates the Bazaar. Exactly why it exists is anyone's guess though. Given the nature of the setting it was probably just coincidence or a mistake on the part of the Judgements.

That said; the Judgements are absolutely aware both that the Neath exists and that it is beyond their sight and control. What that actually means is anyone's guess.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 19, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

It seems to predate the Bazaar by a fair bit, so likely not for that purpose. We don't really know why the Neath exists.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Neruz posted:

And then the New Sequencers finish the Dawn Machine :v:
"The fifth will live on in the heart of the sun..."

I believe that the Dawn Machine will be London's equivalent of Far Khanate, Polythreme and the Chapel of Lights. A legacy that endures beyond the zee after the city that spawned it crumbles into lacre.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Ephemeron posted:

"The fifth will live on in the heart of the sun..."

Oh poo poo I totally forgot about that line, goddamn that does indeed suggest that the Dawn Machine will be the final legacy of Fallen London :stonk:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
THE SUN never sets on the british empire

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Neruz posted:

Oh poo poo I totally forgot about that line, goddamn that does indeed suggest that the Dawn Machine will be the final legacy of Fallen London :stonk:

Once the Dawn Machine rises you won't need London.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

MikeJF posted:

It seems to predate the Bazaar by a fair bit, so likely not for that purpose. We don't really know why the Neath exists.

Wasn't it supposed to originally be the corpse of that thunder god that yells at people through mirrors?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Well, whatever else it does it definitely seems to be able to manipulate minds given how when you turn up to the Geode you generally remember having a pleasant time and agreeing to things and leave with half your crew gone.

The only question is whether that applies to everyone in the Geode or whether that is an effect targeted at visiting outsiders. The glowing eyes etc do rather make me think of a general influence over the sequencer agents.

P.S. I also started playing Fallen London after reading this LP: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Vasenor

P.P.S. Could the Kingeater be tied to the Monarch mentioned in Frostfall?

Munin fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 19, 2015

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
My take on the Dawn Machine is that it's already awake enough to exert some sort of mind-fuckery, hence the weird glowing eyes and fanaticism among it's agents and it's complete removal from London's control.

I don't think this is an accident. I think this is the Judgements' latest attempt to get an agent into the Neath. The last two got severely hosed up while trying to get in, so this time they're trying to build the ship inside the bottle. Storm, Salt, Stone... Sun?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
What's London's Government's take on the Dawn Machine anyways?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Artificer posted:

What's London's Government's take on the Dawn Machine anyways?

Based on the most recent Exceptional Story, Her Enduring Majesty wants to muster the might of the Navy to decisively crush the Dawn Machine at some point. I'll take that as 'disapproval'.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

nweismuller posted:

Based on the most recent Exceptional Story, Her Enduring Majesty wants to muster the might of the Navy to decisively crush the Dawn Machine at some point. I'll take that as 'disapproval'.

What might of the Navy? They're the ones running it.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

wiegieman posted:

It's pretty clear that the Admiralty is split, and only a portion of the Navy has split into the New Sequencers. It's an internal division, not a wholesale loss of the Navy.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

wiegieman posted:

This is a bit of a problem, yes.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You know, I've read all the Second City lore and I think I've got as good a grasp on most of it as anyone who's actually into this poo poo, but why the hell did the princesses go to these lengths to try and screw the Bazaar in the first place? What did they even get out of it?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Megazver posted:

You know, I've read all the Second City lore and I think I've got as good a grasp on most of it as anyone who's actually into this poo poo, but why the hell did the princesses go to these lengths to try and screw the Bazaar in the first place? What did they even get out of it?

The only bit of this I know for sure is that the second city was paid for via the salvation of the youngest sister's betrothed, who was dying of snakebite. The Masters transformed the dying man into the Cantigaster, an immortal, quasi-human poison reservoir; the youngest sister presumably got immortality as well in the bargain, and is now the Duchess. (She uses a ton of makeup to look both Caucasian and elderly.) It's possible the princesses of Amarna set out to gently caress over the Bazaar because of that deal's sub-optimality, but it's also possible that the Bazaar was a known entity ever since the First City's fall (or before?) and they were deliberately acting against it. I know there's some Hunter's Keep content that implies that the Bazaar was known in the ancient world and entangled with humans even then.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I want there to be more games set in the Fallen London world. This is as enjoyable as Gloranthia chat, even if it does end up looking like a CIA document.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If the Masters are going to pull that kind of bullshit in a deal they should expect someone to chain them down for a few millenia.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

wiegieman posted:

If the Masters are going to pull that kind of bullshit in a deal they should expect someone to chain them down for a few millenia.

The best part is that this is honestly about as good as a deal has ever gone, in that the Duchess and the Cantigaster are still together. As much as the Masters hate the Second City, it probably gave them the best love story to date, barring maybe whatever develops with the Empress and Consort.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

The only bit of this I know for sure is that the second city was paid for via the salvation of the youngest sister's betrothed, who was dying of snakebite. The Masters transformed the dying man into the Cantigaster, an immortal, quasi-human poison reservoir; the youngest sister presumably got immortality as well in the bargain, and is now the Duchess. (She uses a ton of makeup to look both Caucasian and elderly.) It's possible the princesses of Amarna set out to gently caress over the Bazaar because of that deal's sub-optimality, but it's also possible that the Bazaar was a known entity ever since the First City's fall (or before?) and they were deliberately acting against it. I know there's some Hunter's Keep content that implies that the Bazaar was known in the ancient world and entangled with humans even then.

The second city itself was the trap, so they had to have decided to screw over the bazaar before the deal was struck

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

wiegieman posted:

It's an important note that the Bazaar and its agents seem to be genuinely trying to make fair deals. The problem is that it is an ageless crustacean-squid-traveler between the stars who once knocked up/got knocked up by the Sun whose tears can erase souls, and its agents are a bunch of effectively immortal and obsessive bat-creatures from across time and space. Their collective understanding of human behavior, cognition, and not to put too fine a point on it, biology, is effectively nil. They have gotten much better since the time of the First City, but they are still very, very bad at understanding us.

Their intentions are good. They very clearly have the power to deliver on the various deals they make. Whether they have the capability, however, is a distinction that to date only the God-Eaters seem to have looked into. Panned out pretty well for them, though!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The God-Eaters definitely got the best deal out of all the Cities thus far; they asked for the flesh of a god and they basically got the flesh of a god. While yes the Masters aren't really 'gods' by modern standards by ancient Mayan (or indeed most ancient human) standards they absolutely qualify. It also seems like they didn't hang around in their fallen city (Hopelchèn I think is the current lead candidate?) until it was crushed by Karakorum and they instead moved north and founded a number of Tomb Colonies including Xibalba, where they still live and rule even to this date.

The wanted to eat a god and become immortal, they ate a god and became immortal. All in all that worked out quite well for them.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Aren't the god-eaters also the only ones who've dealt with the masters that didn't make a request involving love or a loved one? Everyone else wanted to save their lovers or something similar, while they wanted power and immortality.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ousire posted:

Aren't the god-eaters also the only ones who've dealt with the masters that didn't make a request involving love or a loved one? Everyone else wanted to save their lovers or something similar, while they wanted power and immortality.

Yep!

It's possible there was a love story involved tangentially in some way, we don't know. But it looks on the surface like they were picked not because of a love story but as a means to punish Mr. Candles for the gently caress-up with Amarna.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I want to say Karakorum also didn't involve a real love story -- possibly a fake one to gain the Masters' attention, but the major goal was just "poo poo, we're surrounded by enemies, we could use some help." Note that the parties involved in love-based deals seem to be immortal -- the Manager of the Royal Bethlehem/the King with a Hundred Hearts, the Duchess/the Cantigaster, possibly the Empress and Consort -- and it's an FL plot point that the Gracious Widow, who was involved with the deal that made Karakorum the Fourth City, is not immortal. She's been able to finagle her way to enduring life and health so far, thanks to brandy smuggled in from the Elder Continent, but losing that brandy supply is implied to do bad things to her. Compare that to the Duchess, who looks 30 under her makeup.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I have a question: What the hell is the Vake, what does it want and what is its connection to the Masters? If what I've read is true (it's a Master) why the hell is it playing predator/prey with the battle-nuns?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

double nine posted:

I have a question: What the hell is the Vake, what does it want and what is its connection to the Masters? If what I've read is true (it's a Master) why the hell is it playing predator/prey with the battle-nuns?

Because it's bored. So bored. It was (probably) a hunter out in space and life in the Neath sucks by comparison.

It's Mr Veils, it's pissed off at the Bazaar, pissed off at this stupid contract it's been locked into, and it just wants to get out of here. In the meantime at least it can hunt some humans.

jpublic
Aug 14, 2015
Wouldn't the devils and demons running around the Neath take exception to the idea of a proto-Judgement setting laws up? One would think that would cramp their interests and as such they'd take vehement exception to it.

On another note, if Judgements are stars, what role might black holes play in this cosmology?

Great LP, by the way. Convinced me to not only pick up Sunless Sea, but join SA.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

jpublic posted:

Wouldn't the devils and demons running around the Neath take exception to the idea of a proto-Judgement setting laws up? One would think that would cramp their interests and as such they'd take vehement exception to it.

On another note, if Judgements are stars, what role might black holes play in this cosmology?

Great LP, by the way. Convinced me to not only pick up Sunless Sea, but join SA.

I doubt the Devils can do much about a proto-Judgement. Not many things can.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

jpublic posted:

Something old. Something hungry. Something that knows the light is only temporary, that the borders between dream and reality, between death and life, are less firm than the Judgements would have you know. Something whose fire has been snuffed, and now only burns with the strength of its hunger. Something that knows a reckoning cannot be postponed indefinitely.

~if it sounds a bit familiar clap your hands~

(there is absolutely no backing in Fallen London for any of this, but it stands to reason.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
As good a theory as any.

• Locked thread